Ancient Gree Destroyer Droid

CavalierDutchess

I and a number of friends have been having a lot of fun at the energy pylon on Ilum. At first we would simply attack players, however, that quickly became boring. Considering we are role-players and play on The Ebon Hawk, a role-play server, we thought it would be more entertaining to role-play our actions around the event content.

To this end, we decided to treat the Ancient Gree Destroyer Droid as a deity and, in order to placate him, we must sacrifice those free of immoral actions to him. Sometimes we pull players to him. Sometimes we merely make the fight he is already engaged in easier. Whenever someone sacrifices themselves to the droid we thank them for their sacrifice and tell tales of their glory. We hope that when he has "fed" enough he might bring life to the desolate planet of Ilum.

While role-playing, one so pure in spirit began to sing the song of the Ancient Gree Destroyer Droid. Upon hearing this song I was inspired to adapt an actual song to the glory of the Ancient Gree Destroyer Droid and that is what follows.

Ancient Gree Destroyer Droid Worship Song

(To the melody of Like a G6 by Far East Movement)

Hook:

Poppin’ RPers in the ice, like a blizzard

When we sacrifice we do it right gettin’ slizzard

Sippin’ Sizzurp in his Kingdom, like so alive

Now Ancient Gree Destroyer Droid feelin' so fly like a D5

Verse One:

Give him that Ro-Roleplayer

Give him that Pv-PvEer

PvPers love his style, in his dome getting wild

Get them energy orbs poppin’, we get that drip

And that drop

Now give him two more bodies ‘cus you know it

Don’t stop

Chorus:

Eat ‘em up, Eat-eat ‘em up,

When QQers be around him, they be actin’ like they cursed

They be actin’ like they cursed, actin’-actin’ like they cursed

When QQers be around him, they be actin’-actin’ like they cursed

(Hook)

Verse Two:

Feedin’ on, eatin’ players, he ma-make it easy

PvEer he keep it Gree-sta, poppin energy orbs at his crib

This is how he live, every single night

Take that blaster shot to the head, and let him see you fly

(Chorus)

(Hook)

Bridge:

It’s that eighty meter pull, make you put yo hands up

Make you put yo hands up, put yo, put yo hands up

It’s that eighty meter pull, make you put yo hands up

Make you put yo hands up, put yo hands up

(Hook)

Edited by CavalierDutchess

I have been away for a while, so I did not get to see all of this firsthand. I got the basic gist from general chat, but I could only take so much before I ignored all of you and asked a friend to explain what was going on.

Naturally, we got to discussing why someone would behave in such a way. Spending vast amounts of time to prevent other people from questing, not because it provides you any sort of positive utility (quite the contrary, you found it boring and had to make up a little game to make harassing people more fun) but simply because you get a rise out of knowing that you have made someone else frustrated or angry is pretty much the textbook definition of sociopathic behavior. Sometimes we use the gentler term "bullying," even if the negative behavior is directed at random others, to avoid connotations of psychopathy (a personality disorder, as opposed to an instance of socially destructive behavior characteristic of those so described). It is the MMO equivalent of keying a stranger's car, pushing the kid down the street into mud, or posting conspicuous movie spoilers all over the internet.

By your own admission, there is nothing challenging or even engaging about the act of killing people who trek to the pylon alone.

My friend and I both came up with different theories about what might be wrong with the lot of you.

I suggested that maybe you were young people navigating the emotionally treacherous waters of adolescence where bullying is ubiquitous and positive behavioral role models are scarce. I always like this explanation for socially destructive behavior because it allows me to hope that the perpetrators are simply going through a life phase where negative behaviors are modeled all around them, and that they may yet grow up to be functional, compassionate, emotionally healthy adults.

I also suggested that it might be about control - oftentimes people bully others because they relish the ability to control someone else. This is usually a response to feelings of helplessness or a lack of control elsewhere in the bully's life. And preventing everyone on the server from completing one of the new quests would obviously give someone a substantial feeling of control over others.

