Question about overload saber

migzmando

It says "causes your next 3 successful melee attacks to burn the target for x damage over 6 seconds, stacks up to 3 times and this effect cannot occur more than once every 1.5 seconds." So does this mean that you can get 9 stacks over the duration? Or is it just 3, over the course of approximately 4.5 seconds? Sorry, I'm researching specs and haven't tested it yet, so I was just curious.

Thank you

Using the standard Watchman opener: Force Leap/Overload Saber sets you up to apply 3 stacks. Then you hit with Zealous Strike, Cauterize, Merciless Strike and follow with let's say Master Strike. I think your OS burn ticks would apply like.

ZLS >> X X X X X X

CTZ >>> X X X X X X

MXS >>>> X X X X X X

So by the time Master Strike is hitting, you've got all three Overload burns going simulaneously. That's why, if you've also popped Zen, you see those 6 Zen charges drop off so quickly (also fun to do while target is stunned with Force Stasis).

One thing I'm NOT certain of is whether it is actually the melee attack part of Force Leap (instead of Zealous Strike) that applies the first OS burn. You leap before OS, but you OS in mid-air before leap's attack connects with the target. Little thing, but one I'm curous about.

One thing I'm NOT certain of is whether it is actually the melee attack part of Force Leap (instead of Zealous Strike) that applies the first OS burn. You leap before OS, but you OS in mid-air before leap's attack connects with the target. Little thing, but one I'm curous about.

It doesn't apply if you Force Leap first and apply it in mid air.

Correct. For this reason, I usually do OS > Leap if I have the focus, since it gets the stacks up sooner.

See. It's a good idea to use Overload Saber before a Leap if you can, but not because it gets the stacks up sooner.

Overload Saber has a cooldown of 15 seconds. However, the damage it deals can occur at any point over the duration of its cooldown. If I activate it and build three stacks as quickly as I can (first stack at 0.1 seconds, second at 1.6 seconds and third at 3.1 seconds (Overload off the GCD ftw)), then it will time out the DoT debuff at 9.1 seconds (six seconds post final Overload application). All of Overload's damage in a 15 second cycle occurs in the first 9.1 seconds in this scenario.

Now, say I used Overload Saber and then decided to run around in a circle for four seconds before attacking the boss/dummy/whoever (not actually going to do that... usually). First stack at 4.0, second at 5.5, third at 7.0. The dot ticks over for another six seconds, leading to the damage being dealt in the first 13 seconds of the Overload cycle.

In either scenario, Overload Saber does the same amount of damage (assuming the same luck with crits). Building stacks immediately is not really necessary.

And if you get really clever you can try to delay the outgoing of your DoTs from Overload Sabers so that you get the maximum uptime from them seeing as when you apply another stack, your DoT debuff timer on the enemy refreshes to another 6 seconds :D. But this requires the use of force attacks that mostly aren't on your priority list (cauterize is, force sweep, blade rush and force stasis aren't).

And if you get really clever you can try to delay the outgoing of your DoTs from Overload Sabers so that you get the maximum uptime from them seeing as when you apply another stack, your DoT debuff timer on the enemy refreshes to another 6 seconds :D. But this requires the use of force attacks that mostly aren't on your priority list (cauterize is, force sweep, blade rush and force stasis aren't).

Master Strike also does this in a way. It applies two stacks over ~2.6 seconds due to the internal cooldown on dot application. Comboing that with Cauterize will stagger the dot enough to give it an extra tick.

See. It's a good idea to use Overload Saber before a Leap if you can, but not because it gets the stacks up sooner.

[snip]

In either scenario, Overload Saber does the same amount of damage (assuming the same luck with crits). Building stacks immediately is not really necessary.

There are instances - although probably not that often - when you can keep a stack of 3 rolling by doing OS >Leap instead of Leap > OS > x. In this case, applying a stack is better to do it sooner, so I just make it habit to do it all the time.

In all other instances, you are right, there is really no difference.

The only consistent way to keep OS up through 2 CDs (using your 2nd 3 OS to keep up 3 burn stacks) is to pop OS about 3 ish seconds before you jump in. Then when you use OS again and apply, it keeps it at 3 stacks, instead of starting over from 1 again.

The only consistent way to keep OS up through 2 CDs (using your 2nd 3 OS to keep up 3 burn stacks) is to pop OS about 3 ish seconds before you jump in. Then when you use OS again and apply, it keeps it at 3 stacks, instead of starting over from 1 again.

Usually you don't have focus to do this pre-boss fight.

Yea, before you start a fight. I'm saying during a break in combat. Like coming out of the shields on Firebrand and Stormcaller.

*nod* Overload Saber should be used on cooldown anyways, regardless of momentary downtime... unless the downtime is going to exceed 12 seconds rendering it more-or-less pointless.

Edited by Punchy