Fed up with daily/weekly Limits and caps

Jahosefat

I just learned about this. I think its moronic.

Example: If I want to get a PVP group going with my guildies on a Monday there will be a good chance they've all reached their caps and some will just decide they'd rather do something else.

There will be no cap on Warzone commendations, ranked or otherwise. This has been confirmed, search the DevTracker.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Game with caps, raid locks, limits, etc:

"Damn you MMO Devs! I can't grind like a monkey on crystal meth and get everything I want in double quick time. Let me do more stuff! This endgame sucks!"

Game without caps, raid locks, limits, etc

"Damn you MMO Devs! I ground like a monkey on crystal meth and now I've run out of things to do. Make me more stuff to do! This endgame sucks!"

This is because so people find griding to be THE CONTENT.

To this is weird.

I grind out my PvP Gear so I can PvP. Personally I enjoy playing the game for the game itself, not just for the gear.

Putting a limit on how fast i can obtian gear is just a cheap way to keep me grinding.

I just learned about this. I think its moronic.

Example: If I want to get a PVP group going with my guildies on a Monday there will be a good chance they've all reached their caps and some will just decide they'd rather do something else.

PvP comms don't have weekly limits, at least for now. But it's pretty likely that situation you describe will occur for dalies or random group finder, low level ops, etc. Heck, it might be hard to find group for heroic quest on Tatooine on Sunday because people won't be able to earn comms anymore.

Game with caps, raid locks, limits, etc:

"Damn you MMO Devs! I can't grind like a monkey on crystal meth and get everything I want in double quick time. Let me do more stuff! This endgame sucks!"

Game without caps, raid locks, limits, etc

"Damn you MMO Devs! I ground like a monkey on crystal meth and now I've run out of things to do. Make me more stuff to do! This endgame sucks!"

Grindmonkeys will still grind. Only difference is that they will run out of content in few days instead of few weeks.

Grindmonkeys will still grind. Only difference is that they will run out of content in few days instead of few weeks.

A very good point.

If there is a cap, the people need rewards to play (i.e: grind monkeys) will play untill the cap and then take the rest of the week off.

This could affect guilds doing missions, que times and overall population.

Tuesday will be busy by sunday it will be slowed.

Just call it what it is: a cheap lame brained ploy to keep players grinding content for as long as possible. Yes, if you plan accordingly, you can avoid hurdles. But can I be frank? This is a video game! You shouldn't have to plan out how to get through 13 planets (12 if you skip Illum).

To drag that out as long as possible just won't work. Period. SOE attempted this in DC Universe Online, and they got back lash. For EA/BioWare to think they won't get the same response is just plain entertaining. I wish them the best of luck, but I don't seem them fairing better than the response their competition got.

In the end, the community responded. Not by logging in to post/vent on the forums, but by not logging into the game. Which is why a response here on the forums isn't necessary: there's more than one way to get your point across.

Weekly caps are supposed to HELP casual players.

Instead of having to log in every single day to meet the daily cap, you can log in any day of the week and meet the weekly cap instead. You can choose to do the bulk of your rep on your free days, like weekends.

An example would be the daily dungeon valor points (forgot the term) from WoW. It used to be you have to do a heroic dungeon every single day to get your valor points. Then they changed it to a weekly cap on valor points where you can do the 7 heroic dungeons any day of the week, before the weekly cap resets.

Now it doesn't work that way of course, but the idea of weekly caps is to help the casual players.

If there was no cap, everyone who can play more than you, will be light years ahead of you because they can grind more than you.

But because there is a weekly cap, they cannot get too far ahead of you because of the weekly throttle. You won't be too far behind thanks to this cap.

Of course the weekly cap isn't like this currently, and could be done better.

QFT

It isn't any deeper or more mysterious than this. I'm guessing the OP plays or has the time to play 15 hours a day. Most people don't have that kind of time and 'gating' is simply the way SWTOR (and every other MMO yet conceived) keeps casual players in touch with those that have unlimited playtime. Like or hate it, nobody has come up with a better idea on how to handle it. Even the great WoW uses 'gating' extensively.

Just call it what it is: a cheap lame brained ploy to keep players grinding content for as long as possible. Yes, if you plan accordingly, you can avoid hurdles. But can I be frank? This is a video game! You shouldn't have to plan out how to get through 13 planets (12 if you skip Illum).

