2.0 combat

JakErss

I never really had a chance to get on the PTS and play with the new Combat tree. I've herd from other people that Combat is "broken" and that it needed to be fixed, so idk if/and/or/what was broken, or if it was fixed, so can some one fill me in on the update, i also went and set up a build but idk how good it is untill and can actually try it, has anyone else come up with some nice build for Combat? post them up here!

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/sentinel/233/?build=002300000000000000000000000000000320322021201222012202300320010001000000000000000000000000000000&ver=20

I never really had a chance to get on the PTS and play with the new Combat tree. I've herd from other people that Combat is "broken" and that it needed to be fixed, so idk if/and/or/what was broken, or if it was fixed, so can some one fill me in on the update, i also went and set up a build but idk how good it is untill and can actually try it, has anyone else come up with some nice build for Combat? post them up here!

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/sentinel/233/?build=002300000000000000000000000000000320322021201222012202300320010001000000000000000000000000000000&ver=20

Nah, its not broken, its just a little harder to play and is you have less reliable burst, because it is more based on RNG now. Combat/Carnage will still be pretty good for pvp

The issue is with Alacrity. It plays a bigger role in 2.0 with even the GCD being effected. This makes it so that a Combat Sentinel that pops Zen gets a huge boost in Alacrity. This allows for more attacks. The down side is in Focus usage.

Alacrity will also build up your energy for the big attacks. Except Jedi Knight/Sith Warriors as they build up energy differently then all the other classes. Therefore, while a Combat Sentinel will get more attacks in, they will also lose Focus faster because they don't get the second benefit.

The issue is with Alacrity. It plays a bigger role in 2.0 with even the GCD being effected. This makes it so that a Combat Sentinel that pops Zen gets a huge boost in Alacrity. This allows for more attacks. The down side is in Focus usage.

Alacrity will also build up your energy for the big attacks. Except Jedi Knight/Sith Warriors as they build up energy differently then all the other classes. Therefore, while a Combat Sentinel will get more attacks in, they will also lose Focus faster because they don't get the second benefit.

They do gain benefit of quicker focus generation from alacrity. With the reduction of the global cooldown, they can activate focus generating abilities in quicker succession. Using a simple example, if a sentinel with 33% alacrity used strike 3 times to generate focus, it would take 3 seconds to generate 6 focus compared to 4.5 seconds with 0%.

True, but you take a DPS hit with that. Other classes do not.

It was a basic example for simplicity. We're not taking a DPS hit because we'll be using the same abilities to generate focus (leap, zealous strike, stasis, etc), we'll just be able to get them off quicker due to reduced global cooldown. Basically the more alacrity you have, the faster you'll generate and spend focus. The same is true with every other class.

I can tell you from experience and so can a lot of other sents that tested combat in 2.0 thoroughly that aside from the alacrity granted in ur zen, its a waste to stack it otherwise unless they have some how magically adjusted it for Knights and Warriors, since test went down.

The GCD cool down doesn't yield real world results.

Edited by Ramaral
added extra line

It was a basic example for simplicity. We're not taking a DPS hit because we'll be using the same abilities to generate focus (leap, zealous strike, stasis, etc), we'll just be able to get them off quicker due to reduced global cooldown. Basically the more alacrity you have, the faster you'll generate and spend focus. The same is true with every other class.

You're missing the point. Yes, you can activate Strike faster, but alacrity doesn't reduce the cooldown on Zealous Strike, Force Leap, Stasis or Zen (for Focus sentinels). Strike is an absolutely terrible focus builder, and having to use Strike more per Zealous Strike is a significant DPS loss over theoretical ideals.

Basically, what you're saying is that Gunslinger shouldn't get an energy regeneration benefit from alacrity either, since they can always insert more Flurry of Bolts (an energy-positive attack).

Regarding the OP, Combat works in 2.0. It puts up decent numbers, and the burst is still good (albeit less predictable), but the spec feels extremely janky. You're *always* Focus starved, and you feel much, much less in control of your priority queue. The new Zen seems great the first time you hit it and then see the super-fast Cauterize animation, but then you drain yourself out of Focus an instant later and you realize how annoying things have become. Honestly, I don't find 2.0 Combat to be particularly fun or rewarding. It works, and it's still a potent spec, but I doubt I will be using it anymore when I get my Sentinel to 55.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

So sad this is going to live as is per the released patch notes, as Ninja above said people still can do decent in combat but the spec is no where near as fluid as it used to be and it has you always in resource crisis mode. I have played combat sent a long time and i really like the spec. It is disheartening to be thinking of switching to juyo. BW didn't have to return zen to its pre-2.0 glory but i would appreciate at least some buff to focus generation in return for this change. Really, the best part of ataru zen is now in the set bonus i feel which is horrible. With that and the load of useless perks (for pve) combat sents have to talent into, it seems BW really wants to make it a PvP spec and have PvE'rs migrate back to juyo. I really do not understand or appreciate this direction. Very disappointed in you, BW.

Combat has been ****ed over royally. It was never as efficient or effective in terms of pure dps utility as focus but the gap is now wider than ever. It's not worth speccing into, vigilance seems to be better. The spec was powerful but not out of line when compared to some others. What dementia possessed them to nerf it to such a degree? Edited by Aelaias

Combat has been ****ed over royally. It was never as efficient or effective in terms of pure dps utility as focus but the gap is now wider than ever. It's not worth speccing into, vigilance seems to be better. The spec was powerful but not out of line when compared to some others. What dementia possessed them to nerf it to such a degree?

1. Dps and utility are separate things, combat has the most utility of the 3 specs, then watchman, then focus.

2. What nerf???? The spec plays a little different, but imho its as good or better than it was in 1.7

You chaps should try the new vigilance. This is what combat used to be. Lost damage from procs, blade storm, focus from zen, master strike. Still as vulnerable to cc as ever. Now my only concern is their PVP performance and as far as I can see it's in the crapper. Focus is great on the other hand, much more effective and/or enjoyable than either combat or guardian focus. That's my take.

You're thinking of the Focus spec.

LOL, no I am not. The little dots that for most people seem to be obligated to mean that vigilance is more like watchman are in fact more similar in function to the ataru proc which is padding the damage of the main damaging abilities and resetting dispatch. To be sure, I am talking about the way spec functions in pvp where engagement times are very short compared to boss fights.

Edited by Aelaias

I am finding I am constantly focus starved. I would LOVE to see combat get some kind if natural focus regen. I am having a lot of problems nailing a constant rotatiom that can keep up with other classes. It's not a learn to play problem, its a focus issue.