My review of EP III

Slowpokeking

EP III is mostly viewed as the best one of PT, there were so much conflicts, deaths and touching moments. I will say it’s better than EP IV and VI.

The flaw is simple, it’s way too rushed to cover so many events. It started 3 years after EP II, near the end of the Clone Wars, so PT pretty much only showed us the beginning and the end of the Clone Wars, we weren‘t able to see many conflicts during the war without looking at EU.

The duel with Count Dooku is not bad, but could have been done much better. The novel did a much better job on this, it was very detailed, well explained, had several twists and showed Dooku’s characters nicely. However the death scene of Dooku was done much better in the movie, he didn’t beg for life like in the novel, just used his expression to show the pain of being betrayed. I heard it was Sir Christopher Lee‘s request, we have to thank him for that, with his great performance. Overall, like I said in EP II‘s review, Dooku deserves more screen time to let people really understand his character.

GG is another villain in EP III, he was a very powerful and deadly cyborg general in CW, a formidable opponent in other EU such as Labyrinth of Evil. In the movie he was shown much weaker and act like a coward, that’s not a big issue. His character is simpler than Maul and Dooku, but a little explanation of how did he become a cyborg and how did he become the general of CIS would be very good since he was shown as a very important figure of the CIS. PT had several villains, but only Palpatine really got the screen time he deserved in the movies.

Palpatine was perfect before he was “deformed”. His most outstanding scene is The Tragedy of Dart Plagueis the Wise. The acting and script are both fantastic. He used his charming tone to tell a mysterious tragic story of a legendary Sith Lord, who in truth was his master to lure Anakin to the Dark Side. Too bad the scene that he recorded his conversation with the Jedi Masters before the fight were deleted. after Palpatine was “deformed” the acting seems went over the top for a bit. Maybe because Lucas wanted to link him to the Emperor in OT. Overall, Palpatine is the best character PT portrayed. Even many PT haters admitted it. Ian showed us a cold, manipulative politician and Sith Lord with a charming, gentle and mild alter ego as disguise. This charming disguise actually made his Banite Sith true nature more insidious and terrifying. His Palpatine is also one of the coolest movie villains in recent years.

Hayden's performance improved significantly compared to EP II. In EP II he was a young padawan, in EP III he already became a husband and a hero of the war, but he was facing a very difficult situation. He showed Anakin’s panic, anger, doubt, and his struggle when he was in the center of the storm. The nightmare of Padmé's death haunted him, he tried to seek answer from Yoda and got nothing but those stupid “let things go” words again. At the same time he was forced to make a difficult choice between the Jedi Council and Palpatine. The Jedi wanted him to watch, and possible could ask him to go against Palpatine despite Palpatine had been a mentor and friend to him. Palpatine was keep telling him the problem of the Jedi, giving him hint to drop the Jedi way, even started to seduce him to the Dark Side. He befriended with both sides and didn‘t want to go against either of them. I disagree with TCW Anakin> PT Anakin, in TCW Anakin never met such difficult situation . So it’s really hard for him to remain calm. Eventually he chose to go tell the Jedi Council when he realized Palpatine is Sidious, but he later worried about the situation and eventually ran the office. Driven by fear to lose his loved ones forever, he helped Palpatine killed Mace Windu. Hayden performed very well, showed us the character’s struggle and fear, and finally made the big mistake due to these emotion. After his downfall, while I like the novel’s portrayal of a cruel Sith apprentice(In the novel he was making jokes with those CIS leaders during the massacre, and told Padme a good plan to overthrow Palpatine), the movie showed us a young man who went to the wrong path by fear and frustration, and he later regret, even cried for his wrongful actions. When he was facing Padme he wasn’t so confident, but was trying to let both her and himself accept the words he said. Hayden was excellent overall, if we have to talk about flaw, some lines’ delivery could be done better, his voice is not amazing, compare to Vader.

Also many people blame PT’s Anakin for not being what they had expected, I think it’s misunderstanding. Their expectation was based on what Obi Wan said in EP IV.

Obi-Wan: He was the best star pilot in the galaxy, and a cunning warrior. I understand that you've become quite a good pilot yourself. And he was a good friend.

So that’s when Obi Wan lied to Luke about Vader killing his father which hurt his credibility, do not forget what he said about Vader next.

