X Server rateds

TwitchWINs

We need it. We aren't going to get it. BW knows we need it. And they aren't saying boo about it. Clearly they have hit a technological hurdle with the Hero engine that makes x-server impractical.

As a suggestion, if throughput happens to be one of the limiting factors preventing x-server, I'd recommend the following:

Limit x-server ranked matches to whatever amount the system can handle (for example 3 simultaneous matches in the N America West zone, 3 in N America East, 3 in EU, etc.). Then pull teams for those matches randomly from ranked teams already in their server ranked queues. This would have the effect of incentivizing people to queue for ranked. The x-server ranked matches would be so popular, the player base would complain about the limits, but it would still accomplish *something* while revitalizing the server ranked queues.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need it. We aren't going to get it. BW knows we need it. And they aren't saying boo about it. Clearly they have hit a technological hurdle with the Hero engine that makes x-server impractical.

This is probably the sad truth, and what I kept hearing. I do think if they could do it without excessive difficulty, they would have let us know. So other stuff probably takes priority since this would probably be a real tough deal to do and take lots of time and effort.

*Snip*

I think Rankeds are failing due to a ladder system, because the current set-up is not conducive to new teams trying them out. It's not uncommon to see new teams try Rankeds, get lolstomped by shark teams, and then never queue again. It sucks lol. If we had that ladder based system, where they pitted teams against similar rated teams, perhaps more guilds/teams would give it a whirl knowing the odds of getting curb-stomped would potentially be lessened.

This is pretty much my guild, I have enough folks who want to do ranked to make two teams but seriously due to us being semi-casual and playing the classes we like, we wouldn't stand a chance against a team built around using specific classes. We do well in regular warzones against unranked teams. Some of the guys in my guild are extremely good and with practice we could do well in a system that matched teams based on rankings. If they fixed the match making system I think would be the biggest step to increasing the ranked gameplay.

Once you begin to climb a ladder it makes it a lot more likely you can get near the top, the way it is currently you cant even get on the ladder.

Maybe, then admit they cant do it and offer character copy to a new consolidated "tournament PvP server" so everyone can copy characters there, like a tournament realm, they can even charge for the "tournament server" acess, most of us are willing to pay a little extra for this.

Edited by Laforet

This is pretty much my guild, I have enough folks who want to do ranked to make two teams but seriously due to us being semi-casual and playing the classes we like, we wouldn't stand a chance against a team built around using specific classes. We do well in regular warzones against unranked teams. Some of the guys in my guild are extremely good and with practice we could do well in a system that matched teams based on rankings. If they fixed the match making system I think would be the biggest step to increasing the ranked gameplay.

Once you begin to climb a ladder it makes it a lot more likely you can get near the top, the way it is currently you cant even get on the ladder.

Yeah its like i completed lvl 30 on League of Legends today and my 1st match is against diamond league players.

Oh dear what a match it will be...

This would make sense... if there were cross servers or MUCH more ranked teams queing than there already are. If there are only 2-3 teams queing at time, and rarely are there more, a ranking system wouldn't mean much; you would get matched up against the same teams anyway. Of course, if many more teams start queing for rateds after 2.0, this would be a good idea, but with the current rated population it would accomplish little.

The problem persists not because there isnt ranking or matchmaking server, but because there are so few rated teams. So when new teams que up they go against high rated experienced teams (and proceed to get crushed) simply because those are the only opponents queing. Of course its a lot more fun going against a team of similar experience/skill, but that doesn't happen that often. Its either getting stomped on or stomping on the other team yourself, good even games are few and far apart.

Hence, why we need cross server.

Edited by Z-ToXiN

They can spend months on pve that people clear in a week on the hardest dificulity yet they cant spend a week(probably less time) on something that will be ever changing and growing for over a month? true only the lowest part of the pop is a die hard pvp group but its still there and it WILL grow if they feed us with this much needed food.

The reason a lot players/teams do not partake in Rated currently, is the utter lack of a ladder system that places teams accordingly, and of course lack of PvP types per server. If cross-server or paid transfers were about, with a legitimate ladder based system, teams would do these more often without a doubt.