To drag that out as long as possible just won't work. Period. SOE attempted this in DC Universe Online, and they got back lash. For EA/BioWare to think they won't get the same response is just plain entertaining. I wish them the best of luck, but I don't seem them fairing better than the response their competition got.

In the end, the community responded. Not by logging in to post/vent on the forums, but by not logging into the game. Which is why a response here on the forums isn't necessary: there's more than one way to get your point across.

Your post suggests that you think EA/BW are aware of what the competition is doing and what has worked and failed for them.

The history of SWTOR suggests that this is not true.

QFT

It isn't any deeper or more mysterious than this. I'm guessing the OP plays or has the time to play 15 hours a day. Most people don't have that kind of time and 'gating' is simply the way SWTOR (and every other MMO yet conceived) keeps casual players in touch with those that have unlimited playtime. Like or hate it, nobody has come up with a better idea on how to handle it. Even the great WoW uses 'gating' extensively.

I think they also serve as a "sanity cap."

Some people will keep on pulling the lever on the ol' Skinner box until they waste away from Mountain Dew withdrawals. By informing them that the pellet mechanism has been disabled until next week, it tells them to go pull a different lever, maybe even go outside and verify the continued existence of the sun.

I think they also serve as a "sanity cap."

Some people will keep on pulling the lever on the ol' Skinner box until they waste away from Mountain Dew withdrawals. By informing them that the pellet mechanism has been disabled until next week, it tells them to go pull a different lever, maybe even go outside and verify the continued existence of the sun.

Lol, good point.

Absent any rewards, your guildmates would rather do something else. The reward structure is artificially motivating them to engage in a mode of gameplay that is clearly (as evidenced by their choice to not PvP without reward) not their optimal entertainment choice.

If you ask yourself "why am I engaging in this game activity" and the answer is not "because I enjoy it," then you might want to step back and reevaluate your gaming decisions.

This.

Also, if one's guildmates won't help one without some form of reward, perhaps one is in the wrong guild.

I agree with the OP , I like to have freedom to do what I want to do and when I want to do it. 100 planetary comms max and 50 per week limit is not the way to go. I understand that because you can spend your low / starter planet comms on the next planet makes things a lot easier in game and you have to balance this out with limits but the leveling experience isn't end game and shouldn't be treated that way. By the way I'm not talking for myself here but for others as I have enough comms to kit out my final 3-5 characters for almost the rest of their leveling through 1-50. It will put people off the game. They need to increase those caps and also tell us what will happen to all our planetary comms above this meager 100 maximum limit.

What I want to know is does the account wide cargo hold bay costing just over 1000 CC work ? I have many things to send to many characters before 2.0. Especially if the above isn't sorted out soon.

The BH/daily limits aren't half as bad though , they have even said they think you can store 800 comms when 2.0 hits , so no big deal there really and 400 max and 200 per week per character is fine.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

What I want to know is does the account wide cargo hold bay costing just over 1000 CC work ? I have many things to send to many characters before 2.0. Especially if the above isn't sorted out soon.

It isn't an account wide cargo bay. It is an account wide unlock of one extra cargo bay.

If you pay the extra, every current and future character has one extra bay, assuming they didn't already have 5.

They are not linked.

I honestly don't see why everyone is so upset over this, it's not like caps and gating weren't already in game before. A weekly cap you can see, is no different then being limited in the number of raids you can run or dailies / weeklies quests. This will also help casual players / guilds, if they have more then one option to reach the cap. Unlike the handful of guilds that can max out there comms because they can clear all the new content on the first night.

It's a relatively new system in place now, that drops tokens and commendations like rain from the sky.

So I created a new alt, he's level 14 now, still have a chunk of Dromund Kaas left. So far I have earned more than 30 comms. In two days, because I didn't play that much. So if 2.0 would be live I would hit the weekly plantary cap in 3 days and then.. what? Should I go on leveling without being able to get gear and having to buy it off the AH? That's ********. If I want to level a twink a whole week I don't want to be stopped by some stupid weekly cap. But that's what's gonna happen. I'm not gonna spend money to get him new gear. And I'm not gonna attempt to do quests on a planet with gear that should have been changed 10 levels ago. I will just stop leveling and maybe I won't even want to come back next week because this system is total crap. I'm very unhappy about this.

Here's an alternate thought:

What if the max/weekly caps in the test server will ONLY be placed on the F2P/Fremium players?