My friend disagreed with me. He suggested that your behavior might be driven by a need for ego recognition, like a child acting out for attention. He said that he thinks that your group behaves in an overtly negative and socially proscribed manner in a bid for attention, validation, and peer recognition.

I guess he may have been right about this one.

He would probably chastise me for rewarding your negative behavior with attention, but I wanted to let you know that there are people here who are willing to help you. All you have to do is ask (using your words, not your hitting... and probably not on your main characters, since most everyone else has them on ignore).

Best of luck to you.

Spending your time questioning others motives'

and writing out your grievances could also be

considered a futile waste of time that benefits no one

maybe the goal is to make people quit the game so

they go out in the world and find their true mission in life

saving starving baby penguins or something.

I don't care either way I just think Alexis is awesome.

Another explanation is that we are in a PvP area and want to engage in PvP. If Standing in lines with both Imps and Pubs is your preference, then so be it. I personally have a different preference.

If someone wishes to make a RP event out of it, don't hate. Your best bet is to stay in the safe PvE areas or bring a group to protect you.

Odd how if someone doesn't play the way you like, they must be mental.

Saberwing had a ton of fun with it!

Honestly, I am not a huge fan of pubs attacking pubs. To me it always seemed illogical as far as a war would be concerned for a side to fight among itself.

Also, prior warning of an impending attack from what is generally considered safe due to same faction would go well to avoiding negative feedback from the community. If that's not an issue, please disregard this advice.

I have been away for a while, so I did not get to see all of this firsthand. I got the basic gist from general chat, but I could only take so much before I ignored all of you and asked a friend to explain what was going on.

Naturally, we got to discussing why someone would behave in such a way. Spending vast amounts of time to prevent other people from questing, not because it provides you any sort of positive utility (quite the contrary, you found it boring and had to make up a little game to make harassing people more fun) but simply because you get a rise out of knowing that you have made someone else frustrated or angry is pretty much the textbook definition of sociopathic behavior. Sometimes we use the gentler term "bullying," even if the negative behavior is directed at random others, to avoid connotations of psychopathy (a personality disorder, as opposed to an instance of socially destructive behavior characteristic of those so described). It is the MMO equivalent of keying a stranger's car, pushing the kid down the street into mud, or posting conspicuous movie spoilers all over the internet.

By your own admission, there is nothing challenging or even engaging about the act of killing people who trek to the pylon alone.

My friend and I both came up with different theories about what might be wrong with the lot of you.

I suggested that maybe you were young people navigating the emotionally treacherous waters of adolescence where bullying is ubiquitous and positive behavioral role models are scarce. I always like this explanation for socially destructive behavior because it allows me to hope that the perpetrators are simply going through a life phase where negative behaviors are modeled all around them, and that they may yet grow up to be functional, compassionate, emotionally healthy adults.

I also suggested that it might be about control - oftentimes people bully others because they relish the ability to control someone else. This is usually a response to feelings of helplessness or a lack of control elsewhere in the bully's life. And preventing everyone on the server from completing one of the new quests would obviously give someone a substantial feeling of control over others.

My friend disagreed with me. He suggested that your behavior might be driven by a need for ego recognition, like a child acting out for attention. He said that he thinks that your group behaves in an overtly negative and socially proscribed manner in a bid for attention, validation, and peer recognition.

I guess he may have been right about this one.

He would probably chastise me for rewarding your negative behavior with attention, but I wanted to let you know that there are people here who are willing to help you. All you have to do is ask (using your words, not your hitting... and probably not on your main characters, since most everyone else has them on ignore).

Best of luck to you.

Soporific, pedantic, obtuse and - by far my favorite - incorrect.

Let's explore your fallacy, shall we?

"(Sic) is pretty much the textbook definition of sociopathic behavior."

