The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Level adaptive mods

Planar

Purple level mod you buy on cartel market that levels up as you level, so you buy a Resolve 1 Armoring Mod off cartel Market, place in armor and as you level it goes from Resolve 1 up to 22.

I for one would snatch these up for alts.

• 3 weeks later...

So - you want to TOTALLY destroy the use for crafters and allow characters to always be "geared best" from level 1-49?

You understand that the CM is designed to sell absolutely nothing game breaking?

That this is F2P and NOT P2W?

Shall we just add a "click here to win" button or even a "click here to be level 50" and then get rid of all <50 content?

Edited by Stoofa

Sweet mother, no.

It is already stressful on the market to have all this Cartel stuff coming out. Armormech, Synthweaving and Armstech are all but useless, save making augments. Artifice crafters took a huge hit from crystal sales with the whole +41 crystals at level 10 deal. The only way to make even a little money now is off the enhancement market, and the free tionese gear sort of dented that too.

By giving people adaptable, leveling mods, the exact same thing would happen to Cybertech crafters. If we did this, we might as well make purple leveling stims and kill off the Biochem market too.

Eventually, this Cartel deal will either kill the market entirely, or become so expensive that only those with the money to shell out for packs will make any profit.

mods already do drop from boss's and npc's they are rare though, and are often of no use to you, ie a cunning mod drops while your playing as shadow

Rare enough I've gone to 50 twice and never had one drop in normal questing. I thought maybe they only dropped in FPs.

But my point was to have them drop more often. With adaptive armors selling on the Cartel Market, this is a good idea.

Its already easy to get mods. If they became common trash drops with any more quality then the cheap greens you can buy at vendors on every planet anyways then it would still devalue 1-49 gearing.

Advice: Pick up cybertech and artiface. It doesn't take that long to RE your way to being able to craft every blue modification they can learn for 1-49, and once you do your set for life on all future alts.

The would completely break 1-49 gearing. Bad idea be bad.

Well, considering 1-49 is all based solely on crafting for the best gear, for the gearing in the 1-49 to be broken, it needs to be working....it isn't.

Items are either not there at all or are there, but are SEVERELY overpriced, a level 19 blue quality armoring for 20k, sorry, but no...too much.

I support the topic starter's idea, but not the quality of the mod, make it blue, so crafters can craft something better, you know, it gives them a sense of usefulness, not that they craft anything pre-49 anyway.

So - you want to TOTALLY destroy the use for crafters and allow characters to always be "geared best" from level 1-49?

You understand that the CM is designed to sell absolutely nothing game breaking?

That this is F2P and NOT P2W?

Shall we just add a "click here to win" button or even a "click here to be level 50" and then get rid of all <50 content?

I hope you know that, no one crafts anything for pre-49....you do know that right?

Its so bad, that i have to use greens that other people have looted, because crafters don't craft anything or they ask for too higher price for their services, i know they need to make a profit, but when it costs them 1k to make something, then asking someone for 10k for it, is just taking the p*ss.

you do know in the 1-49 leveling part of the game blue mods / enchancments are cheaply priced on every planetary vendor at 2 comms each along with higher priced armor mods (7 coms ) . purple mods that level up with you would total destroy what lilttle reason there is for even learning to make protype level mods.

We can't have it here because it makes the pve stupid easy and the pvp BiS for all lowbies, among everything said above. A thousand times no to this.

And ofc the easy way for making millions of credits would vanish. so no way to demanding that über-mega-prices on the gtn anymore. hell no way. let us ask the 20k+ for a purple mod for a lev 11 .how much should a lev 10 pay for his gear? armstech and armor tech are actually useless, they should craft armours and weapons ... oh well it's all crap , the whole crafting system should be remade.

@BioWare redesign the whole crafting system, put credits on sale on the cm and make more profit

Honestly, crafting is pretty well fubar as-is. It needs a lot more TLC, and really, all this moddable Adaptive-armor is doing more harm than good. I think Adaptive-mods might actually help the situation -- so long as they're MUCH weaker that crafted parts.