Think about it. It's on the test center, they are testing the caps. Perhaps when everything is live subscribers will not have a weekly cap and will have an increased max cap. Subscriber's currently have higher commendation caps than F2P or Freemium if I recall.

Just remember, nothing from the PTS patch notes is actually set in stone. They could just be testing out mechanics that will only affect F2P/Freemium players. Or setting things intentionally low so that people can actually reach those limits within the few weeks of testing.

I'm postponing judgement until 2.0 goes live. That said, IF the low max caps (and especially weekly caps) remain for subscribers after 2.0 goes live, I'll be a bit upset. Not going to fret about it now though.

Edited by Jaing

I honestly don't see why everyone is so upset over this, it's not like caps and gating weren't already in game before. A weekly cap you can see, is no different then being limited in the number of raids you can run or dailies / weeklies quests. This will also help casual players / guilds, if they have more then one option to reach the cap. Unlike the handful of guilds that can max out there comms because they can clear all the new content on the first night.

It's a relatively new system in place now, that drops tokens and commendations like rain from the sky.

It's entirely different. Right now you're only limited by avaible activities. It means if there is something you can do, you cal also get something out of it. With weekly limits, once you hit cap nothing you do will matter. It's friday, so since you were doing dalies for last 3 days, until next tuesday you'll be getting only half of rewards(no comms). You already ran some ops and group finder, nor rest of this week your group finder will give you nothing.

It doesn't help 'casuals' in any way, other than maybe with some envy. People putting less effort will achieve things later than those willing to put in more, this essentially wont change. Crafting, getting gear on alts and transfering mods, whatever, there will always be 'better' players.

Yup, I find them irritating while I play, but when I go for a week or two without logging I like the concept ;).

- Arcada

I don't really think "being liked by people that don't play" is quality of good concept.

It isn't an account wide cargo bay. It is an account wide unlock of one extra cargo bay.

If you pay the extra, every current and future character has one extra bay, assuming they didn't already have 5.

They are not linked.

Ah I worded it incorrectly , but the point is as you have replied it does indeed work as intended ? Sorry this is a little OT but is related , I now have something worth while to spend some of my stipend on :) Thanks.

OT though the poster talking about it could just be a cap for F2P or preferred players could be true and crossed my mind also.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Summary:

1. Help casual people to catch up

2. Stop people to consume content too fast and whine about boredom

3. Making people to check if the Sun is still shining

All valid reasons for putting caps on comms, I support it fully. Thinking differently would be very selfish....

Summary:

1. Help casual people to catch up

2. Stop people to consume content too fast and whine about boredom

3. Making people to check if the Sun is still shining

All valid reasons for putting caps on comms, I support it fully. Thinking differently would be very selfish....

They won't catch me up and I think differently. That doesn't make me selfish at all , if I were to agree with the new system then that would be selfish of me as I have enough comms on planets on about 15 characters to start an army of characters.

Look at it this way if someone has 5 characters doing daily's then they can get 200 x 5 for the week , but a casual gamer with less characters would not be able to get that many.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

They won't catch me up and I think differently. That doesn't make me selfish at all , if I were to agree with the new system then that would be selfish of me as I have enough comms on planets on about 15 characters to start an army of characters.

Look at it this way if someone has 5 characters doing daily's then they can get 200 x 5 for the week , but a casual gamer with less characters would not be able to get that many.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

Make yourself a cup of coffee, sit down and think again.

Make yourself a cup of coffee, sit down and think again.

I don't like coffee but if my thoughts are completely wrong then i apologise. I want what's best for all of SWTOR's players. You do realise that with that 50 weekly cap then you will be forced to play without comms on that character or forced to make an alt right ? What if they are F2P ? Even the casual F2P'er will be done after about 5 days on their 2 characters , just a thought for you coffee drinkers.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

By insisting on viewing this through the selfish angle of what you want, you are missing the larger point.

Absent any rewards, your guildmates would rather do something else. The reward structure is artificially motivating them to engage in a mode of gameplay that is clearly (as evidenced by their choice to not PvP without reward) not their optimal entertainment choice.

If you ask yourself "why am I engaging in this game activity" and the answer is not "because I enjoy it," then you might want to step back and reevaluate your gaming decisions.

In this type of game where you are doing the same content over and over again it really helps to have additional motivation to continue. Also, I would think keeping people playing for any reason would help others out because it means more availablility of other people to play with.

Also, greed is not artificial...it is a very powerful motive for many things in life and very true to human nature.