Rated Question?

Nickodemous

Although I normally avoid forum posts like the plague, i was interested in hearing the servers oppinion about when, exactly, is a good time for any guild to start getting serious about rated warzone competition.

My imp guild, for instance, Chaotic Pixels, has some very talented pvp'ers. We often debate though about whether or not to consistently enter the rated scene for several reasons:

1) we know we are not able to compete (yet) with the top rated guilds

2) we are not (yet) as organized

3) not interested in getting "farmed"

4) not hearing the $hit talking and negative comments that normally ensue after the fact

5) will consistently loosing affect our ability to recruit additional players that might help with better group make ups

With that being said, it is my oppinion that the only way to get better is to take our lumps and learn from the experiences. I would rather take ***** stompings and take something away from a match vs. not doing them at all. It is the only way we can figure out what pieces of the puzzle are needed to increase our success rate in the rateds and could certainly increase the speed in which many members could gear.

As far as the comments and crap talking, I think that is just a part of it. Does not bother me in the least and I don't give it much thought.

Anyways, like I said, just interested in hearing some oppinions.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The sad truth is that the rated scene is pretty dead at the moment. I don't want to sound full of myself, but it seems most of the newer teams to the scene dont want to queue because they dont want to get a spanking from us, and thats completely understandable. Because of that, none of the newer teams queue and so they never get to play each other from fear of getting us every time they get a game. I know that a lot of people would rather us not play so that everyone can get the experience and practice, but most of us in our guild only play the game to PVP. There really just isnt a simple answer to make it work.

There really just isnt a simple answer to make it work.

Sure there is. There are 7 days in a week. Those elite rated guilds pick one or two weekdays and a weekend day not to queue for Rated to allow the other teams a chance to queue and play one another. It's a simple matter of accommodating the others. If Uncensored, U.S., LD 50, QQ, Prime Defense, and the others agree on 3 days not to queue ranked, those days could be delegated for the rest. There you go, a reasonable and simple method to make it work.

PS: During those days, don't super queue into the normal warzones either! :D

Edited by Ghost_Spectre

Sure there is. There are 7 days in a week. Those elite rated guilds pick one or two weekdays and a weekend day not to queue for Rated to allow the other teams a chance to queue and play one another. It's a simple matter of accommodating the others. If Uncensored, U.S., LD 50, QQ, Prime Defense, and the others agree on 3 days not to queue ranked, those days could be delegated for the rest. There you go, a reasonable and simple method to make it work.

PS: During those days, don't super queue into the normal warzones either! :D

You are under the impression that all those guild are still playing. That's not the case anymore. Uncensored is, for the most part, the only guild that queues on a consistant basis. I havent seen QQ in months, LD might play once a week, PD is about the same, and Unicorn Stampeed doesnt really play at all. What you are asking is for our guild to not play the game for 2 or 3 days a week to accomodate you. Thats not reasonable or simple at all.

Edited by SuarezCarrol

You are under the impression that all those guild are still playing. That's not the case anymore. Uncensored is, for the most part, the only guild that queues on a consistant basis. I havent seen QQ in months, LD might play once a week, PD is about the same, and Unicorn Stampeed doesnt really play at all. What you are asking is for our guild to not play the game for 2 or 3 days a week to accomodate you. Thats not reasonable or simple at all.

It's not? So, you're alright with sitting there week in and week out waiting to fight in rated and no one is there to fight you because the other guilds either don't play, limit play, or don't want to face you? Asking for your guild to limit themselves to 2 or 3 days of the week not to queue for rated for the other guilds to have the time to get up to speed is unreasonable? I don't think so. However, if your guild refuses to help the other guilds get up to speed by facing each other without Uncensored being involved, then I guess you guys are going to be waiting a long time to battle anyone.