A young Jedi named Darth Vader, who was a pupil of mine until he turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi knights. He betrayed and murdered your father. Now the Jedi are all but extinct. Vader was seduced by the dark side of the Force.

In fact, not only this, EP V and VI there mentioned Anakin a few times.

Yoda mentioned it, too.

"Much anger in him ... like his father"

Obi Wan told Luke in EP VI.

Your father ... was seduced by the Dark Side of the Force.

There Vader himself

You don't know the power of the Dark Side.

These clearly showed Anakin was not some “perfect Jedi”, he was interested in power and had much anger. Not to say Anakin did not die, and to understand him we should look at Vader first. Dark Side usually does not brainwash and totally reshape a person, but expand the darkness in their heart to maximum. OT told us Anakin embraced the Dark Side willingly, there was darkness inside him before his turn. So I am very opposed to view Anakin and Vader as two separate people like Obi Wan and maybe other old Jedi, otherwise we would not be able to understand his fall. Of course, I think many people believe that because to them, Obi Wan is a great mentor and sage in OT, he would not make such mistake, even his lie was “truth from a specific view”.

Padmé was not that strong and independent compare to the first two movies, but she did get more character development since she was in the struggle to choose between her husband and all the good things, unlike Leia was totally kept out from the conflict of Luke and Vader‘s father and son conflict. It’s a pity that they deleted the scene of her meeting with those senators who later became important figures of the rebels. I have always felt that her death was the weakest part of EP III. She was a very strong and independent woman, the medical droid said she had no physical injury, she also had a glimmer of hope of Anakin and just gave birth to two children, who need her to take care of, and she just died due to “heartbreaking”, that really weakened her character a lot, even let Palpatine killer her with the Force would be better.

The Jedi Council also played a negative role in Anakin‘s downfall. The prequel might have many problems, but it showed the stubbornness, the problem of the old Jedi Order very well. The Order 66 scene is sad to see, but it‘s also the inevitable outcome of the old Jedi. In EP II and III, Yoda‘s words to Anakin were mostly inflexible crap and totally let Anakin lost the hope on follow the Jedi way to save his wife. They knew Anakin and Palpatine had good relationship but still push him to help them go against Palpatine. These all showed they just want all Jedi to put down and repressed feelings, they ignore personal feelings and just focus on the so-called Greater Good, eventually it lead to Anakin and their downfall. If we look at OT again after PT, we will understand better about why would Obi Wan and Yoda lied to Luke and still pushed him to kill Vader, and feel more uneasy and touching of Luke‘s choice at last. If Lucas could make the scene of Qui Gon Jinn’s conversation with Yoda about the old Jedi’s fall and Yoda‘s apology, it would be really great. I also think Qui Gon Jinn should definitely appear in the end of EP VI. Not because he rediscovered the technique of Force Ghost, but his way let the Jedi reborn in ruins. Luke never met Qui Gon, but got Qui Gon’s idea and saved himself, his father, the Jedi and the galaxy. It’s quite interesting to think about it. Thirty six years ago, when nobody(including Padme and Obi Wan) beside Shmi took Anakin as a big deal, when the Jedi Order refused to accept him. It was Qui Gon Jinn, a father figure to Anakin helped him get free and let the boy’s dream come true, made him a Jedi. Thirty six years later, when almost nobody in the galaxy, including the remaining Jedi thought there was good in Vader and thought he must fall, his son believed there was still good in him, finally reawakened the good in Anakin Skywalker and made him destroyed the evil, brought peace to the galaxy and balanced the Force, completed the circle and fulfilled his destiny.