No, it's not. I mean, if you're deriving your definition of the word from Law and Order: SVU, maybe. If you're deriving it from the DSM, you're incorrect. You see, sociopathy has relatively little to do with motivation for actions - violent or otherwise. Rather, it is a clinical term (which means it's best used by clinicians, of which you clearly don't count yourself) for individuals who fall at the extreme end of several scales of emotional response.

What you probably meant to call her was a 'jerk'. The term is more apt, though perhaps not well suited to your purpose. See, if you call her a sociopath - and frame it with elegant sentence structure - then you get to come across as learned and effete. If you call her a jerk, then your true nature is more readily revealed: you're a whiner. You don't like the way someone else is playing a video game, so you're whining about it. That's ok. Whiners make up a significant portion of our society. They work in our McDonalds, they ring up our groceries, and they fill our internet forums. Take some pride in yourself, whiner, and let your flag fly!

Unfortunately, there is a reality which must be faced. Whiners... don't win. They don't graduate at the top of their class. They don't earn the corner office. They don't get the girl, and they aren't admired by their kids. Whiners are unfortunately too busy whining to accomplish these things. Even then they serve a purpose, however, because they clear room for the winners to go out and accomplish things. Winners like our OP, here.

So thank you, whiner. Thank you for whining, and God bless.

- Zack

Lakshan/Knucks

Good Game Guild

Soporific, pedantic, obtuse and - by far my favorite - incorrect.

Let's explore your fallacy, shall we?

"(Sic) is pretty much the textbook definition of sociopathic behavior."

No, it's not. I mean, if you're deriving your definition of the word from Law and Order: SVU, maybe. If you're deriving it from the DSM, you're incorrect. You see, sociopathy has relatively little to do with motivation for actions - violent or otherwise. Rather, it is a clinical term (which means it's best used by clinicians, of which you clearly don't count yourself) for individuals who fall at the extreme end of several scales of emotional response.

What you probably meant to call her was a 'jerk'. The term is more apt, though perhaps not well suited to your purpose. See, if you call her a sociopath - and frame it with elegant sentence structure - then you get to come across as learned and effete. If you call her a jerk, then your true nature is more readily revealed: you're a whiner. You don't like the way someone else is playing a video game, so you're whining about it. That's ok. Whiners make up a significant portion of our society. They work in our McDonalds, they ring up our groceries, and they fill our internet forums. Take some pride in yourself, whiner, and let your flag fly!

Unfortunately, there is a reality which must be faced. Whiners... don't win. They don't graduate at the top of their class. They don't earn the corner office. They don't get the girl, and they aren't admired by their kids. Whiners are unfortunately too busy whining to accomplish these things. Even then they serve a purpose, however, because they clear room for the winners to go out and accomplish things. Winners like our OP, here.

So thank you, whiner. Thank you for whining, and God bless.

- Zack

Lakshan/Knucks

Good Game Guild

This deserves a movie slow clap for pure awesomeness and pwnage. It also hits the nail right on the head.

If you're gonna accuse someone of cribbing from a TV show, you probably shouldn't turn around and base your philosphy on a Michael Bay movie. Sure, Sean Connery is totally cool and still the best James Bond, but The Rock hasn't really aged well. Personally, if I were to emulate one his characters, it would probably be Ramirez. But I've always had a soft spot for effete snobs.

Kaskali, I think your friend has it right. Adolescents acting out on the internet is not news. Today's Holden Caulfields get to inflict themselves on a wider audience, but it's all been done before. Just roll your eyes at how tedious they are, remember being a teenager yourself and go about your business. They'll grow out of it, but that's the damn problem with teenagers, they keep making more!

Besides getting jumped in the pvp area is no where close on the rage scale compared to the stupid catalyst gathering quest. Honestly, at least it's something different. Gank away if it makes your that happy.

And, later, when the pve-carebears locks down the pylons, folks complete the quests in peace and quite and PVPers start to whine, I guess it's our turn to go home and frak the prom queen.

Edited by Galandro