The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Full AP viable in pvp for 2.0?

KainrycKarr

The good:

-autocrit rail shot now that crits are more difficult to get / rare

-energy shield will have more up time now that they gave us energy rebounder.

The bad:

-TTK length might negate any positive effects from energy rebounder

-with hydraulic overrides now given to all bounty hunters, the spec seems less unique

-flamethrower in pvp still kind of tough to use.

I think pyro will still have the advantage, but the spec is still pretty good for regular wzs.

Edited by af_raptura

The good:

-autocrit rail shot now that crits are more difficult to get / rare

-energy shield will have more up time now that they gave us energy rebounder.

The bad:

-TTK length might negate any positive effects from energy rebounder

-with hydraulic overrides now given to all bounty hunters, the spec seems less unique

-flamethrower in pvp still kind of tough to use.

I think pyro will still have the advantage, but the spec is still pretty good for regular wzs.

Well the thing is, on live, as full min/max WH AP, I can regularly beat even good pyros in equal or better gear 1v1.

There's still a gap, but it's small enough right now that I feel AP is currently viable. I'm trying to get a feel if that gap has widened too much with 2.0.

Well the thing is, on live, as full min/max WH AP, I can regularly beat even good pyros in equal or better gear 1v1.

There's still a gap, but it's small enough right now that I feel AP is currently viable. I'm trying to get a feel if that gap has widened too much with 2.0.

I find that a little bit hard to believe. While AP is definitely viable in pvp currently on live, in a direct 1vs1 encounter vs a Pyrotech odds are stacked quite heavily against you. They will do more DPS, more burst, and they can stun you to interrupt your most potent attack twice while you cannot do the same to them. It's not impossible to beat them when you outplay them (bait them to use their CC breaker on electro dart first, then followup with carbonize & prototype flamethrower for example), but to say you can regularly beat good Pyrotechs in better gear than you even seems unlikely.

In 2.0 the difference between both specs lessens somewhat, with AP getting additional burst through the more useful auto-crit on railshot, and the extra shoulder-rockets. Loosing HO as its defining talent is a big blow though. AP should have had a jet-charge in exchange.

Edited by LordExozone

I find that a little bit hard to believe. While AP is definitely viable in pvp currently on live, in a direct 1vs1 encounter vs a Pyrotech odds are stacked quite heavily against you. They will do more DPS, more burst, and they can stun you to interrupt your most potent attack twice while you cannot do the same to them. It's not impossible to beat them when you outplay them (bait them to use their CC breaker on electro dart first, then followup with carbonize & prototype flamethrower for example), but to say you can regularly beat good Pyrotechs in better gear than you even seems unlikely.

In 2.0 the difference between both specs lessens somewhat, with AP getting additional burst through the more useful auto-crit on railshot, and the extra shoulder-rockets. Loosing HO as its defining talent is a big blow though. AP should have had a jet-charge in exchange.

Well, I can't prove the better gear. I have min-maxed full War Hero. I assume some of them are in EWH, but perhaps not min-maxed.

Of course I do lose my fair share, but I am regularly able to win 1v1s with them. No, I don't think I'm super-awesome. AP is weaker, but right now it's workable if you put enough time into playing and master the spec.

They have the same stuns as I do, and having already played pyrotech previously, it helps to know what they're probably hitting me with next. I time my CD's and stuns/stunbreakers accordingly.

Btw, we already have the auto-crit on railshot, it is called charged gauntlets.

Edited by KainrycKarr

HO being given to all hunters I think is a joke lol. I can see why a Merc would appreciate it but Pyros? Theyre likely to kill their targets even if rooted. And even in a crowd situation they can at least take a few down with them. HO will just be there for like Huttball imo.

Anyways, i just switched to AP after leveling and months as Pyro and I see it as being perfectly viable in PvP but i think it is a more defensive class in terms of WZ objectives. Yeah FT is not the easiest to use in a warzone but with 3stack slow from PFT using it while defending a node or trying to cap a node i think its great. Coupled with the SCannon and Shield ability we are getting i think an AP can easily hold a node. And of course i see no problem with it 1v1 just watch your procs

HO being given to all hunters I think is a joke lol. I can see why a Merc would appreciate it but Pyros? Theyre likely to kill their targets even if rooted. And even in a crowd situation they can at least take a few down with them. HO will just be there for like Huttball imo.

