Vanguard leveling spec's

Hotec

whats the best leveling spec for a vanguard from start.. im level 11 right now,

I do solo leveling, pvp and instances, (mostly pvp, and solo leveling)

I'm looking for a damage / tank build

also, how does "energy" attacks work?

Energy Attacks are your Ion Pulse, Ion Cannon, and when you get Ion Cell that as well. There are a few more energy attacks you will get as you progress, which escape me at the moment.

I have been leveling up with the Shield tree, but that is fairly lacking in damage. I plan on respecing once i log in to Tactics as that seems to have some fun talents in it for more of a damaging role.

I've been leveling entirely Shield spec so far and I'm lv30 now. It's been great in my opinion. I run Elara for heals, pretty much never die, and just gather up and AOE everything I find. One thing Vanguard isn't lacking is AOE ability.

ok, so i assume you keep your compainion wiht you? i tend to send mine out for slincing at all times to make credits..

is tatics's the higher damage tree?

I have 3 companions at the moment (4 if you count the ship droid) so yes i have one companion with me at all times (Elara for heals).

I am not sure if tactics is the highest of the trees but Tactics and Shield are unique to the vanguard with the other tree being shared with the Commando.

I agree with the above poster about the survival of the vanguard shield spec. It is a bit slower but hardly ever any downtime.

Elara is okay, but Jorgan adds much needed dps, which reduce the duration of the fight, ie you take less damage. Elara doesn't do much beside healing in the damage apartment. I prefer Jorgan since things die fast and he got his own AE abilities and deals quite a bit of damage.

Swtor is one of the few mmos that don't have a "downtime" in that regard. Your regen ability is insanely good and removes any "downtime" unless you consider it downtime to use it for 1-2 seconds, every now and then(lol).

Edited by hulduet

I've been leveling entirely Shield spec so far and I'm lv30 now. It's been great in my opinion. I run Elara for heals, pretty much never die, and just gather up and AOE everything I find. One thing Vanguard isn't lacking is AOE ability.

What kind of AOE? All I see is explosive surge. I really wanted to make an AOE trooper type character (grenades/explosions and whatnot) but all I see is one AOE for vanguard and 2 for commando but they are on relatively long cooldown (motar and plasma nade- both of which also cannot be improved by talents :( )

ok, so i assume you keep your compainion wiht you? i tend to send mine out for slincing at all times to make credits..

is tatics's the higher damage tree?

I advise holding off on doing that while youre questing, and only leveling crafting skill when youre in a non-combat zone on Corusant. You should get a second companion by around level...15-16ish, and then crafting gets much smoother as you can keep one with you and send the other one off to do stuff.

Just stockpile materials, and then you can sit there in town and send both companions off to craft and level it up right quick before heading to Taris. IMO anyway.

I have leveled with tactics so far, which as the above poster said, is slow until mid 20's. Once I got the bolts and Gut, it was gg. The speed boost for using the bolts is very good....I can pretty much solo champs with my companion and almost take 0 damage from kiting.