Rise of the Hutt cartel- free to play?

Lord-Nimer

Hi! Does anyone know if the expansion will be free to play after it's release?

Or is it always going to cost?

I'm curious since I'm trying to figure out if it's the expansion itself that cost money or if it's just for the pre-order editions :p

You will have to buy the expansion to play the content in it.

Once you have it I see it as a 1 time transaction so should be playable F2P if your not subbed as your buying the expansion alone and they do state "•Subscribers save 50% off the Regular Price - Only £5.99 (£11.99 Regular Price)" so that tells me f2p players can buy it also to play but need to pay normal amount.

Found this link to FAQs on it: http://www.swtor.com/support/helpcenter/7137

If a f2P pre orders it, youll get preferred status instead of f2P.

Edited by Ziso

Like pretty much all MMO expansions, yes, it will eventually become free.

The question then becomes, how many years will pass before that happens?

Most likely at the next expansion, it'll be offered at a reduced or bundled rate because clearly if the next one raises the level cap from 55 to 60, they'll need to get RotHC into as many hands as possible to ensure players continue to progress.

At that point I wouldn't be surprised to see it become free for subscribers and $5 for everyone else.

In the meantime, they're likely to put it on sale several times between now and then with the most obvious discount being to lower the F2P price down to the subscriber rate.

So yes, the expansion itself costs money unless you want to wait until everyone else has played it for probably a year or so at which time you can likely get it for free when the rest of us move on to something else.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

If youre super casual, and way off 50, no, no reason at all to buy it now, or ever if you're only playing for the class stories. :cool:

Well, that last bit depends. If they they raise cap to 60 in the future and class stories are continued to that point as well (let's assume for the sake of argument between Makeb and "level 60" there will be class story patches) and require you to be level 60, you may have buy Makeb to have access to that content if the level 55 cap is intrinsic to Makeb.

Kind of like with the Game That Shall Not Be Named, you need the level 70-cap expansion to be able to add the level 80-cap expansion and experience the content thereof.

Best way is to subscribe for a month and buy the RotHC , so instead of paying $20 for an expansion you are paying $25 but get 500 CC too. You also get to try out the subb version of the game for 4 weeks ,so all is good.

Cheers,

BadOrb.