A lot of people said that the prequel didn’t present Anakin and Obi Wan's friendship well. I think that the relationship between Anakin and Obi was done very accurate in PT. Obi Wan and Anakin stayed together for ten years and fought alongside each other. However, deep down they had completely different fundamental principle, safe to say both went too extreme. Obi Wan could do anything to achieve the end of the “greater good”, he had emotions but he could always put them behind, he’s a perfect old Jedi, but sadly the old Jedi are far from perfect. Anakin, could do anything to protect his loved ones, even if it was very wrong and immoral. So the two parted ways is inevitable. In the end of EP III, their conversation pretty much proved it well. Both the actors’ performance and the lines were amazing. Especially when Anakin said “If you are not with me, you are my enemy”, Obi Wan replied with “Only Sith deal in absolutes, ”, not realizing it was an absolute as well. If he said this to Dooku, Dooku surely would mock him with it. Anakin went too extreme and fall to the Dark Side. Obi Wan also went too extreme and kept his old Jedi discipline too much. After this battle, there is no friendship between the two anymore, we can see in OT, Vader killed Obi Wan without any hesitation, Obi Wan ignored Padme‘s last words and wanted Luke to kill Vader. PT handled their relationship well and fit OT, we should not just look at those lines of Obi Wan, but Vader. As the perfect old Jedi, Obi Wan judge people by absolutes, he failed to see the struggle and darkness in Anakin, just like he failed to see the good in Vader. That’s why he view Anakin and Vader as different individuals. However the fact proved he's wrong, Anakin's inner darkness lead him to his downfall, and because he once was a good man, he still had good in him, his good was awakened in the end. PT explained to us in details, he went to the Dark Side mainly because he was too afraid to lose his loved ones. There never was any character just called Vader, only Anakin Skywalker, who once turned to a Sith and was given that title, but redeemed himself in the end.

Most of EP III is great, the end is the most touching one in all Six. Padmé's funeral, Vader and the Emperor discuss the Death Star’s construction with Tarkin. Alderaan’s queen looked at Leia lovingly, Owen and Beru gave the same look to Luke when Obi Wan was walking away under the Twin Suns. Overall, EP III is at least as good as EP IV and EP VI, it could have been even better(maybe better than EP V) if it had three hours to tell the story, improve some lines and add those important scenes.

Edited by Slowpokeking

I liked 1 and 3 better then 2. Anikian is soo creepy stalker for my taste. Also the romance sucked so bad..should have gotten nora roberts or judy bloom to write those scenes for him. I cringe during the romance part. Part 3 was not so bad , less romance but made me actually feel for the two..although..when they talk it makes my ears bleed.

I can't believe Clone Wars did the Romance of Ani and Padme better then the movies itself. Where were they? Other then then that, Jedi deserved to die do to their huburis and unfeeling nature towards their constituents.

I'm pretty sure, had Yoda known Anakin was talking about his romantic love for Padme, his counsel would have been different.

Of course Anakin would most probably have had to leave the Jedi Order.

But you can't expect good counsel when you don't come out with the truth. His answers to Yoda were cryptic at best as well.

I'm pretty sure, had Yoda known Anakin was talking about his romantic love for Padme, his counsel would have been different.

But you can't expect good counsel when you don't come out with the truth. His answers to Yoda were cryptic at best as well.

Yoda didn't give any good words after Shmi's death either.

Yoda is no Dr. Phil, dude. lol

Granted, if you go by the books, Ep3 is probably the best chapter of the entire series, let alone the prequels.

But, imo, going purely by the movies themselves, its arguably the worst of all 6. I honestly find it... boring. Most of the movie is just fight scenes and the fights are mostly just pure action rather then the character progressing talky fights of the OT, and the sparse bits of talky parts end up shallow and don't really portray what they were intended to like the book does. For example, just watching the movie I had no sense at all of what Mace Windu's political ideology was. I had no idea he was actually legitimizing what Palpatine told Anakin about the conspiracy against him, Mace actually did want to overthrow Palpatine to an extent but was held back by the rest of the council. This is made very clear in the book but not in the movie. Its fleshed out Maces character, made him 3 dimensional, gave him personality and a unique perspective rather then just another guy with a light saber. The book detailed the councils own conspiracy and underhanded tactics to use Anakin, betraying his trust, to spy on Palpatine. In the movie it just seems like a typical mission, a mission Anakin doesn't want to do but typical none the less. In the book it actually gets off the point that its a completely off the books treasonous job that the council hide's true purpose fron Anakin and Obiwan even intentionally lies to Anakin about the details because they don't trust him either. Wow, what? The movie didn't explain that at all. The book also goes into great detail of what Dooku is thinking during the final duel. The book manages to make him an extremely fleshed out character in a single chapter. Meanwhile the movie he just sort of tosses a couple taunts and then gets his head chopped off end of story. Its things like this that I feel the third movie is by far the worst at. Ep.2's love scenes may have been horribly done, but at least they tried and got the point across even if it made you cringe. Its final fight scene also actually had some real character content to it rather then just pure action, though still not nearly as much as the OT. And Ep1... well, its had Qui-Gon. That alone makes it better lol. Of the entire NT, Qui-Gon and Palpatine are the only well portrayed characters imo. (And Maul, though that hardly counts since accurate portrayal of him requires very little) Ep1 was the only movie with both (or all 3). It also has some of the worst characters though (so much black and asain stereotyping it makes me want to vomit) but hey, best of the NT isn't that prestigious an honor.