PS: More teams/players queue for Ranked matches than World PvP, so why cater to the lagfest called World PvP?

Both these posts are great they show how this pvp scene could be great but for the fact of BIO being awful at pvp dev they might just throw our whole community away.

Now whats the problem? New teams who want to get into the scene are hesitant because most likely when they make a new guild or a group they think is confident to play, and one of our upper echelon teams is Qing, its such a leap from the just starting out to the teams where people have 1000+ rated warzones under our belt.

The reason this happens is because there is no ladder system to match players along a rating basis, and because there is no x server function there can be no ladder system for the fact that there is probably 1-2 teams Qing at one time(if there is even 2) and those teams ratings could be 1400-4k(my guild). This is fun for nobody and discourages new guilds and players from finding a home and getting used to the game and how pvp works. which in turn means we are going to have far far far less high level players and guilds in the future without x server rateds.

Edited by TwitchWINs

The actual system also breaks top PvP guilds with time.

As much as everyone likes winning, most of PvPers are motivated by challenges, and roflstomping beguiner teams might be good for the occasional forum flame but it gets old after a while.

I was on both sides of the fence, back at Fatman my team had almost no reason to queue unless STS or Ladle was quing. Those teams gave us incredible nail biting fights. When they werent quing, well it got to the point where some teams quit the warzone imediately after they saw our tag and this was very frustating for us.

After 1 week of this one of our players got sick and half of our team quit the game to never return.

Now im on the other side of the fence completely, when im not busy with WoW arena or LoL i come back to check SWTOR because i love this game and every now and them i talk to one friend or another about gathering the manpower to make a team and take a shot at rateds.

Well, having 8 players with the "right" setup all login at the same time is already a challenge on itself, thus most of the time we have to take some "rookies" in, any forming team will lose a lot of matches, no matter how individually skilled the players are just for the sake of not having that "optimal" communication level that is needed for 8v8 PvP.

As predicted, after 2-3 days of learning the ropes most of the people of the team tend to quit because no one likes losing. If teams in this situation were pitted against "lower" rated teams, meaning teams that are still working on comms / setup the effort for the learning curve would be acceptable, if not pleasant.

X server = more teams to play = more rating diversity = better challenge scale = rookie teams win = experienced teams wins = PvP wins = bioware wins.

That should be obvious, no?

The problem with matching teams of similar strength is that the queue isn't deep enough to accomplish this. I have previously suggested a way to get around this. Namely, allow ranked matches to begin only at set times. Every 20 minutes for example. By accumulating all the teams that queue, you will accrue a larger number of teams when it is time to make the match pairs. This allows more accurate pairing of teams by strength/skill. The 20 minutes concept allows for teams to complete one ranked match and get back into the queue in time for another match with only a brief delay.

The problem with matching teams of similar strength is that the queue isn't deep enough to accomplish this. I have previously suggested a way to get around this. Namely, allow ranked matches to begin only at set times. Every 20 minutes for example. By accumulating all the teams that queue, you will accrue a larger number of teams when it is time to make the match pairs. This allows more accurate pairing of teams by strength/skill. The 20 minutes concept allows for teams to complete one ranked match and get back into the queue in time for another match with only a brief delay.

Set times are not even needed dude lol. More teams would queue (than what we have now) with a ladder system.

It's not that hard to comprehend on the why, no need to make it more difficult lol.

Set times are not even needed dude lol. More teams would queue (than what we have now) with a ladder system.

It's not that hard to comprehend on the why, no need to make it more difficult lol.

Exactly of they added a ladder system that worked, my guild has about 30 on a night and we would do at least one team if not two at night. There are bound to be lots of others out there that would do the same. You would have more folks meet up on fleet and roll a group into it also. I see people asking for them all the time but the response is usually "dude we don't stand a chance against "insert big name pvp guild here".

Nope. Doesn't matter how many queue, if their matching system pairs teams up as the queue, the queue depth will never be enough to match similar teams. Gotta have queue depth.