Healing for a beginner

leftfield

Never healed before in an mmo and thought I would try to lvl an alt before 2.0

Is the operative a nub friendly healing class? I have a sniper and liked the story and the IA class as a whole so I am leaning towards one. Usually do a lot of pick up pvp

Edited by leftfield

Operative/Smuggler is probably best for a beginner healer because the tendency for a beginner (I know from experience) is to be single target. You can single target heal to your heart's content and not have to worry too much about resource management.

The important thing as you level up (and this is the tricky mechanic of the class) is to be sure you build up upper hand/tactical advantage as that will open up low cost/powerful heals for you to use. This is done by Underworld medicine/delayed release medpac. If you can master that mechanic, it is the least button mashy of the heals.

As an Op healer, I'd say it's fairly easy.

Use... Kolto Probe, the Heal Over Time, on your main target (usually tank). Stack it twice on them and then apply as needed on other targets. Properly specced, this skill will grant a stack of Tactical Advantage. Try to keep your TA stacks at at least 2, though 3 is better.

Kolto Infusion is a TA use, 25 energy skill that is faster than Kolto Injection, so use it in tight moments when you've got a guy low, but for some reason you can't rotate on Surgical Probe. If your target is below a certain percentage - and you've specced into this talent - Surgical Probe grants another TA (it's a no energy, instant cast, TA use skill), essentially refreshing itself. Or top up with Kolto Injection when your target is out of danger, and get another TA! :D

Remember that your AoE skill, Recuperative Nanotach, has a thirty metre cast range, and from there is a ten metre cloud. Theoretically, you can hit someone forty metres away from you. That being said, the cloud only hits those closest to the centre and is not a smart heal (it does not prioritize on low health targets), so bear that in mind when using the skill.

After that, it's just practice! Practice enough and it almost becomes second nature :)

Being an Op healer is pretty awesome and a nice class to start healing as, although I will say that you dont get a true feel for the class rotation until you reach later levels and start moving up the talent tree. Until then, you act as a somewhat mix of healer and DPS, without being truly either of them. It's only for a short time though, so dont let the early levels discourage you, once you hit around mid 30s you will start having a lot more fun with it.

Nice one thank guys, its a bit different from my usual DPS role but slowly getting the hang of it.

In the mid teens now, struggleing slightly to decide the best dps to use when not healing, currently using debilitate, backstab, shiv and rifle shot. Anything i am missing?

Nice one thank guys, its a bit different from my usual DPS role but slowly getting the hang of it.

In the mid teens now, struggleing slightly to decide the best dps to use when not healing, currently using debilitate, backstab, shiv and rifle shot. Anything i am missing?

don't forget your sab charge, or whatever you imps call it :)

You should be getting Carbine Burst soon, granted it's a cone, but don't underestimate your AOE abilities with Frag Grenade + Carbine Burst.. Use a frag grenade to knock any stray enemies closer to the group, run in and shiv for a TA then carbine burst.

Especially later down the road when you're reliably building TA stacks from talented kolto probes, Frag Grenade>Carbine Burst>Carbine Burst>Frag Grenade can do wonders for clearing trash.

Other than that, BS+Shiv+Overload Shot are pretty much your bread and butter for the foreseeable future, debilitate is for interrupting/setting up for another backstab.

Though it will limit your ability to heal in later content (due to lack of your AOE heal) I'd personally recommend a Medic/Concealment build. Laceration+Collateral Strike makes life amazingly easier.

Note: These are just my experiences, my IA was my first char and I just got him to 50.

Edited by jovianus

• 2 weeks later...
My Op healer became my main very quickly. I've only ever played one other mmo (SWG) so I didn't have much experience with healing or anything. You learn as you go with the Op heal tree. If you heal from the start, you'll know when and where to use specific heals by the time you have them all :)