Anyways thats how I feel. If you haven't already, I'd suggest reading the book for Ep3. It will make you love the story more while simultaneously highlighting all the ideas the movie failed to express.

I agree with you too. I think EP III is the best.
Ep III is my favourite too, I get what the other guy is saying and I partly agree. But I think that only applies to certain characters, the likes of Anakin, Obi Wan, Padme, Yoda etc. - I understood those characters. I even got some of the feelings you described from Mace Windu thanks to Samuel L Jackson's acting. "The oppression of the sith will never return" and all that, and then when Anakin attempted to convince him not to kill him. Seemed to evoke what you had just been saying, and I think the tension and atmosphere would have been lost if the cut to a Jedi Council chat.

And as for the duel with Dooku, there's only so much a movie can do. It can't look into people's thoughts and describe them like a book can, even though I still got some idea of what Dooku was thinking overconfidence/excitement > betrayal. You could see it in his eyes when Palpatine order his execution. Powerful stuff.

And I agree with the OP, Hayden's performance in this film was far better than the previous episode, although that wasn't bad either. And I really think he pulled of dark side really well, especially when you see him Force choking Padme, that's a favourite - really evokes the whole 'Darth Vader' theme.

I'd also agree that is was all a little rushed, I would have been more than happy if it were an hour longer - even so it made it all the more powerful as every scene was packed full of epicness. :D However I'm not too concerned with the big leap from Clone Wars to the end of the war, it paves a way for the likes of TCW (which is an awesome series) to fill the gaps. And really the thing about the Star Wars saga is each 'episode' selects a pivotal part of the protagonists life, rather than cataloging all their experiences. There's always a considerable gap between each movie. And if there wasn't, we wouldn't have the EU, would we?

I'd disagree with you about Sidious though, I think the transition from kind Chancellor figure to all powerful Sith Lord was done perfectly and not over the top. Remember this is the most powerful Sith Lord who ever lived at the pinnacle of his power and future Emperor of the Galactic Empire. His dark side voice really gave an image of a Sith Lord relishing is dark side power. He's a great actor either way though, my favourite scenes from him is when they attempt to arrest him and his demeanor completely changes and when he declares the first Galactic Empire! *thunderous applause*

both the jedi and sith philosophies are extremely flawed.

but then it's a make belief universe and George Lucas is no Philosopher nor is he a Theologian. Star Wars bourne out of his personal beliefs about life at the time, and has since developed into what we have to day.

The ethical code of the jedi, the philosophy etc, don't really work, but we can identify with enough of it, as they are modelled after organisations and religious institutions we are all well familiar with whether you are truly aware of this or not. They are nothing to be in aw of, aspire to, or believe in. Neither are the sith - which i wonder how any person with any wisdom could follow that path. Except that in life people have indeed followed even more ridiculous paths, so I guess it's feasible.

Still regarding the OP, I don't really think Hayden did that great a job in the acting, or maybe it was the script, he came off as far too immature in his reactions for the seasoned warrior he is supposed to have been at that time. We see a teenager rather than a man thrust into that conflict, like we're looking at an adolescent and not a young adult.

It's the weighting he gives to the emotions he displays, that categorizes him in the former rather than the latter, and it skews my impression of him. in CtW we see a far more mature appearing Anakin, whatever you may say, and going back to Ep3, it';s like he's regressed into the teenage youth. Remember even a teenage jedi, would be far more mature than a regular teenager.

anyway, it lacks depth I find, and in a certain way, the reactions are far too predictable from the mind set of a very young dault.