So we can either not play because people dont want to play us or we can not play because there is no one to play. Honestly, its a little late in the game to be "getting up to speed". You are mistaking what i said for complaining about it. I'm not complaining, just telling it like it is. The ranked scene is dead and everyone wants a free pass to get better. With the PTS being out and the expansion looming, I dont expect it to be booming, thats not how MMOs work.. I'm not real sure why you are trying to pick a fight over it. I'm simply answering his question as best and honestly as I can. Edited by SuarezCarrol

So we can either not play because people dont want to play us or we can not play because there is no one to play. Honestly, its a little late in the game to be "getting up to speed". You are mistaking what i said for complaining about it. I'm not complaining, just telling it like it is. The ranked scene is dead and everyone wants a free pass to get better. With the PTS being out and the expansion looming, I dont expect it to be booming, thats not how MMOs work.. I'm not real sure why you are trying to pick a fight over it. I'm simply answering his question as best and honestly as I can.

hey. you're the ones who killed kick ball. it is what it is. I have to deal with not getting into any 8m premades. you get to live with stalking around for the rare bird to q.

The only way that I could see Prime Defense queuing less.... is by never queuing at all :rolleyes: I wouldn't necessarily describe us a a super serious rateds guild. It may be because aside from the +10 ePeen pointz that you gain from beating people that shout at you in /say or attempt to forum warrior you to death, there isn't much incentive to queue for ranked, or it may be because when we're playing with some friends, we have a good time regardless of whether we're doing ranked or regs.

That being said, the people who tell you that the only way to get better is to queue up against them are just being stupid. You do get better from losing, but not from being blown out of the water. If you lose by a little, the one or two mistakes that cost you become clear, but if you get stomped, you won't even know where to begin to start. Saying that fresh teams should fight the best is kinda like saying random people should learn to fight by dueling vets. For example, after a couple duels, Caprica (no insult to him, he's an awesome dude) stopped dueling me all together because he wasn't coming close on his sent. He is in no way bad, but when you lose badly, you get discouraged. So no, contrarty to popular elitist belief, the best way to get stomped so the enemies' ratings can go from 2167 to 2169 :p

The only way that I could see Prime Defense queuing less.... is by never queuing at all :rolleyes: I wouldn't necessarily describe us a a super serious rateds guild. It may be because aside from the +10 ePeen pointz that you gain from beating people that shout at you in /say or attempt to forum warrior you to death, there isn't much incentive to queue for ranked, or it may be because when we're playing with some friends, we have a good time regardless of whether we're doing ranked or regs.

That being said, the people who tell you that the only way to get better is to queue up against them are just being stupid. You do get better from losing, but not from being blown out of the water. If you lose by a little, the one or two mistakes that cost you become clear, but if you get stomped, you won't even know where to begin to start. Saying that fresh teams should fight the best is kinda like saying random people should learn to fight by dueling vets. For example, after a couple duels, Caprica (no insult to him, he's an awesome dude) stopped dueling me all together because he wasn't coming close on his sent. He is in no way bad, but when you lose badly, you get discouraged. So no, contrarty to popular elitist belief, the best way to get stomped so the enemies' ratings can go from 2167 to 2169 :p

^^^^^

Wait, what?

Ranked scene has been dead since the last server merger many months ago. The only reason why anyone plays is to shoot the **** and have fun. Hopefully, 2.0 will revive some ranked interest even if it only lasts for a little while.

The only way ranked can become truly competitive is by opening cross server imo. Even that is up in the air as a good portion of the good pvpers and pvp guilds have moved on to better and more rewarding pvp games.

Edited by Utopii

1) we know we are not able to compete (yet) with the top rated guilds

2) we are not (yet) as organized

3) not interested in getting "farmed"

4) not hearing the $hit talking and negative comments that normally ensue after the fact

Those 4 points are all connected to each other.

You will stop getting farmed the moment you stop being unorganized and the moment you stop being so you will be able to compete with top guild. What is left after is working on individual skill to improve their DPS and HPS.

