Erked.

Levity

If they wish to gate access based on current purchases(which is not the kind of way a loyalty program is supposed to work), they can adopt a model of different tokens(rep tokens and certificates drop from the same loot table so the inefficiency of accumulation will exist either way). By using multiple rep bars instead, it seems they're trying to get people who are addicted to ordinarily harmless rep systems to become addicted to buying packs.

Yes, I sort of agree with this, but there's also a weekly cap which they can fall back on and reduce the amount of spending someone can do to earn such reputation rewards. Beyond that, it's a matter of self control. Since this game doesn't force you to not buy packs or to log off, I'm assuming it's because the law doesn't require the gaming company to babysit the user too strictly.

Still, if there's only one rep bar ever, then once someone maxes it out there's no future rep bars for CM buying to max out? Yet there'll be more rep bars for those who grind in game. Don't get me wrong, I'm not for the rep bar (I'm not against it either), but speaking up for CM Buyers, I think they would eventually want another rep bar at some point. The question for them is: Is 4-6 months enough time? Depends on their shopping habits.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they don't add anything to the CE vendor, so just don't add anything to that vendor lol. (Not a CE owner btw). But unless they even out the ingame content with the CM, then it's going to swing too far into the "always paying more RL money" then playing the game type of mind set. So hopefully they find a good counter point.

I suppose that's a valid gripe for the CE Vendor that they've been forgotten. But, to me, that's sort of a whatever issue again. I'm a digital deluxe buyer and I have the VIP ring... and it's absolutely worthless. But I'm not upset that they don't add more fluff up there. I'm more concerned with playable content, bugs, and balance then a cool looking gun that I won't even notice during a boss fight.

Oh also to note, since someone will bring up buying with credits, I'm a 100% sure. The game shouldn't be about use credits to win either. That's why so many PvErs had issues with so many BiS mods/enhances/armorings on the GTN. It takes away from playing the game, which majority of people are here to do.

My problem is that you're defining anything not game-mechanic in combat effecting as "win". This goes back to my original gripe. You're defining fluff content as win, but I don't. Having new clothing doesn't help you anymore in PvP or PvE than wearing a clown costume with the exact same stats.

I understand this is a business as well as a game, that money needs to be made for SWTOR to live on. BUT, and it's only my opinion of course, I feel they have lost sight of showing only the slightest interest in the client/us.

It's a brilliant move, present a new option that is going to cause huge negative feedback but make them lots of money THEN provide info making it worse. Now wait a few days and simply roll back to the first introduction of it and a single reputation and bang everyone magically becomes happy and you make your money. As planned. Hang on it will happen or something VERY similar.

So it's clear, this game is about the dollar, period. No one is looking at long term benefits of having a stable and growing player base, only what can be shoved in their pocket right now. So I leave game, how much will my 180.00 a year be missed when Mr. Smith just bought 70 packs today, and another 30 next week. And when the next "shipment" arrives he will do so again. So 5,000 people leave and they loose 90,000.00 total in yearly subscriptions. But wait 1,000 people just spent 250.00 in cartel packs over 30 days. In one month they just made a quarter million dollars. So what do you think gets fixed first, yup anything in that cartel market, and fast!

Yes, those are just approximate numbers I can't say how many left the game or how many spent 250.00 on cartel packs but considering there are threads up bragging about all they got it's safe to bet it's a fair number spending serious dollars. And hey its their money so more power to em.

But what this means is focus goes from voice acting, separate quest lines and bug fixes to "pour more into that market fast!". Write off what drew many, drag out the fixes but full steam ahead on that market. Can you guess which staff has more people and highest priority?

Should money come first as thats what moves the train or the client who supplies the money? Right now they seem utterly short sighted and I don't think we are even on their radar. Take a look at customer support, in game activity, or response here in forums. If they post people carry on with shock and awe and cover them with praises. Not for what they say but just because they actually posted. We are like children happy to have any communication even if its negative. Children being spanked "thank you may I have another?!"

So yeah I'm finished.

Best of luck to all who stay on and I hope in the future things improve, really do.