I do agree it is an improvement on Ep 1 and 2, it attempts to be more serious and it achieves that end too, unlike 1 and 2, which attend to mimic the balance between levity and sobriety like Ep 4 & 5 but fail badly in that respect. 3, like 6 has the serious tone to it, and does a good job of it, but not a good enough job.

in that respect, it's very average, the range of human emotion, conflict, portrayal, acting, authenticity, scripting all very very average compared tot he standard bearers of our age. However the fight scenes, music, special effects, are really quite outstanding, and do look quite cool.

The quality of the work is often a reflection of the wisdom and skill of the author, and i find Lucas of Star wars pretty much like I find Metzen of Warcraft, WANTING !!

Edited by Macetheace

Still regarding the OP, I don't really think Hayden did that great a job in the acting, or maybe it was the script, he came off as far too immature in his reactions for the seasoned warrior he is supposed to have been at that time. We see a teenager rather than a man thrust into that conflict, like we're looking at an adolescent and not a young adult.

It's the weighting he gives to the emotions he displays, that categorizes him in the former rather than the latter, and it skews my impression of him. in CtW we see a far more mature appearing Anakin, whatever you may say, and going back to Ep3, it';s like he's regressed into the teenage youth. Remember even a teenage jedi, would be far more mature than a regular teenager.

In TCW he never met such difficult situation. Even an adult could become very unstable in such storm.

Edited by Slowpokeking

PT got its flaws, but it also has many good points, especially EP III.

Like what? What good points? If anything the fight scenes in Ep III are laughably stupid. The dialogue is cringe worthy.

Lava surfing? Really? LAVA SURFING?

I did not dislike EP 3 but these are issues with it.

1) Padme's death: Really?, the galaxy is at war and she died of what......"lost the will to live"? What?

2) Order 66. It was done well, but it too much loaded into the very end of the films.

3) Grevious as an antagonist and Dooku's death in the first scene: A problem with the enirte trilogy, the main antagonist has no character development. We meet Dooku at the end of episoe 2, he dies in the first act of episode 3. Darth Maul has like 3 lines and then is killed.Grevious comes out of no place and also is killed. I realize palpatine is the main antagonist but we really needed a true bad guy, one that could experiiece some changes himself that could all come to a head by episode 3.

4) Anakins tun was bit rushed as well, I get the attack on windu, but to kill kids in the next scene. Idk maybe that is how far you fall in all of like 1 minute, but it felt rushed to me.

Edited by kirorx

Like what? What good points? If anything the fight scenes in Ep III are laughably stupid. The dialogue is cringe worthy.

Palpatine: Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?

Anakin: No.

Palpatine: I thought not. It's not a story the Jedi would tell you. It's a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create...life. He had such a knowledge of the Dark Side, he could even keep the ones he cared about...from dying.

Anakin: He could actually...save people from death?

Palpatine: The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.

Anakin: What happened to him?

Palpatine: He became so powerful, the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power...which, eventually of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew. Then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Plagueis never saw it coming. Ironic. He could save others from death...but not himself.

Anakin: Is it possible to learn this power?

Palpatine: Not from a Jedi.

That's one of the best dialogues in all 6 movies.

Lava surfing? Really? LAVA SURFING?

I don't see it as a big deal compare to the Ewoks beat Imperial troops.

Edited by Slowpokeking

I did not dislike EP 3 but these are issues with it.

3) Grevious as an antagonist and Dooku's death in the first scene: A problem with the enirte trilogy, the main antagonist has no character development. We meet Dooku at the end of episoe 2, he dies in the first act of episode 3. Darth Maul has like 3 lines and then is killed.Grevious comes out of no place and also is killed. I realize palpatine is the main antagonist but we really needed a true bad guy, one that could experiiece some changes himself that could all come to a head by episode 3.

4) Anakins tun was bit rushed as well, I get the attack on windu, but to kill kids in the next scene. Idk maybe that is how far you fall in all of like 1 minute, but it felt rushed to me.

On 3, Palpatine is that enemy. You might not of felt that way but I did. Honestly, in terms of the movies, I feel his role was probably the only one that was well done. And Qui-Gon but he died in one episode. The others, Maul, Dooku, Grevious, they were all puppets. Even the two with the titles "Darth" in front of their names were never truly Dark Lords. They were pawns. Sidious doesn't have a real apprentice until Vader. So they lasted only as long as pawns should. That said, even in just a single chapter, the novelization of Ep. 3 manages to make Dooku one of the most interesting character in the whole PT.

