The option to rename characters please?

I have a character name that I don't like anymore and want it changed to something better. Doubt Bioware would change it for me now. The option to rename it from cartel market atleast be helpful. To keep the mechanic under control, Bioware could only allow characters to be renamed once a month, would be reasonable in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
Name change won't affect the ignore list. I don't care about name changing BUT if u have a legit claim you can request a name change right now by a ticket!

That's bull, I had a legit claim and they pretty much told me to go screw.

Dear SWTOR Fiscally Responsible Parties,

Even without freebie name changes I am a happy subscriber and consumer of Cartel Market paraphernalia. The perceived false-promises of subscriber entitlement is of no concern to me. However, the business-minded pragmatician within me is compelled to point out the logic that is being overlooked when the decision is repetitively made to dismiss the option of adding a consumable name change service to this game.

We, the patient customers since game-launch, know through server mergers that the code has already been written that permits a user to rename their character without customer service supervision. Judging by the number of threads on this topic and pre-existing implementation in all competitive MMOs, your customers will eagerly buy this service through micro-transactions. It will obviously be a long term seller with replenishing demand.

Very few products sold with micro-transactions can boast the player retention numbers of this necessary service. There are numerous reasons that a player may want to change their character's name and, almost all of them can be game-breaking for these individuals.

After the exhilarating server mergers in which many players hastily moved to their new server to re-establish their communities and organizations, let's face it, we found ourselves with a large number of obsessive players disenchanted with something as simple as new character names. These lost souls have no other options but to: submit tickets, complain on forums, begrudgingly start over while abandoning their investments, or in the worst cases (when immersion is crippled through frustration), strangle the product of recurring cash entirely when a paying customer simply leaves the game.

I struggle to understand the logic in stalling this objective for any other micro-transactional service. A negative path of questioning is haunting each of us with each passing week.

• Is prioritizing new fluff-driven cartel pack deployment going to save this game with quick income or ruin it with neglected objectives?
  • Is the blatant abandonment of initiatives like player-driven name changes the answer to the previous question?
  • Am I the only customer asking these questions?

I trust we are in agreement that maintaining Character Names and/or providing a player-driven path to change Character Names is a forefront concern when considering player(customer) retention in an online community based game and, I look forward to the increased prioritization and swift implementation of this much needed service.

Thank you for your attention to this matter,

Microtransactions are the unfortunate future of gaming. I understand the business of providing new content to keep interest in a game as it freshens things up. I'd get bored without new operations, flashpoints, events, etc. to keep things moving. Sadly because this type of game requires servers, bandwidth, administration, etc. a continued steam of revenue must be the driving force for much of what goes on in the game.

What BioWare fails to understand is that some of the MMO basics that are missing from this game would go along way toward pleasing people and changing the perception of the game as a whole. Not every complaint is valid, and some things are really stupid fluff like sitting in chairs. But services like name changes, character transfers and the ability to change colors on armor / hair etc. are pretty basic. The game launched without being able to fully customize the user interface which was retarded. Things like that should have been addressed before release. Instead they've been working hard on the acheivement system which can be seen in the legacy on the PTS. Who the **** cares about that? The game has functional problems and they want an XBOX Live! style achievement tracker?!?!? While that's pretty cool in a "oh look what I did" kind of way it doesn't serve to better the game in a meaningful way. I'm more interested in character customization options and things like dual-spec's / gearing for PvP / PVE switching than I am fluff like achievement trackers and sitting in chairs.

BioWare has screwed up priorities if you ask me.

I support this idea too, it's something that has become common in almost all MMO's, just like server transfers.

And even games that came out around the same time as ToR have these basic services - the ones that immediately come to mind being TERA and TSW, and of course pretty much every veteran MMO out there has it (I'm pretty sure even some of the smaller titles have it).

I wonder if the tie-ins to the Legacy system make it more complicated for SW:ToR?