There should be more ways to earn this kind of reputation. Ways where you don't have to spend real money or an absoloutely INSANE amount of credits (300-400k for a cartel pack and it's not even guaranteed to get rep out of it). Nothing else to say bout that.

300-400k would be awesome, unfortunately they are selling for 750k - 1 mil a pop. Nice Job BW!

I find it self-entitled behavior to see just because you're paying $15/month that means you're right. My sub and you're sub are just a part of the equation, but that doesn't mean I get to decide everything BW does just because I'm a paying customer.

Unless you do everything in this game there's going to be content that you won't access that is being used by Bioware. Deal with it.

I'm not "deciding", I'm voicing my opinion. As are you. No need to be a hypocrite or pretend that your opinion is the universal truth.

My problem is that you're defining anything not game-mechanic in combat effecting as "win". This goes back to my original gripe. You're defining fluff content as win, but I don't. Having new clothing doesn't help you anymore in PvP or PvE than wearing a clown costume with the exact same stats.

But buying BiS gear with in game credits is as much p2w to me as using rl money, since my opinion about making credits in the game is easy as hell. That's a my opinion deal of course. And buying every bit of DG stuff on the GTN, which I could of done in 2 weeks if I really wanted, is effecting the pve and pvp aspect. You're probably one of the ones who disagreed with buying the stuff on the GTN as well so I doubt we have a differing opinion here except on the basis of what you define p2w as.

I understand this is a business as well as a game, that money needs to be made for SWTOR to live on. BUT, and it's only my opinion of course, I feel they have lost sight of showing only the slightest interest in the client/us.

It's a brilliant move, present a new option that is going to cause huge negative feedback but make them lots of money THEN provide info making it worse. Now wait a few days and simply roll back to the first introduction of it and a single reputation and bang everyone magically becomes happy and you make your money. As planned. Hang on it will happen or something VERY similar.

So it's clear, this game is about the dollar, period. No one is looking at long term benefits of having a stable and growing player base, only what can be shoved in their pocket right now. So I leave game, how much will my 180.00 a year be missed when Mr. Smith just bought 70 packs today, and another 30 next week. And when the next "shipment" arrives he will do so again. So 5,000 people leave and they loose 90,000.00 total in yearly subscriptions. But wait 1,000 people just spent 250.00 in cartel packs over 30 days. In one month they just made a quarter million dollars. So what do you think gets fixed first, yup anything in that cartel market, and fast!

Yes, those are just approximate numbers I can't say how many left the game or how many spent 250.00 on cartel packs but considering there are threads up bragging about all they got it's safe to bet it's a fair number spending serious dollars. And hey its their money so more power to em.

But what this means is focus goes from voice acting, separate quest lines and bug fixes to "pour more into that market fast!". Write off what drew many, drag out the fixes but full steam ahead on that market. Can you guess which staff has more people and highest priority?

Should money come first as thats what moves the train or the client who supplies the money? Right now they seem utterly short sighted and I don't think we are even on their radar. Take a look at customer support, in game activity, or response here in forums. If they post people carry on with shock and awe and cover them with praises. Not for what they say but just because they actually posted. We are like children happy to have any communication even if its negative. Children being spanked "thank you may I have another?!"

So yeah I'm finished.

Best of luck to all who stay on and I hope in the future things improve, really do.

You seem to be laboring under the assumption that they can't work on multiple angles of development simultaneously.

You seem to be laboring under the assumption that they can't work on multiple angles of development simultaneously.

But resources given to the Cartel Market are resources that could go to other things. I support the Cartel Market as a means to finance other content, and so far from all indications it is doing fantastically for that. But this rep vendor orders of magnitude more money for the same items. It's giving the impression that development is now focusing more on moneymakers than content, especially since they majority of updates are now Cartel Market updates.

Edited by Telanis

I'm not "deciding", I'm voicing my opinion. As are you. No need to be a hypocrite or pretend that your opinion is the universal truth.