If you succced at that No.4 shouldn't even be a problem since top tier guild should recognize that you guys are serious, if top tier guild still trash talk you guys, don't worry about it, they're just straight ***.

Ranked scene has been dead since the last server merger many months ago. The only reason why anyone plays is to shoot the **** and have fun. Hopefully, 2.0 will revive some ranked interest even if it only lasts for a little while.

The only way ranked can become truly competitive is by opening cross server imo. Even that is up in the air as a good portion of the good pvpers and pvp guilds have moved on to better and more rewarding pvp games.

As much as I agree with you on the xserver factor, we also have to mention that some players just left out their guild high and dry, coming back on their horse trying to be savior, hopefully you can deliver.

Yeah i just did it, i just turned away that post into an epeen contest.

Those 4 points are all connected to each other.

You will stop getting farmed the moment you stop being unorganized and the moment you stop being so you will be able to compete with top guild. What is left after is working on individual skill to improve their DPS and HPS.

If you succced at that No.4 shouldn't even be a problem since top tier guild should recognize that you guys are serious, if top tier guild still trash talk you guys, don't worry about it, they're just straight ***.

I could not agree more!

Also, i should point out that this post was not intended to blast those guilds that are successful in the rateds. It is my oppinion that they have every right to queue as often as they want, whenever they want. It is the responsibility of the other guilds, trying to get to that level, to figure out various ways to improve to be able to compete.

As far as the whole ***** stomping situation, I agree that it hurts the pride. Especially for those of us who know what needs to be done in a rated. For instance, the other night, Chaotic Pixels queued 4 times and got faced rolled by my pub guild....Prime Defense. The reason they were so dominant was because we had brought along 3 guildies who had never stepped foot in a rated. They played the matches as if they were normal wz's. Although they are very good up and comers, the experience opened the vets eyes about group consistency and the new comers eyes to what they had to do to improve. On the flip side, the vets got a little upset.

Ultimately it was this experience that spawned the conversatioin about should we or should we not queue.

I think the experience for them was invaluable for the new guys. Already they are reevaluating specs, gear, and watching vids.

Hence, why my oppinion still remains to just F'it and roll on in. Only way to improve.

Sorry about that btw, Barbie started putting a group together and then was told that Uncensored was probably gonna queue so she tried to make it so that we wouldn't get stomped, but we didn't bring along everyone we had. Her version of that: No Tazz, Rezikj, or Decimate :p Also, she grabbed 1 person that we had not done ranked with before, as well as a person who we infrequently did it with. If you want to hop in TS, I can always go over some strats for each wz based on what comp you have. I'll already be talking anyway, now it will just be directed towards something useful. Edited by Carter_Mathis

No need to appologize vas! Candi and the rest of em were a well oiled machine!

I will take u up on that! Interested in hearIng some strats!

Th wz I remember the most was hypergate. Melee walled the entrance, ranged camped either side, heals in back! Any attempt to focus one of heals was met with an imidiate response! Was interesting to observe!

Hey, Ty! What's up? If you're ever throwing a team together and think to yourself, "Self, I need a bubble-stun DPS sorc on my rated team," hit me up. :rak_03: As it is lately, not many in VM are queuing for regulars, let alone rated, so I'd be glad to freelance at the moment. I have an Operative healer, too, but she's not very geared. I'm trying to save up comms on both toons until the expansion comes out so I can get a gear head start.

Anyhow, good to see ya on the forums!

Heads up for anyone thats interested I will be putting together a group of unicorns hopefully on friday night around 8ish *crosses fingers*. This being said, uncensored and ld-50 are welcome to que against us....most likely though we will be taking on people to help them improve in pvp. I am trying to play as much as possible but it is hard trying to fit in peoples schedules sadly :(. Especially mine.

