The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Scripts in PVP

Crawelc

I haven't noticed it personally but if it is true that it's happening then scripting like that is stupid and pointless. So what if you can automate your rotation in top end PVP, winning means nothing truth be told. Honestly a close challenging game that you may lose even is a hell of a lot more fun then steamrolling people especially if your using some kind of cheats. The game and PVP are meant to be fun and pressing 1 button to have everything done for you would be insanely boring. It's only a game and many people seem to not realise that, if you are using bots to 'win' in PVP you are completely defeating the purpose of what you are doing. I can't understand any motivation to do this apart from some initial laughs before you get over it quickly; I guess some people do it because they think they are being ****** or something when in reality they are completely wasting their time. Edited by NotAnyOldName

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't noticed it personally but if it is true that it's happening then scripting like that is stupid and pointless. So what if you can automate your rotation in top end PVP, winning means nothing truth be told. Honestly a close challenging game that you may lose even is a hell of a lot more fun then steamrolling people especially if your using some kind of cheats. The game and PVP are meant to be fun and pressing 1 button to have everything done for you would be insanely boring. It's only a game and many people seem to not realise that, if you are using bots to 'win' in PVP you are completely defeating the purpose of what you are doing. I can't understand any motivation to do this apart from some initial laughs before you get over it quickly; I guess some people do it because they think they are being ****** or something when in reality they are completely wasting their time.

This is why the person in question deleted his characters.. at the time.. he didn't see the point to playing anymore since this is what he was doing as well as the so called top tier players.. If that was the reason why they where successful then why bother.. was the thought.

Just about every single piece of gaming hardware in the past 10 - 15 years comes with the ability to macro. In fact a lot of gaming companies do not produce internal macroing support for their games because they know hardware manufactures are already doing it for them.

As far as macros go, every single macro program will allow you to bind multiple functions to a single button. They will allow you to loop macros, play for as long as the button is pressed down, remap keys on your keyboard, etc, etc. This is nothing new at all. Nor is it something that gamers should be upset about. I'll put it to you this way. Every single person on the planet has access to these hardware devices just as every single person has access to better computers, better in game gear, etc ,etc. Bioware even has star wars gear with Razor. Razor releases them with their macroing software. Basically if Bioware says that you can't use macros (which they won't), they would have to renegotiate their contracts with Razor.

Now full automation scripting is a real issue. These programs allow you to be totally AFK and your computer will essentially run your character through the game. I witnessed these types of programs first hand while leveling my toon in Guild Wars 2. The bots were literally everywhere. I don't know if their are any type of automated bots in starwars. In PvP, botting would not be an issue. Bots would literally be destroyed by any player with even a dismally poor take on the game. The only real function a bot has is to level a character or farm credits, beyond that they are rubbish.

I would also like to point out that the people who run scripts are generally making real $ from them. That is, they are leveling and selling characters or farming and selling credits to people too lazy to get them themselves. All those annoying spam emails you get telling you you can buy X amount of credits for real USD.. it's essentially these clowns doing it.

Edited by JackNader

Imagine this:

There is a free program out there that will allow you to shoot of non global cooldown abilities as soon as they are available.

It lets you use finishing moves instantly, as soon as your target hits the required % of health.

It buffs you or your team as soon as you have the required stacks of whatever.

It runs on its own, without causing lag.

It can be turned on and off whenever you chose.

It has ZERO drawbacks.

It takes 5 mins or less to set up.

It is a SWTOR endorsed product.

This is available to anyone, anywhere in the world, and it is the LEAST useful of the scripts out there.

Now, go to logitech.com and download it.

That is not a script. It's a simple macro binding multiple key presses to 1 key and then slotting in Berserk/predation, vicious throw and regular spam abilities. It also yields a negligible advantage over clickers or button pressing. You are still restricted to pressing 1 button per global (with the exception of berserk.) If you put said macro on an infinite loop it would produce a very large amount of system lag rendering the macro useless. Setting said macro to poll 2 or 3 times per second will not be advantageous either as the polls and global cool downs need to sync up perfectly to function correctly. This is not possible to achieve and you will end up missing global cool downs or adding a sizable amount of button pressing lag by nature. The only way to resolve this is to physical mash the button which then puts you on par with non macroing button mashers and button clickers. While your post was very dramatic, it's painting a very distorted view of a real life situation.

Proper scripting is very different from what you are talking about.

