Healing as a Commando low level - get easier?

WIZBASKY

I am only lvl 16 so far, but i am struglling with healing HAMMER isntance, on my sage I could bubble + heal + dps and almost never run out of power, but on commando I throw out 5 heals and im all done.

When does it get easier ??

NOTE: that is all points spent in healing spec.

how often are you using hammershot?

unlike sages, you regenerate ammo based on how much ammo you have. if you have 8-12, you regen the most (.6/s, or about 2 ammo every 3s), after that, .36/s (1 ammo every 3s) and it's pretty low after that one, i think .24/s (1 ammo every 4s)

so it's imperative to keep your ammo high and weave in hammershot every now and then. it's a decent heal and costs no ammo whatsoever, and helps charge your combat support cell.

that said, it does get easier. field triage (4th tier, 3-pt skill) makes advanced medical probe lower the cost of your next medical probe by 1 ammo. this won't happen until you reach 50, but the 4-set healing bonus lowers the cooldown of adv medical probe, essentially giving you more ammo.

the capstone skill for combat medic is a sizable heal on a moderately high CD, but costs no ammo, plus you get one of your most cost-effective heals, trama probe, not too long before that.

also, supercharge cells is a great ammo management tool. you can charge up combat support cell inbetween fights and use supercharge cells to immediately gain 1 ammo back, plus increase your healing by 5% for 10s, remove the CD of adv medical probe, and add a damage reduction buff to people hit by your kolto bomb (which you can get at lv20)

Edited by oaceen

I remember quite well how much it sucked low level on my commando...especially compared to my now 42 Sawbones - but it does get better, especially with field triage. The combination of having a 2ammo MP, which is a spammable combo on cooldown with Super Charged Cell...Bacta Infusion, plus the buff from Kolto Bomb + hammer shot ticking for 400 crits...it's quite effective. Stick with it.

But do yourself a favour and get field respec. Gunnery is ridiculously good for soloing.

I do have field respec and use it when i heal groups.

But wow all that micro managment just for healing, I know it probabaly sounds worse than it really is, I had to do some micro managemnt on my sage too.

A few big heals sacrifice life to get power use my free personal heal to get life back, keep healing rince & repeat, that sort of thing, but still sages have it so easy.

Edited by WIZBASKY

I do have field respec and use it when i heal groups.

But wow all that micro managment just for healing, I know it probabaly sounds worse than it really is, I had to do some micro managemnt on my sage too.

A few big heals sacrifice life to get power use my free personal heal to get life back, keep healing rince & repeat, that sort of thing, but still sages have it so easy.

I agree. I heal with a Commando and with a Sorcerer (both lvl 50) and tbh, I feel that in terms of resource management Sorc/Sages are a blatant faceroll in comparison to merc/commandos.

I don't know what the next expansion will bring (yes, I read the datamined changes but who knows...). I think the class could use a buff. Here's hoping.

Commando healing is really fun at 50, the key is never drop below 8 ammo if you can help it and weave in hammer shot as much as you can without sacrificing the heals when they are actually needed. The resource system is different but once you get the hang of it you will love commando healing. I have a sage at 50 also and much prefer to heal on my commando.

I am only lvl 16 so far, but i am struglling with healing HAMMER isntance, on my sage I could bubble + heal + dps and almost never run out of power, but on commando I throw out 5 heals and im all done.

To be honest, Hammer Station is probably the most difficult low level flashpoint to heal (relative to your level of course) because your missing so many of your heals. Having played through it as a Commando, Scoundrel and Sorcerer now, I have to say that the one heal you're forced to spam will drive you dry really quickly if the encounter takes long. Which, given how much dps people do at this point, it always does.

It gets noticably easier when you get Kolto Bomb.

i have thinking also that , my charr is now 23 lvl and still its hard using only few healing spells in dungeons and tank die alot.I hope its soon easier ^^ :)

The early flashpoints highlight one of BW's biggest failures with the class design/balance. It shows up in particular for healers and tanks. The different classes that fill the roles were all designed to be (poorly) balanced at 50, with no consideration at all lower down. So some tanks have an AoE early. My Shadow didn't get one until around level 27. Likewise healing, the Commando just doesn't have enough tools early on to manage the punishing resource well.

It gets better.