Your opinion comes off with rants referring to how bad the CM is coupled with the fact that you're not happy about them making stuff that you feel your money goes into. Why are you upset?

because they feel that they money they've invested in this game should be used to create content that they have access to without paying multiple orders of magnitude more money.

So you feel your money goes into things that don't concern you, right? Because you feel your money should only go into things that you participate in. Sounds pretty entitled to me. You pay $15/month to play on their servers which entails everything in the game. You're not paying $15/month to only features you want to play. The fact that you feel that way shows that you're trying to treat this game like a buffet. No problem then. Switch to preferred and buy to unlock only the features you like, then you'll never again have to feel like your paying for content that you don't partake in.

But resources given to the Cartel Market are resources that could go to other things. I support the Cartel Market as a means to finance other content, and so far from all indications it is doing fantastically for that. But this rep vendor orders of magnitude more money for the same items. It's giving the impression that development is now focusing more on moneymakers than content, especially since they majority of updates are now Cartel Market updates.

Then that impression is wrong. Let's really examine what's being done, over all.

Several sets of 'pre-existing' gear that are used by NPCs.

A few miniaturized pets of pre-existing models.

A few new sets of gear.

Recolored gear and pets.

A couple of remodeled mounts and a few new mounts.

This is quite literally NOTHING compared to the amount of time and effort and money put into developing a whole new world in development terms. New Operations, new Flash Points, new Warzones. These things are where your dollars are going. Because, let's be frank, people are excited about this new gear, that they want to use as 'they head into the new expansion'.

This game would falter and collapse within six months if they spent all their time, effort and money on Cartel Packs, and neglected the long term development of the game. And we all KNOW that, but people like to run around in circles, yelling 'the sky is falling, the sky is falling'.

I don't think it took too many resources to implement the new vendors and rep. Rep is already in the game, so it would be pretty easy to define a new faction for rep. The rewards just get renamed and rep redirected. No problem to add a few new vendor characters. Most of the items on those vendors were in game already. So... not losing many resources. That was a brilliant use of existing resources to make more money.

And we'll all benefit from the new cash flow.

But buying BiS gear with in game credits is as much p2w to me as using rl money, since my opinion about making credits in the game is easy as hell. That's a my opinion deal of course. And buying every bit of DG stuff on the GTN, which I could of done in 2 weeks if I really wanted, is effecting the pve and pvp aspect. You're probably one of the ones who disagreed with buying the stuff on the GTN as well so I doubt we have a differing opinion here except on the basis of what you define p2w as.

1) You can't really buy every piece of DG gear. You can't buy the shells and you can't buy the armoring pieces. Sure, you can fake it, right now, but BW is already fixing it by not letting you craft top-tier gear anymore.

2) I never liked it either. My only problem is that BW's itemization is terrible and the only way to fix it was to get crafted mats to make BiS items. Of course, you ended up being BiS 2nd week in, and that's lame too. I like the direction they're going in the expansion though for BiS and crafting, but that's a whole different animal.

3) And yes, that exactly sums up why I didn't like the current situation of buying BiS on the market. You're able to be BiS for operations w/out ever needing to step foot in an operation... nor a flashpoint. In the PTS, they're sort of fixing this because you can get everything except set bonuses and weapons from using tokens. For those, you need to actually raid.

Maybe you misread my post or just trolling, not sure which but will give you the benefit of the doubt. I didn't state, ever, anywhere in my post the market place was exclusively being worked on and nothing else. Not sure how you jumped to that conclusion. But give you points for dissecting an entire post with multiple observations into a one sentence response with an insult. But thats fine, I will just labor away under my assumptions. It's a job, someone has to do it.

So you feel your money goes into things that don't concern you, right?

That's not what I said.

Because you feel your money should only go into things that you participate in. Sounds pretty entitled to me. You pay $15/month to play on their servers which entails everything in the game. You're not paying $15/month to only features you want to play.

You're right that my sub pays for "everything in the game". I want access to everything for my sub whether or not I choose to participate in everything. The Cartel Market has been good so far because the things that I can't afford with my stipend I have been able to get off the GTN. With this new vendor I will never be able to afford enough packs to get the rep and certificates needed to get the item. I play as much as I can already and most of it is centered around money-making. So that content is cut off from me (and most people I would bet).