Edited by JackNader

That is not a script. It's a simple macro binding multiple key presses to 1 key and then slotting in Berserk/predation, vicious throw and regular spam abilities. It also yields a negligible advantage over clickers or button pressing. You are still restricted to pressing 1 button per global (with the exception of berserk.) If you put said macro on an infinite loop it would produce a very large amount of system lag rendering the macro useless. Setting said macro to poll 2 or 3 times per second will not be advantageous either as the polls and global cool downs need to sync up perfectly to function correctly. This is not possible to achieve and you will end up missing global cool downs or adding a sizable amount of button pressing lag by nature. The only way to resolve this is to physical mash the button which then puts you on par with non macroing button mashers and button clickers. While your post was very dramatic, it's painting a very distorted view of a real life situation.

Proper scripting is very different from what you are talking about.

So if you press 4 keys in 1 second, it causes horendous lag?

Imagine all the people you see in gen chat calling you noob, and the infrastructure grids to a halt. OHH, the humanity.

Try again.

As I said, this is the least helpful macro system, and no, it does not lag at all.

Edited by Zenates
Addition

with keybinds, mouse movement, and practice, you'd surpass your need for such programs. i'd rather be able to make current choices on what to cast than have my next 5 or 6 moves queued up for me.

if you were talking aimbots in fps, yeah those are annoying. but this i don't think is as big an issue as you are trying to make it sound. a script can execute a rotation like a good player, but it cant alter that rotation to deal with emerging conditions

Did any of you play RIFT at all? 1 button rotations were extremely possible with their macro system in that game.

Now imagine that macro system on top of a program that won't overlap dots, will only use an ability when a proc is up to get the most benefit out of it, will use abilities to manage resources as needed, hits every button on the gcd exactly 1.5 seconds after the others been pressed so there's 0 delay, will make sure to pop any ability that isn't on the gcd to maximize dps if told, will use a health pack at a certain % of hp, and all you have to do is move a character.

So if this is how you're playing the game and you're beating up everyone else and know of top tier pvp'ers that are doing the same and beating others up too... What would that say about this game or most of your playing abilities?

Did any of you play RIFT at all? 1 button rotations were extremely possible with their macro system in that game.

Now imagine that macro system on top of a program that won't overlap dots, will only use an ability when a proc is up to get the most benefit out of it, will use abilities to manage resources as needed, hits every button on the gcd exactly 1.5 seconds after the others been pressed so there's 0 delay, will make sure to pop any ability that isn't on the gcd to maximize dps if told, will use a health pack at a certain % of hp, and all you have to do is move a character.

So if this is how you're playing the game and you're beating up everyone else and know of top tier pvp'ers that are doing the same and beating others up too... What would that say about this game or most of your playing abilities?

I feel like there are many in PotF responsible for doing this. :(

So if you press 4 keys in 1 second, it causes horendous lag?

Imagine all the people you see in gen chat calling you noob, and the infrastructure grids to a halt. OHH, the humanity.

Try again.

As I said, this is the least helpful macro system, and no, it does not lag at all.

Little advice. Try actually reading an entire passage before hitting reply.

Edited by JackNader

You used a hack that played the game for you...

You had a pocket healer in a voidstar...

And you still only hit 600k?

600k is like the least amount of damage I can do in a vs.

Fyi, this is basically an advisement for that macrogoblin program. The op might work for them. There is no way a program could play this game as well as a player in pvp. There are too many variables, too many split second decisions that are made, positionally, rotation, cooldpwn, and otherwise for this to work well in pvp. Furthermore, I know for a fact that the best rated team on shadowlands, my own guild, uses nothing of this sort. If someone did use it, I would laugh at them, because I know that pvp in this game is too complex for a program to come anywhere near A PERSON. A program might be able to do a set rotation, but can it react to buffs and debuff procs? Can it tell when to save a cooldown or use it? If you guys actually believe that there is some magical program that makes you a god in pvp, you are more desperate and guillable than I thought.

Delete this please bioware, this these is basically a phishing scam on your forums, hoping to get people to buy a program so that some nigerian can steal your subscribers money. Pathetic.

That is an example of a proper script in play which requires a means of reading procs on your bar. It is hands down a cheat and should be easily detectable by Bioware. Perhaps this is the "third party" software that a certain person from the harbinger was banned for. The only information that Bioware released was that he was found using "third party software" which gave him an advantage over other players.

People, (not referring to Xerain) do not confuse this with simple macroing. They are apples to oranges.