On 4, again, the book does a much better job of explainign his fall. In the movie he seems like a cry baby who just up and decides "**** it" and joins the Sith. In the novel, it details all the pain and confusion and doubt and fear that caused him not to even really join the Sith but to free himself against the rest of the galaxy who he felt had all betrayed him. He even planned on killing Palpatine once he secured Padme's life. In fact, right down to the end, at that infamous "NOOO!' scene, in the book he's described to actually be trying to crush the force around him to kill Palpatine, but he's too weakened to do it, and once he realizes that, then and only then does he truly surrender his fate to the cradling shadow.

Seriously, read the book, it makes such a huge difference you'll start seeing the movie as simply a poorly adapted visual guide to the novels events. I can't keep endorsing this enough.

Edited by Doctoglethorpe

EP III is mostly viewed as the best one of PT, there were so much conflicts, deaths and touching moments. I will say it’s better than EP IV and VI.

The flaw is simple, it’s way too rushed to cover so many events. It started 3 years after EP II, near the end of the Clone Wars, so PT pretty much only showed us the beginning and the end of the Clone Wars, we weren‘t able to see many conflicts during the war without looking at EU.

The duel with Count Dooku is not bad, but could have been done much better. The novel did a much better job on this, it was very detailed, well explained, had several twists and showed Dooku’s characters nicely. However the death scene of Dooku was done much better in the movie, he didn’t beg for life like in the novel, just used his expression to show the pain of being betrayed. I heard it was Sir Christopher Lee‘s request, we have to thank him for that, with his great performance. Overall, like I said in EP II‘s review, Dooku deserves more screen time to let people really understand his character.

GG is another villain in EP III, he was a very powerful and deadly cyborg general in CW, a formidable opponent in other EU such as Labyrinth of Evil. In the movie he was shown much weaker and act like a coward, that’s not a big issue. His character is simpler than Maul and Dooku, but a little explanation of how did he become a cyborg and how did he become the general of CIS would be very good since he was shown as a very important figure of the CIS. PT had several villains, but only Palpatine really got the screen time he deserved in the movies.

Palpatine was perfect before he was “deformed”. His most outstanding scene is The Tragedy of Dart Plagueis the Wise. The acting and script are both fantastic. He used his charming tone to tell a mysterious tragic story of a legendary Sith Lord, who in truth was his master to lure Anakin to the Dark Side. Too bad the scene that he recorded his conversation with the Jedi Masters before the fight were deleted. after Palpatine was “deformed” the acting seems went over the top for a bit. Maybe because Lucas wanted to link him to the Emperor in OT. Overall, Palpatine is the best character PT portrayed. Even many PT haters admitted it. Ian showed us a cold, manipulative politician and Sith Lord with a charming, gentle and mild alter ego as disguise. This charming disguise actually made his Banite Sith true nature more insidious and terrifying. His Palpatine is also one of the coolest movie villains in recent years.

Hayden's performance improved significantly compared to EP II. In EP II he was a young padawan, in EP III he already became a husband and a hero of the war, but he was facing a very difficult situation. He showed Anakin’s panic, anger, doubt, and his struggle when he was in the center of the storm. The nightmare of Padmé's death haunted him, he tried to seek answer from Yoda and got nothing but those stupid “let things go” words again. At the same time he was forced to make a difficult choice between the Jedi Council and Palpatine. The Jedi wanted him to watch, and possible could ask him to go against Palpatine despite Palpatine had been a mentor and friend to him. Palpatine was keep telling him the problem of the Jedi, giving him hint to drop the Jedi way, even started to seduce him to the Dark Side. He befriended with both sides and didn‘t want to go against either of them. I disagree with TCW Anakin> PT Anakin, in TCW Anakin never met such difficult situation . So it’s really hard for him to remain calm. Eventually he chose to go tell the Jedi Council when he realized Palpatine is Sidious, but he later worried about the situation and eventually ran the office. Driven by fear to lose his loved ones forever, he helped Palpatine killed Mace Windu. Hayden performed very well, showed us the character’s struggle and fear, and finally made the big mistake due to these emotion. After his downfall, while I like the novel’s portrayal of a cruel Sith apprentice(In the novel he was making jokes with those CIS leaders during the massacre, and told Padme a good plan to overthrow Palpatine), the movie showed us a young man who went to the wrong path by fear and frustration, and he later regret, even cried for his wrongful actions. When he was facing Padme he wasn’t so confident, but was trying to let both her and himself accept the words he said. Hayden was excellent overall, if we have to talk about flaw, some lines’ delivery could be done better, his voice is not amazing, compare to Vader.