I don't see why you're so angry that I am voicing my opinion about this addition and the direction I want BW to take. I'm allowed to want the game to be a certain way, and I'm even allowed to clamor for only the features I like and want more of -- regardless of how strongly you feel that I am not.

Edited by Telanis

That's your assumption and that's where fault in your argument lies. If they take even 10% of the CM money towards non-CM development then that's 10% more money going to the content you use that wouldn't have been there at all.

And if you think they're only focused on CM stuff, then perhaps you missed:

1) The gree event

2) Gree items

3) A whole new planet

4) New leveling

5) A new operation

Doesn't sound like they're forgetting the non-CM content to me.

You seem to be under the assumption they put time and effort into non-profitable area's of the game.

They wont.

The problem with this new system is that it puts even more emphasizing on the CM, something that was met with a lot of criticism in the first place. So not only is this a stupid move for the long time fan who was part of that group but it is also a slap in the face of people who actually care about the state of them game.

The biggest worry I have is about how this sets a precedent to the future. What if they put the Rakata schematics on the CM in 2.0 as "exclusive"? Or return the old Champion/Centurion gear but also CM only? Or in general, things we've been wanting since launch? This last you can see already with the new sword, we've been complaining about the uglyness of the current vibroswords compared to KOTOR and the first good looking sword in CM only!? They made crafting armor useless, same with guns/sabers. Whats next? Toptier schematics? I mean, you can still get them in-game so its not p2w right? They keep pushing the line. First it was the Spaceship items, now its CM exclusive Reputation systems (yes plural)... they are heading in the wrong way.

Meanwhile other promises (CE/VIP vendor, "We have millions of lines already VO'd for the individual story", community promises, more guild association, SSSP, SGR's etcetc) are being ignored or were plain lies. But they seem to have enough time to implement new stuff for the CM! And if this is a totally different team then show us some proof. Show us that you have stuff for the CE/VIP vendors, show us that you care about crafting and giving the Synthweavers/Armormechs some cool armors or the Armstechs/Artficers some cool guns/sabers.

And yes I voted with my wallet and cancelled my sub, they have till the end of may to fix this **** or Ill be gone. I doubt they care since the people reading this are in service of BW and not the people who make this decision and the people who do make these decisions obviously stopped giving a crap about their customers a long time ago

To those saying "It doesnt affect you, if you dont want it dont buy it" you are missing something here, it does affect me. Im someone who thinks about what he buys and when I used to think about this game it was "OMG BIOWARE+STAR WARS=AWESOME" and that has changed to "Dear lord what has EA ****ed up this time... oh great..."

The game is overshadowed by its obvious greed and this gets in my way of enjoying the game. Inb4thatsyourproblem: actually its not, its BW's problem since I wont buy any of their games anymore and same goes for EA.

That's your assumption and that's where fault in your argument lies. If they take even 10% of the CM money towards non-CM development then that's 10% more money going to the content you use that wouldn't have been there at all.

1) The gree event

2) Gree items

3) A whole new planet

4) New leveling

5) A new operation

I've already said I support the CM. Everything EA has released indicates they are making money hand over fist with it, more than enough to finance development. If you think this addition is going to finance more development I'm afraid that's also YOUR assumption.

1) You can't really buy every piece of DG gear. You can't buy the shells and you can't buy the armoring pieces. Sure, you can fake it, right now, but BW is already fixing it by not letting you craft top-tier gear anymore.

2) I never liked it either. My only problem is that BW's itemization is terrible and the only way to fix it was to get crafted mats to make BiS items. Of course, you ended up being BiS 2nd week in, and that's lame too. I like the direction they're going in the expansion though for BiS and crafting, but that's a whole different animal.

3) And yes, that exactly sums up why I didn't like the current situation of buying BiS on the market. You're able to be BiS for operations w/out ever needing to step foot in an operation... nor a flashpoint. In the PTS, they're sort of fixing this because you can get everything except set bonuses and weapons from using tokens. For those, you need to actually raid.