Anyways, i just switched to AP after leveling and months as Pyro and I see it as being perfectly viable in PvP but i think it is a more defensive class in terms of WZ objectives. Yeah FT is not the easiest to use in a warzone but with 3stack slow from PFT using it while defending a node or trying to cap a node i think its great. Coupled with the SCannon and Shield ability we are getting i think an AP can easily hold a node. And of course i see no problem with it 1v1 just watch your procs

Right it's fine right now, I'm speaking in terms of anyone who's done any testing on PTS. I would do it myself, but I don't have the patience to try with the bolstering crap going on.

I'm not yet sure how I feel about HO being given to all hunters. I feel like AP should've gotten something else to compensate...but I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Edited by KainrycKarr

I know we do, its the relative value of a crit has gone up with crits becoming more rare.

Ah, gotcha. Y'know I keep hearing about this, but it must've gone over my head when I read the PTS notes...I don't suppose you have a link to this? Or do I need to stop being lazy and do research haha

Ah, gotcha. Y'know I keep hearing about this, but it must've gone over my head when I read the PTS notes...I don't suppose you have a link to this? Or do I need to stop being lazy and do research haha

In the release notes it simply says stats have been rebalanced. The net effect is a lot lower crit.

I'm not yet sure how I feel about HO being given to all hunters. I feel like AP should've gotten something else to compensate...but I guess we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Well they gave AP the shield augmentation ability and increased the trees overall dps but thats it. I think ST got the most changes but they didnt really attempt to give AP any real changes outside dps boost. They gave HO to every one now so they dropped that for us but they really is nothing left thats really "unique" to AP i guess

The AP tree was always good, especially for nodes. You get huge damage from 3 stacks PFT + crits, not sure if it'll be better in 2.0 though, since crit DR is a bit horrid atm.

Grapple into group + carbonize + flamethrower was snazzy. Was pretty hot (literally) in spamming in voidstar doors too.

Yeah i pretty much use AP to defend nodes now that im speccd into it. Its pretty good considering PFT and Carbonize together can slow the invaders attacks and help cu their health with RB. In Huttball or NCoast (i hate defending there) I just go around picking people off one by one. I think with the new dps boost to AP itll be a great node defender as opposed to its battle-leading brother Pyro

My fellow Powertechs

Powertechs are getting screwed in the 2.0 patch unless people act

Question is, do Powertechs stand up for their right to fight??

I SAY HELL NO! ITS TIME TO BUMB THE THREADS!

Get to the test forums - read up on the following 4 posts!

POWERTECH PLAYERS WE NEED YOUR VOICE TO BE HEARD OR WE WILL ALL BE STUCK WITH A USELESS CLASS IN PATCH 2.0! - EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO ADD GO BUMB THE THREAD TO THE TOP WE MUST BE HEARD!

/Gajol

My fellow Powertechs

Powertechs are getting screwed in the 2.0 patch unless people act

Question is, do Powertechs stand up for their right to fight??

I SAY HELL NO! ITS TIME TO BUMB THE THREADS!

Get to the test forums - read up on the following 4 posts!

POWERTECH PLAYERS WE NEED YOUR VOICE TO BE HEARD OR WE WILL ALL BE STUCK WITH A USELESS CLASS IN PATCH 2.0! - EVEN IF YOU HAVE NOTHING TO ADD GO BUMB THE THREAD TO THE TOP WE MUST BE HEARD!

/Gajol

Yep, kiss that AP viability goodbye....

AP definitely just got the boot ***. I read the latest patch notes for PTS and they cut all the damage boost and crit chance boost in half!? Yet Pyrotechs get a now 25% CGC proc, FlameSweep CGC proc, and MORE increase to overall Pyro damage!? Really what is going on

AP definitely just got the boot ***. I read the latest patch notes for PTS and they cut all the damage boost and crit chance boost in half!? Yet Pyrotechs get a now 25% CGC proc, FlameSweep CGC proc, and MORE increase to overall Pyro damage!? Really what is going on

Already addressed this with you in another thread, and you responded kindly acknowledging it :D

But just to reiterate for those who might be thinking the same way, CGC damage was cut in half, which killed a PVE Pyro's sustained damage. Thermal Detonator had it's damage split between burst kinetic damage, and an elemental burn over 12 seconds. The damage stayed the same, but now the burst has been lessened (a PVP nerf, since no PVE Pyro took TD).

I can't believe not one of you mentioned that ft in 2.0 is uninterruptible. Clearly people do not see the huge advantage that is.

For shame, I hope none of you actually play ap because to overlook that is about as dumb as you can get.

Uh...Flamethrower at 3 stacks for AP is immune to interrupts on live right now, it's definitely not new in 2.0. It can be interupted if an opponent uses a CC or a knockback, however...and that appears to not have been changed for 2.0 as well.