Also many people blame PT’s Anakin for not being what they had expected, I think it’s misunderstanding. Their expectation was based on what Obi Wan said in EP IV.

So that’s when Obi Wan lied to Luke about Vader killing his father which hurt his credibility, do not forget what he said about Vader next.

In fact, not only this, EP V and VI there mentioned Anakin a few times.

Yoda mentioned it, too.

Obi Wan told Luke in EP VI.

There Vader himself

These clearly showed Anakin was not some “perfect Jedi”, he was interested in power and had much anger. Not to say Anakin did not die, and to understand him we should look at Vader first. Dark Side usually does not brainwash and totally reshape a person, but expand the darkness in their heart to maximum. OT told us Anakin embraced the Dark Side willingly, there was darkness inside him before his turn. So I am very opposed to view Anakin and Vader as two separate people like Obi Wan and maybe other old Jedi, otherwise we would not be able to understand his fall. Of course, I think many people believe that because to them, Obi Wan is a great mentor and sage in OT, he would not make such mistake, even his lie was “truth from a specific view”.

Padmé was not that strong and independent compare to the first two movies, but she did get more character development since she was in the struggle to choose between her husband and all the good things, unlike Leia was totally kept out from the conflict of Luke and Vader‘s father and son conflict. It’s a pity that they deleted the scene of her meeting with those senators who later became important figures of the rebels. I have always felt that her death was the weakest part of EP III. She was a very strong and independent woman, the medical droid said she had no physical injury, she also had a glimmer of hope of Anakin and just gave birth to two children, who need her to take care of, and she just died due to “heartbreaking”, that really weakened her character a lot, even let Palpatine killer her with the Force would be better.

The Jedi Council also played a negative role in Anakin‘s downfall. The prequel might have many problems, but it showed the stubbornness, the problem of the old Jedi Order very well. The Order 66 scene is sad to see, but it‘s also the inevitable outcome of the old Jedi. In EP II and III, Yoda‘s words to Anakin were mostly inflexible crap and totally let Anakin lost the hope on follow the Jedi way to save his wife. They knew Anakin and Palpatine had good relationship but still push him to help them go against Palpatine. These all showed they just want all Jedi to put down and repressed feelings, they ignore personal feelings and just focus on the so-called Greater Good, eventually it lead to Anakin and their downfall. If we look at OT again after PT, we will understand better about why would Obi Wan and Yoda lied to Luke and still pushed him to kill Vader, and feel more uneasy and touching of Luke‘s choice at last. If Lucas could make the scene of Qui Gon Jinn’s conversation with Yoda about the old Jedi’s fall and Yoda‘s apology, it would be really great. I also think Qui Gon Jinn should definitely appear in the end of EP VI. Not because he rediscovered the technique of Force Ghost, but his way let the Jedi reborn in ruins. Luke never met Qui Gon, but got Qui Gon’s idea and saved himself, his father, the Jedi and the galaxy. It’s quite interesting to think about it. Thirty six years ago, when nobody(including Padme and Obi Wan) beside Shmi took Anakin as a big deal, when the Jedi Order refused to accept him. It was Qui Gon Jinn, a father figure to Anakin helped him get free and let the boy’s dream come true, made him a Jedi. Thirty six years later, when almost nobody in the galaxy, including the remaining Jedi thought there was good in Vader and thought he must fall, his son believed there was still good in him, finally reawakened the good in Anakin Skywalker and made him destroyed the evil, brought peace to the galaxy and balanced the Force, completed the circle and fulfilled his destiny.