Edited by JackNader

Fyi, this is basically an advisement for that macrogoblin program. The op might work for them. There is no way a program could play this game as well as a player in pvp. There are too many variables, too many split second decisions that are made, positionally, rotation, cooldpwn, and otherwise for this to work well in pvp. Furthermore, I know for a fact that the best rated team on shadowlands, my own guild, uses nothing of this sort. If someone did use it, I would laugh at them, because I know that pvp in this game is too complex for a program to come anywhere near A PERSON. A program might be able to do a set rotation, but can it react to buffs and debuff procs? Can it tell when to save a cooldown or use it? If you guys actually believe that there is some magical program that makes you a god in pvp, you are more desperate and guillable than I thought.

Delete this please bioware, this these is basically a phishing scam on your forums, hoping to get people to buy a program so that some nigerian can steal your subscribers money. Pathetic.

My op never mentions the name of any program whatsoever. But to be honest with you without trying I found 2 other programs that work even better. Please edit your post to take the name of the program out. I do not want this thread deleted over your misunderstanding of what I am trying to do here.

Sorry mr "i am so pro lol i do legit dps all the time im awesome". You are the minority and everything you just said is irreverent to the matter at hand.

Obviously, reading wasn't your strong suit, amirite?

with keybinds, mouse movement, and practice, you'd surpass your need for such programs. i'd rather be able to make current choices on what to cast than have my next 5 or 6 moves queued up for me.

if you were talking aimbots in fps, yeah those are annoying. but this i don't think is as big an issue as you are trying to make it sound. a script can execute a rotation like a good player, but it cant alter that rotation to deal with emerging conditions

Actually the OP is speaking about "bots". Like the Walker or Ranger for Lineage 2.

It is not only for rotations. You can program many other actions. Like hiting the CC breaker the exact moment the resolve bar is full. Or any other action which requires fast reflexes and of course the computer will be always faster than human.

I have seen few cases (everyone who played Lineage could detect them immediately) but it was long time ago.

After a banhammer announced by Bioware I have not seen Neo's reflexes anymore.

Actually the OP is speaking about "bots". Like the Walker or Ranger for Lineage 2.

It is not only for rotations. You can program many other actions. Like hiting the CC breaker the exact moment the resolve bar is full. Or any other action which requires fast reflexes and of course the computer will be always faster than human.

I have seen few cases (everyone who played Lineage could detect them immediately) but it was long time ago.

After a banhammer announced by Bioware I have not seen Neo's reflexes anymore.

Finally someone has read the op and commented. Thank you sir.

I guess this is only a problem on other servers... I can vouch that none of the top guilds on shadowlands uses third kind of thing in pvp. I still.remain quite skeptical, and I sincerely doubt that a bunch of players using automated actions would be as good sd a top pvp guild with proper focus fire and tactics. I didnt even really care if someone did use a program. I'm that confident in my skill and my guilds skill as a pvper. Obviously though, they should be banned.

I guess this is only a problem on other servers... I can vouch that none of the top guilds on shadowlands uses third kind of thing in pvp. I still.remain quite skeptical, and I sincerely doubt that a bunch of players using automated actions would be as good sd a top pvp guild with proper focus fire and tactics. I didnt even really care if someone did use a program. I'm that confident in my skill and my guilds skill as a pvper. Obviously though, they should be banned.

This isn't about the 1337 people or rateds. Why do people keep bringing it up?

You're joking right? You know there is a GCD? This is a troll....100% No one can be this misinformed.

You know, all you have to do is tailor the delay's to the GCD (which everyone knows is 1.5 sec.) and adjust the timing tailored to the user's specific latency. I won't go into more detail here for obvious reasons but even a troll with down syndrome can do it and you don't need a "macro goblin" esq program to accomplish it.

Edited by tendura

This isn't about the 1337 people or rateds. Why do people keep bringing it up?

Because everyone keeps mentioning that the elite, best of the best pvpers are the ones supposedly using this, which would mean the top guilds, the ones that dominate in rated and premades. Clearly that is not the case. The op would have you believethat EVERY top guild uses something like this, and I think it is actually a very small minority, if any, and what they gain is probably not anywhere near what they would gain from actually being good. Its stil wrong if it is occurring, I just dont think its as big of a deal... I guess because it still does not give players an advantage over me that agood player wouldnt have.

So let me clarify: noobs using programs to win a 1v1 s and farm damage in normal warzone does not equal top pvper. If it can coordinate focus targets for people and best a top rated team, then I would be concerned.