Heads up for anyone thats interested I will be putting together a group of unicorns hopefully on friday night around 8ish *crosses fingers*. This being said, uncensored and ld-50 are welcome to que against us....most likely though we will be taking on people to help them improve in pvp. I am trying to play as much as possible but it is hard trying to fit in peoples schedules sadly :(. Especially mine.

How late do you guys usually run? I usually get some later hours on Fridays (after 10:30 or so EST).

No need to appologize vas! Candi and the rest of em were a well oiled machine!

I will take u up on that! Interested in hearIng some strats!

Th wz I remember the most was hypergate. Melee walled the entrance, ranged camped either side, heals in back! Any attempt to focus one of heals was met with an imidiate response! Was interesting to observe!

Sorry to Chaotic Pixels! We randomly do ranked if everyone is on and not raiding. Usually we try to do Saturday nights but its hard when not everyone is on. Wen we found out Uncensored was going to que I tried to make a decent core group but we really did not have the ideal comp. we beat Uncensored one game then lost one to them too. It's fun going against Uncensored cause of practice. But you guys have the players just need organization which we noticed that you guys needed. Yeah go in TS and I can also help the healers too:) I may not be the best sage healer but I can try and give tips! I will be on after 8 tonight:)

hey. you're the ones who killed kick ball. it is what it is. I have to deal with not getting into any 8m premades. you get to live with stalking around for the rare bird to q.

Correction: Combatmedicjr killed kickball.

Uncensored tried to accomodate it. We tried to work out a schedule so that we either a) would not queue as a full guild on those designated nights or b) on nights where we would queue as a guild, we would hold off on queueing until after 10pm so kickball would have a 2 hour headstart before we jumped in the pool. Nothing was stopping you guys from taking all that pool of talented PvP players and making a super-team if you thought Uncensored was too difficult to beat. Also, nothing was stopping anyone from kickball from asking myself or any other officer in Uncensored what nights were designated for kickball and which were not. So when we received no answer, we queued when we had the people available. We even respected the two hour head-start until LD50 started queuing a full team again.

(What we have here is a failure to communicate)

With that out of the way, I know I personally have no problems with there being designated nights for developing teams. You do learn from playing better teams, but not from being blown out. I'm sure something can be worked out that everyone can agree on.

Edited by SpaniardInfinity

Hmm PD might form Friday or Saturday depending who is on! :)

Correction: Combatmedicjr killed kickball.

Uncensored tried to accomodate it. We tried to work out a schedule so that we either a) would not queue as a full guild on those designated nights or b) on nights where we would queue as a guild, we would hold off on queueing until after 10pm so kickball would have a 2 hour headstart before we jumped in the pool. And we did that for a month. Nothing was stopping you guys from taking all that pool of talented PvP players and making a super-team if you thought Uncensored was too difficult to beat. Also, nothing was stopping anyone from kickball from asking myself or any other officer in Uncensored what nights were designated for kickball and which were not.

(What we have here is a failure to communicate)

With that out of the way, I know I personally have no problems with there being designated nights for developing teams. You do learn from playing better teams, but not from being blown out. I'm sure something can be worked out that everyone can agree on.

I don't feel like reading this, and I didn't even attempt to read the novel that the poster above you wrote. But didn't Jinx post a thread in the forums saying "Uncensored is going to queue every night, and you kickballers can either accommodate or get ready to be plowed by our marauders duel-wielding plows. Farm time commence!"? In all fairness, the part after the comma was more the gist of the thread after Jinkx made that post and of pubpvp chat every time uncensored would get dissatisfied with their team and group up, but I think the point was still appropriate.

And Barbie, i'm gonna either be driving to tampa or at Universal later on friday/saturday, so you guys would probably need Phyneas or Dargh as meat shields.

Yes, he did make that post. After a month of having absolutely zero communication between our guild and the kickball teams.

I'll summarize as my post with a quote from that post you didn't want to read:

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

Now then -- off to watch the Islanders lose!

Edited by SpaniardInfinity