How do the experience boosts add up?

Slaign

I'm playing my Knight on Coruscant, and I'm not complaining or anything, but I don't understand where I'm getting all this experience from.

For example, I completed the quest Gree: Hydrosupply Leak, and the online databases say it should give 1840 Exp. My game crashed, so I don't know if my number is exact, but it's close: I got something like 6487 experience for handing it in.

So, it's a double experience weekend, so there is that. Still, that number is far more than 200% boost. Math isn't my strong suit, but that would be about 352% increase, would it not? Where the heck is all that extra experience coming from?

Isn't rested XP not supposed to be counted during double XP? So it shouldn't be that?

I have all 5 Legacy "Class Mission" experience boosts, but everything I've looked into has said that these boosts count ONLY for class specific missions, not for planetary missions.

It's possible I had a 25% boost buff on when I ACCEPTED the mission, but it was definitely expired when I handed it in.

I am a subscriber if that matters, but I thought that subscribers don't get bonus experience but rather non-subscribers get an experience penalty? Or is that not the case?

Can anyone help me get my head around where it's all coming from? I'd like to know what's going on with my experience so I can maximize my gains now and in the future.

The experience attached to a quest is what you get for finishing it, you also get experience for every enemy you fight.

If your a sub, you get extra experience if you're rested (your health bar is greeen when rested).

You will get double experience for the double xp weekends.

If you're using a exp boost, that'll give extra xp.

With the possible exception of the rested boost they all stack.

The experience attached to a quest is what you get for finishing it, you also get experience for every enemy you fight.

If your a sub, you get extra experience if you're rested (your health bar is greeen when rested).

You will get double experience for the double xp weekends.

If you're using a exp boost, that'll give extra xp.

With the possible exception of the rested boost they all stack.

I'm talking about the final dialogue box, the experience granted upon turn in. I don't think that counts all the kills you got, since you get the kill experience at the time of the kill.

The tooltip says that rested experience is disabled during double experience weekends.

I was using an experience boost when I accepted the quest, but not when I turned it in.

I turned in a quest that ought to reward 1840 EXP on completion and got 6487 EXP on completion. That's 352% of the EXP total I ought to have recieved without any XP boosts active.

I had a 200% boost from the XP weekend, but that's all, when I turned in the quest. That leaves quite a big discrepancy.

The only other XP boost I have is for "Class Missions" via the Legacy Character Perks. All the information on this perk I've found claims it doesn't count towards planetary quests like the one I did.

So 1840 * 2 = 3680. That leaves 2807 experience that I can't account for.

First of all, those sites don't necessarly have true or recent information, so if something doesn't add up first suspect should be if information is real.

Then, we have 4 factors affecting exp. Base exp that quests give, boosted exp, rested/double exp, and player level. Base is obvious, rested works in same way as double exp weekends, except that it doubles base exp from everything, not only killing mobs. Boosts works of that base exp(sometimes doubled), and increase character exp gained, but don't increase legacy exp(at least according to some yellow post, legacy exp is based only on base exp, doubled if applicable). Level also affects how much you gain from kill/quest, but I'm not sure when you gain most exp. In case you significantly overlevel content(gray quests/mob), you get no/almost no exp. In case you are significantly underleved for sontent, it's supposed to also give significantly reduced rewards. Each level of advanatage decreases gained exp, so I guess that to some point, each level of disadvantage increases gained exp.

Sidenote:

I was using an experience boost when I accepted the quest, but not when I turned it in.

Exp is calculated on turn in, so active boost when you take quest doesn't change anything.

I suppose the sites might be out of date. Still, I checked multiple sites and they all had the same numbers, and I did multiple quests with the same results. I'd imagine that the numbers are at least round or a multiple of 5, so I'm still wondering how I ended up with a experience reward that ends in a 7.

As for my level, the mission was green, so I would think if anything I'd get less.

Try it again, this time get hard numbers instead of "about" 6400 xp?

Also note that xp can be added at different stages.

For example, double xp is a 200% boost (basexp*2). Experience boosts is a 25% boost. But it gets calculated after the double - (basexp*2*1.25) , not (basexp*2.25).

It's possible every single class boost is also calcuated this way, so instead of a 30% boost, its 1.06*1.06*1.06*1.06*1.06 which ends up being more?

Try it again, this time get hard numbers instead of "about" 6400 xp?

Also note that xp can be added at different stages.

For example, double xp is a 200% boost (basexp*2). Experience boosts is a 25% boost. But it gets calculated after the double - (basexp*2*1.25) , not (basexp*2.25).

It's possible every single class boost is also calcuated this way, so instead of a 30% boost, its 1.06*1.06*1.06*1.06*1.06 which ends up being more?

I'll let you know what my next XP gain is, but I'm pretty sure my number of 6487 is correct for the quest I did. I have a pretty good memory for numbers, but my client had a graphics crash so I didn't have it on my screen anymore.

As for the multiplicative way of adding it up, I've heard that too. I tried using that method, but I must be missing something. No matter what method I used I seem to come in way under what I actually got. I'll let you know the numbers for my next quest, I'm about to log back in now.

I'm not sure rested experience is disabled during the Double Exp weekends. It doesn't double the double (so to speak) but I do think it affects experience gained.

I decided Saturday that I would not be playing the game during Double Weekends because I was leveling too fast and could not get/afford the gear/modifications upgrades to keep up with my level and pay for training (both character and crafting).