Edited by Callaron

PLEASE Bioware implement this.

I re-named my first character in haste after the server mergers and I hate the new name.

I know it's 'just a name' but it makes it hard to get back into playing the character now.

I tried opening a ticket and got nowhere. :mad:

Information prior to the changeover to F2P stated that subscribers were supposed to get one free character rename and one free legacy rename per month after F2P went live...several months later...still waiting...

They better not even dare charging me for this after saying we'd get it for free as subscribers. I've got a couple characters I haven't bothered rerolling because I was just going to use my free name changes on them, and have my backup names reserved with the additional characters slots we got.

Information prior to the changeover to F2P stated that subscribers were supposed to get one free character rename and one free legacy rename per month after F2P went live...several months later...still waiting...

They better not even dare charging me for this after saying we'd get it for free as subscribers. I've got a couple characters I haven't bothered rerolling because I was just going to use my free name changes on them, and have my backup names reserved with the additional characters slots we got.

That's the first I've heard of that... sure it was an official source?

That's the first I've heard of that... sure it was an official source?

Yes, it was right on the webpage here showing the benefits of staying subscribed vs. going free...it might even still be there...I'm gonna have to look for it. There was even a forum thread started about it with a yellow post saying something like "yes we plan on offering this service, but it will not be ready for the F2P launch" or something like that.

EDIT: Found the thread...http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=555954

It turned into a petition thread after a couple months since this feature was never implemented and its mention was removed from the Sub/F2P feature comparrison page. False advertising FTL.

Edited by Saregon

Yes, it was right on the webpage here showing the benefits of staying subscribed vs. going free...it might even still be there...I'm gonna have to look for it. There was even a forum thread started about it with a yellow post saying something like "yes we plan on offering this service, but it will not be ready for the F2P launch" or something like that.

EDIT: Found the thread...http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=555954

It turned into a petition thread after a couple months since this feature was never implemented and its mention was removed from the Sub/F2P feature comparrison page. False advertising FTL.

I thought I had read that too, but then couldn't find it when I went to open my ticket. It's pretty frustrating when you know they already have the 'feature' built into the game and they still refuse to implement it, or even throw people a bone when they open a ticket.

I even tried to be a little silly with my ticket and report my own character's name for being offensive to me. :p But still they refused to do anything.

Sorry, but that option is stupid and would ruin community. Ninjas would be in paradise... "Gonna ninja today, *change nick*, ninja again, *change nick*, etc"...

NO Thanks :)

Um almost every MMO has name changing options. No reason why this game can't as well. Ninja players is your excuse to preventing this mechanic from being possible? It's called ignore list, ever heard of it? I don't care about ninjas. I have a crappy character name for one of my toons and want it changed. Why is that so hard to ask for?

Sorry, but that option is stupid and would ruin community. Ninjas would be in paradise... "Gonna ninja today, *change nick*, ninja again, *change nick*, etc"...

NO Thanks :)

Just curious, (i know what a ninja looter is) but what are they looting, they cant loot the mobs you kill, unless you mean the chests. Simple fix for that, increase the respawn on them so everone gets one chest and put a lockout timer so the same player cant open the same chest for x hours.

Honestly... how is this not an option? Considering SW:TOR is heading down the micro transaction route, it's amazing that they're neglecting to provide customers with the most common micro transaction offered in MMO's- nevermind the fact that they previously announced it as being available to us!

I am currently happy with my character's names, though I'd really like to see this implemented as well. It seems to be a common feature in MMO's (GW2 recently added this too) and would go very well with a character recustomization service. :)

As for worry about people being jerks and then changing their name -- unless they have turned over a new leaf, they will quickly be revealed as jerks again. And I may be wrong, but wouldn't they remain on ignore lists anyway? Also, this would probably be a somewhat pricier feature as it would not be something that is done as often as, say, changing one's hairstyle. A 30 day cooldown could be added as well, if needed.