2.0 = $10 well spent!

MrSchmo

Good points, though you actually forgot to add one other important aspect as well:

Players of F2P or Freemium games are used to spending small amounts of money regularly. Many of these players would actually not want to buy a full priced $60 expansion on a game they usually spend $15-$20 a month on. So, a developer actually risks pushing those players away by asking a full $60 for an expansion.

Emotionally, as has been posted by so many others, spending $10 is something almost everyone can miss in their monthly budget. A spending of $60 already has a lot of people considering if they should or should not spend that money.

That never stopped WoW. Then again, this isn't WoW. Good point. ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This logic is so faulty on so many levels.

OK, first off, the original team and probably management screwed up HARD. So hard that this game went F2P quicker than any subscription based game in history. That means it lost a lot of players and a lot of revenue.

Now being in the position they were in, they made the decision (rightly or wrongly) to completely change their revenue model and go F2P. A lot of people, myself included, gave EA a lot of grief over this decision. A lot of us expected them to focus almost entirely on cash shop stuff, and definitely to the detriment of any other content, especially stuff that was complicated and effort intense like endgame stuff.

But they did what they had to do to make the game SURVIVE. They couldn't have supported a huge team on the revenues they had. Yes, they screwed up, but every day requires day-forward thinking. How do we make it better from here? So yeah, smaller team.

Now, several months into F2P, I can say I was wrong, happily, about how they're applying their staff. Yes, they're putting effort into cash shop, and that seems reasonable since that's a revenue stream.

But the kicker is that they're also investing quite significantly in new content. The Gree event is an example. 2.0 is a HUGE example. Everything they've got there takes a lot of work. A lot of people. A lot of hours. A lot of money. And they're selling it for a measly $10.

If you want monstrous expansions, you're probably playing the wrong game. This game doesn't currently have the player-base (meaning revenue base) to produce massive expansions.

However, the team has shown now, at least IMO, that they're producing non-CM content in a volume and at a pace that, frankly, I never expected they would or could.

So, kudos to EA on this expansion and on your management of the cartel market thus far.

I hope this brings many former players back and new players in. You have to have earned that.

As a rule of thumb if a mmo gets an expansion the first is never omg this is so huge.

What would really. Ake this great to me is if they

1 added ether some new species or classes

2 add a new companion for this expansion maybe 1 for rep and 1 for sith.

As a rule of thumb if a mmo gets an expansion the first is never omg this is so huge.

What would really. Ake this great to me is if they

1 added ether some new species or classes

2 add a new companion for this expansion maybe 1 for rep and 1 for sith.

Added a new species? Cathar inbound. Unsure of timeframe, but seems to me it's in the expac?

Added new companions? We already got HK.

So... what else ya got?

Added a new species? Cathar inbound. Unsure of timeframe, but seems to me it's in the expac?

So... what else ya got?

While I found enough in the patch notes to deem it worth the cost, there has been absolutely no indication, at least as far as I've seen, that Cathar are coming with RotHC. If you have a source for that, I'd love to see it. And HK has been around months, so you really can't count him as part of RotHC.

It is what it is, and what it is is a mini-expansion. The addition of Cathar would be significant, but there's been no mention of them in conjunction with RotHC to my knowledge.

So... what else ya got?

Well I am not sure if I myself like Cather but was talking about new races in general like wequee( I think is how it is spelt) but just more races over time in general

I know about hk but after awhile it is nice to get new companions with different styles of fighting

And new classes

What I really want is battle droid/ assasins droid now that would be epic