A lot of people said that the prequel didn’t present Anakin and Obi Wan's friendship well. I think that the relationship between Anakin and Obi was done very accurate in PT. Obi Wan and Anakin stayed together for ten years and fought alongside each other. However, deep down they had completely different fundamental principle, safe to say both went too extreme. Obi Wan could do anything to achieve the end of the “greater good”, he had emotions but he could always put them behind, he’s a perfect old Jedi, but sadly the old Jedi are far from perfect. Anakin, could do anything to protect his loved ones, even if it was very wrong and immoral. So the two parted ways is inevitable. In the end of EP III, their conversation pretty much proved it well. Both the actors’ performance and the lines were amazing. Especially when Anakin said “If you are not with me, you are my enemy”, Obi Wan replied with “Only Sith deal in absolutes, ”, not realizing it was an absolute as well. If he said this to Dooku, Dooku surely would mock him with it. Anakin went too extreme and fall to the Dark Side. Obi Wan also went too extreme and kept his old Jedi discipline too much. After this battle, there is no friendship between the two anymore, we can see in OT, Vader killed Obi Wan without any hesitation, Obi Wan ignored Padme‘s last words and wanted Luke to kill Vader. PT handled their relationship well and fit OT, we should not just look at those lines of Obi Wan, but Vader. As the perfect old Jedi, Obi Wan judge people by absolutes, he failed to see the struggle and darkness in Anakin, just like he failed to see the good in Vader. That’s why he view Anakin and Vader as different individuals. However the fact proved he's wrong, Anakin's inner darkness lead him to his downfall, and because he once was a good man, he still had good in him, his good was awakened in the end. PT explained to us in details, he went to the Dark Side mainly because he was too afraid to lose his loved ones. There never was any character just called Vader, only Anakin Skywalker, who once turned to a Sith and was given that title, but redeemed himself in the end.

Most of EP III is great, the end is the most touching one in all Six. Padmé's funeral, Vader and the Emperor discuss the Death Star’s construction with Tarkin. Alderaan’s queen looked at Leia lovingly, Owen and Beru gave the same look to Luke when Obi Wan was walking away under the Twin Suns. Overall, EP III is at least as good as EP IV and EP VI, it could have been even better(maybe better than EP V) if it had three hours to tell the story, improve some lines and add those important scenes.

doesnt matter i still enjoy the prequels

That's one of the best dialogues in all 6 movies.

I don't see it as a big deal compare to the Ewoks beat Imperial troops.

I have to agree both points here

Also palpating does have awsome dialoge

I loved him in Jedi

One of the things I love about the prequels is More Palps

On 3, Palpatine is that enemy. You might not of felt that way but I did. Honestly, in terms of the movies, I feel his role was probably the only one that was well done. And Qui-Gon but he died in one episode. The others, Maul, Dooku, Grevious, they were all puppets. Even the two with the titles "Darth" in front of their names were never truly Dark Lords. They were pawns. Sidious doesn't have a real apprentice until Vader. So they lasted only as long as pawns should. That said, even in just a single chapter, the novelization of Ep. 3 manages to make Dooku one of the most interesting character in the whole PT.

On 4, again, the book does a much better job of explainign his fall. In the movie he seems like a cry baby who just up and decides "**** it" and joins the Sith. In the novel, it details all the pain and confusion and doubt and fear that caused him not to even really join the Sith but to free himself against the rest of the galaxy who he felt had all betrayed him. He even planned on killing Palpatine once he secured Padme's life. In fact, right down to the end, at that infamous "NOOO!' scene, in the book he's described to actually be trying to crush the force around him to kill Palpatine, but he's too weakened to do it, and once he realizes that, then and only then does he truly surrender his fate to the cradling shadow.

Seriously, read the book, it makes such a huge difference you'll start seeing the movie as simply a poorly adapted visual guide to the novels events. I can't keep endorsing this enough.

I agree with you that Palpatine is the main antagonist, but personally would have liked to see one of these apprentices last a bit longer. IMO this would have given their death more impact. For instance, had Dooku been around since the first episode and his character more developed, Anakin killing Dooku could have sent a stronger message to the audience that Anakin had essentially replaced Dooku. Actually, this could have been the turning point. for Anakin to the Darkside, Which, would make sense because in ROTJ you have a similar scene but Luke does not Kill vader and essentaily turns from the dark side.

Sounds like the book is a pretty good idea, so i will have to pick it up. I also enjoy clones war because its created more back strory for these characters.

Edited by kirorx

The novel Anakin is much darker, I mentioned it in the OP.