The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So 3/21/22 is the new 2.0 pyro spec?

FinalFortune

I don't think it will be particularly effective over full AP or full Pyro to be honest. With the armor penetration nerf Railshot won't hit as hard as it currently does, and yes you'll be able to railshot a lot more frequently, but you give up talented attacks (Immolate, Prototype FT, TD) that on their own do about as much damage as the extra railshot you get and you give up some significantly useful talents.

With all the amazing high up talents, the only "hybrid" I see being viable is 7/36/3 so basically full AP but using CGC with 3 points in the 100% flameburst proc talent.

Possibly also viable (in PvP that is) is a Shieldtech/Pyro hybrid using CGC and going as high into Shieldtech to get 1 point into Flame Engine (you will have to waste 3 points in ion cell dependent talents), with the rest in Pyrotech for the railshot reset, but that remains to be seen.

Edited by LordExozone

I don't think it will be particularly effective over full AP or full Pyro to be honest. With the armor penetration nerf Railshot won't hit as hard as it currently does, and yes you'll be able to railshot a lot more frequently, but you give up talented attacks (Immolate, Prototype FT, TD) that on their own do about as much damage as the extra railshot you get and you give up some significantly useful talents.

"Armor penetration nerf"? You mean the 145% armor penetration it gets from the combination of superheated rail (100%) and puncture (45%)?

And it's not "a" extra railshot, it's a CGC dot (that gets refreshed most GCDs and hits again every time it does) and MANY extra railshots.

What is the CD on retractable blade though? That in combination with the 25% proc chance should mean that most railshots won't be auto crits anyway, and out of those that do, ~30-35% or so would have critted anyway.

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure the small amount of auto crits will be worth it.

"Armor penetration nerf"? You mean the 145% armor penetration it gets from the combination of superheated rail (100%) and puncture (45%)?

And it's not "a" extra railshot, it's a CGC dot (that gets refreshed most GCDs and hits again every time it does) and MANY extra railshots.

What is the CD on retractable blade though? That in combination with the 25% proc chance should mean that most railshots won't be auto crits anyway, and out of those that do, ~30-35% or so would have critted anyway.

It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure the small amount of auto crits will be worth it.

The Superheated Rail talent in the tree gives 30% armor penetration in 2.0, not 100%. The 100% you are seeing in the new talent tree builder is supposed to be for the chance that railshot vents 8 heat when it hits a burning target.

As the poster above me replied, please do not base your observations on the 2.0 talent builder as it is still riddled with bugs. You get on average 2 extra railshots in the same window where you'd be able to use 1 thermal detonator or immolate. Though that extra bonus railshot takes the place of a flameburst so it's not a say 3-4k bonus over 18 seconds but more like 1.5-2k. I believe that the high up talents that you have to sacrifice provide more dps.

No cooldown, and every dot tick has a chance to proc it. In practice it procs quite often, but not often enough to get every railshot to be a crit. Many are the times where it procs right after you shoot your procced railshot which is annoying.

I stumbled across this thread by accident, and I'm not actually a powertech player. But this spec seemed fun, so I went ahead and tried it.

Since the link didn't work for me, though, I only had this idea of "middle and right tree, kk" in my head. It didn't work out - meaning I failed to spec as proposed. I ended up speccing 0/23/23, picking up both Prototype Flamethrower and Charged Gauntlets, and going up Pyrotech till Firebug and putting one point into Rain of Fire.

So abilities used were basically Flame Burst, Rocket Punch, Rail Shot, Retractable Blade and Flamethrower (with 3 stacks of PFT). Yielded between 2250 and 2300 dps for me on the lvl 55 operations dummy on the fleet. Non-augmented stock arkanian dps gear, no relics, no stims, no consumables, all class buffs. Now this was the first time I played a powertech at max level (on live, he's only level 30), so I was unfamiliar with cooldown usage, general rotation, heat management etc. and my ping to the PTS isn't too great, so experienced players are probably able to squeeze a lot more out of it.

Don't know how other specs parse, but that one is pretty fun. Oh, and since Flamethrower is responsible for about 20% of the damage, and you can put Retractable Blade on multiple targets, it should get even better with more enemies.

As far as PVP goes...I don't think this is going to work as well as we'd like. Adding gut/retractable blades to the rotation is going to slow down the burst and create ammo issues.

No PVP build should skip thermal detonator, so yeah, it would be for PVE.

21/25 build + stacking power is putting up some very impressive numbers on the pts atm, more than pure pyrotech.

