Increasing the Population

Illudrian

Hello,

I just wanted to start a very simple topic, with a very simple question.

That question is this: What can we (as players) do to increase the number of people who play this wonderful game?

I started Ultima Online the year it came out, when I was seven years old. I played until a few months after the release of the Samurai Empire (even though the game was going downhill as soon as the Age of Shadows came out). The year that World of Warcraft came out I was fourteen, and in eighth grade. World of Warcraft got me to move from the dying Ultima Online for good. Now that World of Warcraft is dying (despite being the most popular MMO) I want to find the next game for myself.

When I first got on to SWTOR, I was instantly in love with everything. So at this same time, I was instantly afraid that SWTOR wouldn't last long. Finding out just how popular it isn't, and the fact that the Elder Scrolls Online comes out this year, added to that fear. I don't have a single doubt in my mind that the Elder Scrolls Online will beat even World of Warcraft in popularity; so where does that leave SWTOR? It leaves us with even fewer players than we have now. I'm not saying I won't be an ESO player, but I'm also not saying I'm ready to leave SWTOR before I've experienced it for as long as I did the other MMO's I loved. I want all SWTOR players to experience what I did with the MMO's I loved.

I have essentially no clue what players can do to make this game more popular, so that's why I'm hoping the Empire and Republic alike will get together and figure out what we can do to save the Online Star Wars Universe, before it needs saving.

This is the Star Wars Discussion forum, and this is a Star Wars topic. Unless Star Wars the Old Republic isn't related to Star Wars? Is the section of the forums where people are discussing Star Wars itself not likely to be where those who are most interested in Star Wars have their discussions? I apologize for the mistake.

This is the Star Wars Discussion forum, and this is a Star Wars topic. Unless Star Wars the Old Republic isn't related to Star Wars? Is the section of the forums where people are discussing Star Wars itself not likely to be where those who are most interested in Star Wars have their discussions? I apologize for the mistake.

Try General Discussion.

This is more of a forum for Star Wars topics in general, in and outside of this game.

Would you kindly explain to me why a topic about the population of Star Wars: the Old Republic is not an in-game Star Wars topic? I explained why I believe it is, so I believe an explanation of why it is not shouldn't be too much to ask for.

You are way too concerned with the perception of the game. Elder Scrolls won't beat WoW's playerbase, just like every other game before it. That does not mean it will be a bad game.

Play a game because you like it and are having fun. I wll continue playing ToR until I have fun no longer.

Would you kindly explain to me why a topic about the population of Star Wars: the Old Republic is not an in-game Star Wars topic? I explained why I believe it is, so I believe an explanation of why it is not shouldn't be too much to ask for.

I did. Star Wars discussion is for broader topics involving lore in and outside of the game. The game's population is neither of those things and should go in GD.

Anyway I agree with the above post. You never did say what server you're on, but I'm on Shadowlands and the population is fine. Hell, often I cannot find time to play until the middle of the night, and when I'm online at 2:00-3:00 A.M. there are more than enough players for constant WZ pops. What more do we need?

Sure, adding some new faces wouldn't be a bad thing, but the best thing we can do is keep playing the game we enjoy. You don't attract new players by being in constant panic mode over the player population (I'm not saying you are, but there are a lot of posts like this already).

Edited by BradTheImpaler

Welcome to the STAR WARS discussion Forum! This forum exists so that Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ community members can discuss the larger STAR WARS galaxy, including the movies, books, comics, and other video games.

So ya...this ain't for game related things, or at least this game anyway.

Then the name of this section of the forum should be changed.

I apologize I didn't consider your first "explanation" as such. You're right, I'm not in panic mode; but the game is no longer fun when there's no longer new faces to play with. As I said in the first post, I've spent a LOT of time on MMO's; I'm sure other MMO veterans of 14+ years would agree with new faces being the most interesting aspect of an online game you've already spent time "completing" (in the most possible sense of the word). When I'm on WoW, I get happy when I see a player who's actually new. This game is only one year old, so of course there's still new faces. But will it last as long as WoW has with the number of players WoW has kept and obviously-new faces still showing up? That's what I'm wanting for SWTOR. I'm talking about the future of SWTOR; not the present.

If the Elder Scrolls Online works out the way it's supposed to, it will beat World of Warcraft within about 1-2 years of release, and SWTOR in much less time. World of Warcraft doesn't have much further to go, when it comes to levels players can be. I doubt average players will want to get above level 100, and it's already at 90. I also doubt average players will want to stay the same level with the only thing changing being gear and boss fights. The only thing games with the near-perfect potential of EOS require for a large player base is for the average computer to become better and less expensive.

Other MMO's aren't the only competitor; all video games are. Microsoft comes out with the IllumiRoom this year, as well as the next XBox console which will offer all the PS3 does and more but with Microsoft guarantees and compatibility.

All I want is for the first enjoyable Star Wars game to last a very, very long time.