Companion question (spoilers)

nateslice

I have a level 24 Sentinel who just finished Nar Shaddaa, and then went through a little interlude where I was forced to bring Kira. I seem to remember this happening on the previous planet, too (or maybe it was the one before that).

Anyway, my question is, is this something I can expect to continue? Will it continue to be necessary to use Kira from time to time? I ask because, if this is the case, then I think I'd be better off using her as my full-time companion. Easier to keep her gear up to date that way, and the extra Affection wouldn't hurt, either.

I'd be a little sad to lose my tanking droid, but I can make the adjustment if need be.

One of the bad things about this companion system, i am thinking they need to make the companions' gear and equipment level up automatically or match your gear, where if you are using T7, your strength would be aim to him and so on....that way, no more needing from playing in flashpoints for their companions and stuff like that.

That way, keeping you in top notch gear makes all your companions just as good geared, i am sure players will say no to this, though 99% of them will likely be crafters that profit so much with the insane prices that crafters set for their items.

One of the bad things about this companion system, i am thinking they need to make the companions' gear and equipment level up automatically or match your gear, where if you are using T7, your strength would be aim to him and so on....that way, no more needing from playing in flashpoints for their companions and stuff like that.

That way, keeping you in top notch gear makes all your companions just as good geared, i am sure players will say no to this, though 99% of them will likely be crafters that profit so much with the insane prices that crafters set for their items.

Yeah, the trooper has the best companions that way because all of your companions use aim actually so gearing them up is easier since you can just give your companions your older gear and mods as you get newer ones. It makes things much easier.

Shame the other classes don't have anything like that for all of their companions.

I think if they made it so they can use both their regular primary stat and your primary stat to increase their damage/healing it would be good. It would help a lot in gearing up your companions.

Edited by Philmors

You're forced to use Kira at certain points, but after you finish act 2, I'd recommend sticking to the droid. Any further discussion will dip into spoiler territory.

You can get gear for him to use in a bonus mission on the last mission so you don't have to really worry about keeping him geared for that specific moment.

Mostly, I see other JK's using either Kira or Doc most of the time. Occasionally, I see Scourge used but the droid and Rusk aren't really used.

Kira is a very good choice if you're a Guardian; you're tanky and she's extra DPS. The Doc is good for certain boss fights where some healing is required.

However, if you're a Sentinel (DPS), the droid is better because he can tank while you DPS the mobs down.

Kira is only mandatory at that one point on that ship; otherwise you have two options for gearing her: get her some greens from the GTN just when you need to use her, or grab the Social 1 outfit from Coruscant and put in level appropriate mods.

The greens are cheaper; greens on the GTN are very very cheap. You may have to keep an eye out for implants, but I've seen people level up their tradeskills and put implants on the GTN for pennies.

For outfitting T7 (the droid), Coruscant and a couple other planets have orange parts, orange motors, and orange sensors, and I'm not sure which planet has the orange shields, but it's definitely possible to get a full set of adaptive parts for him if you're patient. Trying to buy (green) droid parts from the GTN is horribly expensive otherwise.