This is the PTS thread that has some parsers if anyone is interested - http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=602752

Still don't know see any link to the build anywhere. something like this?

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/powertech/231/?build=000000000000000000000000000000000223120220100212001000000000000003200322021002120230000000000000&ver=20

And what would the priority list be? I'm seeing unload in some of these parses.

Right now on live you can spec into the auto-crit Rail Shot in AP, as well as have a functional enough Pyro tree. One of my guildmates loves searching for hybrid specs everytime he dings a new class to 50 and was asking my help to test its viability. In short, on live it's several hundred DPS lower due to the fact you miss a lot of passive but significant damage buffs in the pyro tree, and that's no where near offset with the auto-crit talent. In fact, working Explosive Fuel into my rotation on live I can crit 50% of my railshots on a 2100+ parse for 5 minutes with 28 points in Pyro. Another guy on my server who has the PVP set bonus crits 75% of his railshots for 2200+ parses. Now, why does this matter? Because trying the hybrid build on live I only increased my crit percentage on railshot to just under 70%. With railshot proccing with a higher percentage (45/60%) than the Retractable Blade damage (25%), you simply don't gain the auto-crit proc fast enough to warrant losing many other talents.

Still don't know see any link to the build anywhere. something like this?

http://pts.swtor-spy.com/skill-tree-calculator/powertech/231/?build=000000000000000000000000000000000223120220100212001000000000000003200322021002120230000000000000&ver=20

And what would the priority list be? I'm seeing unload in some of these parses.

Yes, you could also try swapping Rain of Fire for Steely Resolve (9% aim) and see what that did.

I have yet to test it myself, in the process of getting power augments to the pts so I can go full power with the 21/25 build, not sure of rotation or why they're using unload atm.

Right now on live you can spec into the auto-crit Rail Shot in AP, as well as have a functional enough Pyro tree. One of my guildmates loves searching for hybrid specs everytime he dings a new class to 50 and was asking my help to test its viability. In short, on live it's several hundred DPS lower due to the fact you miss a lot of passive but significant damage buffs in the pyro tree, and that's no where near offset with the auto-crit talent. In fact, working Explosive Fuel into my rotation on live I can crit 50% of my railshots on a 2100+ parse for 5 minutes with 28 points in Pyro. Another guy on my server who has the PVP set bonus crits 75% of his railshots for 2200+ parses. Now, why does this matter? Because trying the hybrid build on live I only increased my crit percentage on railshot to just under 70%. With railshot proccing with a higher percentage (45/60%) than the Retractable Blade damage (25%), you simply don't gain the auto-crit proc fast enough to warrant losing many other talents.

Well, then you're simply doing it wrong. I just tried this on the PTS, and over the course of a 11 minute test I only missed 2 railshot crits (97.73 railshot crit rate), and that's the first time ever that I put more than 8 points in the AP tree.

The dot from retractable blade combined with actually attacking with retractable blade and rocket punch meant a ton of chances to proc it, and you don't HAVE to railshot as soon as PPA procs - you have a 6 second window before you can proc it again, so if you don't have a CG proc up at the time, just do 1-2 other attacks (flame burst/RP/RpS depending on heat and CD, or retractable blade if the dot need to be renewed) and you'll usually have a proc up after that, but if not just RS anyway and hope for the best. A few times I even had the dot proc CG after pressing RS, but before it actually hits which still resulted in an auto crit.

The hybrid build used to not be viable, but now with 5 extra talent points you can pick up rain of fire or steely resolve and firebug, and those really are key talents for the build - when it's based on an auto crit attack, getting a 30% surge bonus for that (and IM+CGC, but those are much less important) attack is HUGE. That's an extra 28% damage from railshots (with every RS doing 123% more damage than the base attack, instead of just 75%). I'm really loving this spec.

0/23/23 looks interesting too though, will have to give that a spin later, but want to get the rotation for 21/25 down properly first.

Edited by steave

you don't HAVE to railshot as soon as PPA procs - you have a 6 second window before you can proc it again, so if you don't have a CG proc up at the time, just do 1-2 other attacks (flame burst/RP/RpS depending on heat and CD, or retractable blade if the dot need to be renewed).

This did not occur to me. Though waiting to Rail Shot means you have less time to proc the auto-crit before your next Rail Shot. Neither did the fact that a 35% buffed base crit chance on live is turning into about a 20% crit chance on the PTS. I still have my doubts, but I'll be interested in seeing them proven wrong. Stupid PT is the only character I have that hasn't transferred over to the PTS, or has been given the time to run through Hutta.