You could buy DG armorings. I bought two for my bracers and belt (which was the only BiS stuff I ever bought on the GTN. Unless you are meaning something else). They don't come with the set bonus's but some classes set bonus doesn't help them out anyway.

And I love the direction they are going with the expansion. It's how the game was in 1.1 when you had to raid to get the best gear. There was no easy street there except when people had enough daily comms to buy a rakata implant and throw it up on the GTN. I remember when the HM FPs had 1 day lock outs haha.

You seem to be under the assumption they put time and effort into non-profitable area's of the game.

They wont.

The problem with this new system is that it puts even more emphasizing on the CM, something that was met with a lot of criticism in the first place. So not only is this a stupid move for the long time fan who was part of that group but it is also a slap in the face of people who actually care about the state of them game.

The biggest worry I have is about how this sets a precedent to the future. What if they put the Rakata schematics on the CM in 2.0 as "exclusive"? Or return the old Champion/Centurion gear but also CM only? Or in general, things we've been wanting since launch? This last you can see already with the new sword, we've been complaining about the uglyness of the current vibroswords compared to KOTOR and the first good looking sword in CM only!? They made crafting armor useless, same with guns/sabers. Whats next? Toptier schematics? I mean, you can still get them in-game so its not p2w right? They keep pushing the line. First it was the Spaceship items, now its CM exclusive Reputation systems (yes plural)... they are heading in the wrong way.

Meanwhile other promises (CE/VIP vendor, "We have millions of lines already VO'd for the individual story", community promises, more guild association, SSSP, SGR's etcetc) are being ignored or were plain lies. But they seem to have enough time to implement new stuff for the CM! And if this is a totally different team then show us some proof. Show us that you have stuff for the CE/VIP vendors, show us that you care about crafting and giving the Synthweavers/Armormechs some cool armors or the Armstechs/Artficers some cool guns/sabers.

And yes I voted with my wallet and cancelled my sub, they have till the end of may to fix this **** or Ill be gone. I doubt they care since the people reading this are in service of BW and not the people who make this decision and the people who do make these decisions obviously stopped giving a crap about their customers a long time ago

To those saying "It doesnt affect you, if you dont want it dont buy it" you are missing something here, it does affect me. Im someone who thinks about what he buys and when I used to think about this game it was "OMG BIOWARE+STAR WARS=AWESOME" and that has changed to "Dear lord what has EA ****ed up this time... oh great..."

The game is overshadowed by its obvious greed and this gets in my way of enjoying the game. Inb4thatsyourproblem: actually its not, its BW's problem since I wont buy any of their games anymore and same goes for EA.

The 'slippery slope' argument is a logical fallacy. It's fear and uncertainty, assuming the worst without reason or cause.

And I hate to break it to you, but the CM and F2P has brought new life back to this game when it was on the verge of being a failure mid-last year. You may not like the CM, you may call it a mistake, but if so, then it's a 'mistake' that's saved the game from failing.

Lastly, the old tired threat of 'do what I want or I unsub!' simply doesn't matter anymore. An MMO's success is no longer determined by active sub numbers, but by how much money is brought in, quarterly.

So, go ahead and quit.

That's not what I said.

You're right that my sub pays for "everything in the game". I want access to everything for my sub whether or not I choose to participate in everything. The Cartel Market has been good so far because the things that I can't afford with my stipend I have been able to get off the GTN. With this new vendor I will never be able to afford enough packs to get the rep and certificates needed to get the item. I play as much as I can already and most of it is centered around money-making. So that content is cut off from me (and most people I would bet).

I don't see why you're so angry that I am voicing my opinion about this addition and the direction I want BW to take. I'm allowed to want the game to be a certain way, and I'm even allowed to clamor for only the features I like and want more of -- regardless of how strongly you feel that I am not.

