Space Combat

SentinelOfLight

I couldn't think of another place to put this thread, so its here. A small bit about me so people and devs know what i am talking about. mmo veteran, UO 5 yrs, WoW 6 yrs, AC 2 yrs, AoC 1 year, AO, 1 year, EQ 5 years, DaoC 2 yrs.

I Have reached my limit of MMO's only listening to their forum boards for hints about how to improve their games. Only 2% of your player base posts on your forums, and less than 5% even read your forums. The majority of people posting on the forums complaining about stuff are the minority that feel that way, not the majority. As such, it is a fairly silly way to take a snapshot of what the player-base wants. If you devs want a proper view of what people feel about certain parts of the game, i suggest a mandatory small poll after you experience certain parts of the game. A simple "rate your experience doing X from 1 to 10" will do.

Perfect example is space combat. I personally see no flaws in it, it runs fine on my machine, all the upgrades work, its engaging, gets my heart pumping faster and overall is an excellent addition to this game. I would play it as a standalone game, and even pay for it if needed. Some people get motion sick on it, but its friggin space combat, they probably shouldn't be playing that part of the game anyhow, and again, that's a minority of your player base and you should NOT be pandering to the minority of people that whine the loudest.

I know several people in real life that feel as i do, but we all have fairly demanding lives so the forums are very low on our priorities. I finally decided to post my opinion because of 17 years of mmo frustration. Before you make ANY changes to certain parts of the game to "improve" it, perform polls in-game to see what your real player base feels about it.

I'm sure ill get flamed for a good portion of this, but oh well, 17 years of frustration builds up.

Yah, I think I'd play it as a standalone game now as well, and I'm one of the ones pushing for a X-Wing style space experience.

One of the things I think you missed though is that for most of beta, the space game was VASTLY inferior the the one we have now.

Yeah, My guildees and I who all transferrred from a different MMO, really appreciate the Space battle the way it is and play it because it feels genuine and cool. Leave it alone, or perform the ingame poll. If people do not play the space battles they don't vote, simple as that.

I played some space combat missions for the first time last night. I'd seen people complaining on the forums about them.

All I can say is that I had a blast with them. It's a fun little distraction and change of pace. I hope if they do change it, they don't change the fundamentals of what it is.

I don't think this game needs a space sim. And I like space combat games. But in an MMO like this, I don't think we need something very complicated.

Space is 1000 times more fun in TOR than it is in STO and my fear is that is where it is heading with people demanding full control of their ships and BW dropping hints. STO space combat is just horrible and slow. I prefer the much faster pace of on rails action that can't be done once you give players full control.

Long story short, I fear people will get what they are asking for and then be majorly let down.

Space is 1000 times more fun in TOR than it is in STO and my fear is that is where it is heading with people demanding full control of their ships and BW dropping hints. STO space combat is just horrible and slow. I prefer the much faster pace of on rails action that can't be done once you give players full control.

Long story short, I fear people will get what they are asking for and then be majorly let down.

STO Combat is large cruisers and battleships. Its different from small corvettes and freighter fighting. Don't confuse the two. STO combat is like the Star Destoryers fighting the Cruisers and Frigates in RoTJ. Broadside naval battles... and that is awesome!

Yah, I think I'd play it as a standalone game now as well, and I'm one of the ones pushing for a X-Wing style space experience.

One of the things I think you missed though is that for most of beta, the space game was VASTLY inferior the the one we have now.

I rushed to get my ship on one character in beta and HATED it. Now it's almost like a different game.

STO Combat is large cruisers and battleships. Its different from small corvettes and freighter fighting. Don't confuse the two. STO combat is like the Star Destoryers fighting the Cruisers and Frigates in RoTJ. Broadside naval battles... and that is awesome!

I would love if they added a free-roaming (going to use an obscure reference, sorry) sim like the X3 series, that focused specifically on Capital class ships. They could be guild ships, and it'll be a form of GvG.

But they need to keep the space combat that is currently in the game, as is. I used to hate it, it's grown on me quite a bit.

The space combat as it is is good for a break between quests etc... a bit of fun, nothing too complicated.

I'd like to see a more sim oriented game, but then again, this might not be the place to do it.

Not too bothered either way