What I noticed playing was that I was getting more experience on double weekends than I was during the week. The only difference was the double weekend. I haven't seen the "normal" color of an experience bar for months on my main and primary alt, and only briefly after creating a new character. To me, the experience bar is always green (or at least has a sizable section on the remainder of the bar that is green).

What I think is happening is that both apply, but not to each other. For example: A quest normally rewards 5k exp. With Double Weekend, it's 10k. With Rested it's also 10k. What looks like is happening is that you get the doubled exp from both, so you get 15k total; 5k for the quest, 5k for the Double Weekend, and another 5k for the Rested.

Ok, turned in another one, here's what I got.

The quest: White Noise (on Coruscant)

My level: 16

Quest color: Green

Torhead's number for the base XP: 2275

Experience I recieved on turn in: 7637 (335%)

* My EXP bar is green (rested,) however the tooltip reads "During this time rest experience will not be applied or consumed"

* I have all 5 Legacy "Class Mission Experience" character perks, but this was a planetary mission, not a class mission.

* I am a subscriber

* I did not have any consumable EXP boost active

I might have an explanation. I remember hearing (and I have no idea how reliable this is) that F2P players don't recieve an XP penalty, but rather subscribers get a 35% XP boost. If rested XP is bugged and still applying, then perhaps I'm getting the base 100%, an extra 100% for double weekend, an extra 100% for rested, and an extra 35% for subscriber bonus. That would give me the 335% total.

I'll post the numbers for the next class specific mission I turn in too.

I might have an explanation. I remember hearing (and I have no idea how reliable this is) that F2P players don't recieve an XP penalty, but rather subscribers get a 35% XP boost. If rested XP is bugged and still applying, then perhaps I'm getting the base 100%, an extra 100% for double weekend, an extra 100% for rested, and an extra 35% for subscriber bonus. That would give me the 335% total.

I'll post the numbers for the next class specific mission I turn in too.

If the XP boost for subscribers is actually how the difference in XP between subs and F2P works*, then this looks right to me. If true, the the problem is with the Rested bonus still being applied.

*This makes sense to me since I think it'd be easier to apply a bonus than a penalty in calculating XP as far as stability is concerned. You'd also avoid problems and possible errors when XP boost items are applied.

Hmm, this is interesting. I found this post:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5500878&postcount=19

So I think F2P does get reduced xp, but after a certain patch the quests by default gave extra xp, and fansites may not have updated it.

So I think I found the solution!

Torhead says the xp from the quest is 2275. But post-1.5, quest xp was increased for all, about 1.25 times. So the actual xp quest today (without xp, with sub) would be 2844. Then, assuming class xp is added each time (so its not 1.3 times but 1.06 and 1.06 and 1.06), so the total xp calculated is: torheadbasexp * 1.25* 2.0 * (1.06)^5

2275*1.25*2*(1.06)^5 = 7611

Which is pretty darn close to 7632, and I was just guessing the post-1.5 boost of 1.25!

So I think F2P does get reduced xp, but after a certain patch the quests by default gave extra xp, and fansites may not have updated it.

But that's not actually conclusive. It could be just as likely that the sub boost is applied to all characters below level 10 and if your account isn't flagged as a Subscriber when you ding 10, then the boost is not switched on the next time you log in. To an outside observer, it would be impossible to tell the difference without seeing the code itself.

Actually, since he mentioned that he continued to get the same XP with his F2P character as his Subbed account until he logged off, I'm inclined to suspect that something always there 'stopped being turned on' rather than something new getting 'turned on'. Also, coding wise it's easier and less prone to mistakes if it's all addition or all subtraction when calculating numbers than its is to mix and match them.

Edited by Uldihaa

But that's not actually conclusive. It could be just as likely that the sub boost is applied to all characters below level 10 and if your account isn't flagged as a Subscriber when you ding 10, then the boost is not switched on the next time you log in. To an outside observer, it would be impossible to tell the difference without seeing the code itself.

Actually, since he mentioned that he continued to get the same XP with his F2P character as his Subbed account until he logged off, I'm inclined to suspect that something 'turned off' rather than something 'turned on'.

True, I guess mathematically it doesn't matter if xp is increased for subs or decreased for f2p.

So I think I found the solution!

Torhead says the xp from the quest is 2275. But post-1.5, quest xp was increased for all, about 1.25 times. So the actual xp quest today (without xp, with sub) would be 2844. Then, assuming class xp is added each time (so its not 1.3 times but 1.06 and 1.06 and 1.06), so the total xp calculated is: torheadbasexp * 1.25* 2.0 * (1.06)^5

2275*1.25*2*(1.06)^5 = 7611

Which is pretty darn close to 7632, and I was just guessing the post-1.5 boost of 1.25!

Well according to what I've read, the Class Mission XP perks don't apply to planetary quests. I brought it up because I figure the information I have on that could be wrong, but in looking it up everyone seems to be saying it applies only to class missions.

I haven't turned in a class mission yet, I'll post those results when I do.

Well, that took a while. Hard to find time when the family is over.

Quest: Race to the Ruins (Jedi Knight Class Mission)

Quest color: Green

My Level: 18

Torhead's XP number: 2940

I got: 12262 (417%)

That's high even if you count rested. 100% base, 100% XP weekend, 100% rested, 35% subscriber, 30% Legacy perks. That would be 365%, 52% short. And that's assuming it's counting rested and subscribers really do get a 35% boost, both things that I haven't seen confirmed.

I can't seem to get an close with either multiplicative methods, or additive. No matter what I do I end up either way over or way under. Obviously I'm missing something here.