My problem is this continuing mentality of the player-base that shoots down anything they don't participate in because they choose not to:

1) The solo players who don't group upset that they can't get HK

2) The crafters who don't raid upset that they can't craft BiS gear

3) The non-pvp'ers upset that there's gree content in a FFA PvP zone

That's content they decide not to participate in. No one is stopping them from participating other than their own predisposition, but they don't look within at the blame, only that BW has created such content.

And I'm not really angry so much as annoyed because I feel all of this behavior of screaming "me me me" is what gets catered to.

1) The gree event

2) Gree items

3) A whole new planet

4) New leveling

5) A new operation

1 and 2 are the same

3 isnt something special, more something like "about time"

4 comes naturally to please the herds (not a bad thing but nothing special either)

5 is a natural thing that comes with #4

So what you really have is 1 event about the Gree

A new planet that comes with more levels (to keep the masses happy) and a new Op which logically had to happen anyway since you introduced new levels... GREAT POINTS MY MAN!

1 and 2 are the same

3 isnt something special, more something like "about time"

4 comes naturally to please the herds (not a bad thing but nothing special either)

5 is a natural thing that comes with #4

So what you really have is 1 event about the Gree

A new planet that comes with more levels (to keep the masses happy) and a new Op which logically had to happen anyway since you introduced new levels... GREAT POINTS MY MAN!

That's your opinion. Has the CM brought an event for you to participate in? No. It only has items. So therefore 1 and 2 are different. You're lumping them together, but if you are then that's like saying the CM is only half of a feature because there's no even to tie into it.

The rest is all your opinion again. The fact remains that all the things I listed are non-CM content so try and dismiss them all you want, but it's solid proof this game has plenty of things designed outside of the CM world.

My problem is this continuing mentality of the player-base that shoots down anything they don't participate in because they choose not to:

1) The solo players who don't group upset that they can't get HK

2) The crafters who don't raid upset that they can't craft BiS gear

3) The non-pvp'ers upset that there's gree content in a FFA PvP zone

That's content they decide not to participate in. No one is stopping them from participating other than their own predisposition, but they don't look within at the blame, only that BW has created such content.

And I'm not really angry so much as annoyed because I feel all of this behavior of screaming "me me me" is what gets catered to.

Sure, I agree with you here. I hope I'm screaming "us us us!" with this because I feel that this caters to a very small minority, and that minority is determined by an external factor -- money -- rather than an "internal" factor such as "collecting vanity/cosmetic items" or "maxing all faction rep" for example. I would be happy with any form of content that we can participate in if we choose; here I feel it's not a choice for the vast majority of us.

Edited by Telanis

The 'slippery slope' argument is a logical fallacy. It's fear and uncertainty, assuming the worst without reason or cause.

And I hate to break it to you, but the CM and F2P has brought new life back to this game when it was on the verge of being a failure mid-last year. You may not like the CM, you may call it a mistake, but if so, then it's a 'mistake' that's saved the game from failing.

Lastly, the old tired threat of 'do what I want or I unsub!' simply doesn't matter anymore. An MMO's success is no longer determined by active sub numbers, but by how much money is brought in, quarterly.

So, go ahead and quit.

I dont assume the worst without reason or cause, I see it as a natural evolution of their current business plan.

I dont know if you've ever seen the business plan of an American multibillion company but it doesnt anywhere state "customers" or "clients" (unless this goes public of course)

Its about making as much money as possible, as fast as possible. Thats what theyre doing right now, and theyre pushing it to see how far they can go and once they break it its gone forever.

CM and F2P werent a bad thing and I agree they breathe new life into the game, I dont even mind the CM. What I mind is that an integral part of the game (the Reputation) is now exclusive to the CM.

I didnt say it in itself was a mistake, the way theyre going with it is a mistake.

I know it doesnt matter anymore, which is sad. They only care about "instant customers" and think on short-term instead of long-term, just like they did with this entire game! (80+ server at launch? Lol....)

It is a sad day when an MMO based on an IP like this cares only for money and not its fans, you might say "well its a business not a charity" they were making a good enough profit 3 months ago so the fact that they implement systems to make even more profit is pure greed. Its not like its being put back into the game because its profitable and they havent introduced new devs or Community Managers (3 is not enough)