For example, if you take Artifice, you would still get more benefit from your own mods than the Adaptive-ones. However, you could still live by using Adaptive-mods in slots that you *can't* fill. Here's what I'd recommend; have Adaptive-mods be identical to the existing ones. Then, make crafted-mods *WAY* more powerful.

Using my level 18 Guardian as an example, his current Hilt gives him about +8 Endurance. With this change, he could now buy an Adaptive hilt that gives him +8 Endurance, that scales up. However, a crafted Hilt might now grant him +20 Endurance. As such, I could level a character using nothing but Adaptive gear, and technically I would never have to be bothered replacing any of it (and make no mistake, it is most definitely a bother). However, by crafting items, he becomes immensely more powerful, and if I want to make him almost god-like, I can purchase mods from other players or craft them on my alts.

It's important to note that we don't want to make Adaptive-mods less powerful, but to make crafted items *MORE* powerful. Frankly, crafted items feel kind of inconsequential right now, and that needs to change.

Honestly, crafting is pretty well fubar as-is. It needs a lot more TLC, and really, all this moddable Adaptive-armor is doing more harm than good. I think Adaptive-mods might actually help the situation -- so long as they're MUCH weaker that crafted parts.

For example, if you take Artifice, you would still get more benefit from your own mods than the Adaptive-ones. However, you could still live by using Adaptive-mods in slots that you *can't* fill. Here's what I'd recommend; have Adaptive-mods be identical to the existing ones. Then, make crafted-mods *WAY* more powerful.

Using my level 18 Guardian as an example, his current Hilt gives him about +8 Endurance. With this change, he could now buy an Adaptive hilt that gives him +8 Endurance, that scales up. However, a crafted Hilt might now grant him +20 Endurance. As such, I could level a character using nothing but Adaptive gear, and technically I would never have to be bothered replacing any of it (and make no mistake, it is most definitely a bother). However, by crafting items, he becomes immensely more powerful, and if I want to make him almost god-like, I can purchase mods from other players or craft them on my alts.

It's important to note that we don't want to make Adaptive-mods less powerful, but to make crafted items *MORE* powerful. Frankly, crafted items feel kind of inconsequential right now, and that needs to change.

I personally think that the adaptive mods could level with the player, but stay at the quality of blue....prototype i believe this game calls it, that keeps the crafted items worthwhile still, the artifact quality i believe, what bioware could do is remove all the green and blue crafted items and just have a single quality? this quality will have the stats of artifact items.

This would allow everyone to gear up themselves and their companion, when they need to for storyline reasons, for example, the Jedi Knight storyline, i go through the whole freaking story with Kira, then Doc, because biowares' ****** combat system requires it, but at the end, i am forced, yes FORCED to use a specific companion, which i haven't used since slightly after Coruscant, safe to say, i had to spend over 100,000cr for gear for one freaking fight.

This adaptive mods idea has possibilities, make sure its only available via the cartel market, making it a uber-way for bioware to make some extra money and since it isn't the BEST statted items, the crafters will not be shafted, not that they do anything to be shafted with this idea.

Also, the crafted gear doesn't need to be more powerful, the reason why they seem so insignificant, is because the crafters tend to over-price them most of the time and THAT is why people call them crap, also, they tend to think only about endgame and not about the leveling phase.

Once the crafters get this into their heads, that its about the leveling process, then learn to not be greedy, asking for 10k, when its not worth more then 1k, then, they will make more profit....just my 2cents.

Once the crafters get this into their heads, that its about the leveling process, then learn to not be greedy, asking for 10k, when its not worth more then 1k, then, they will make more profit....just my 2cents.

You've repeated your 2 cents about over-pricing more times than I care to remember. Why don't you try crafting yourself instead of endlessly whingeing on about it? You might then start to understand why prices are as high as they are.

I am dead against the OP's idea.

Crafting all your own mods doesn't even take that much effort. Not unless you want artifact for everything. Reaching prototype quality of every mod a cybertech or artiface can learn only takes maybe a week or two and a few hounded thousand credits for mats. You can do this with level 10s, theres no level limit to crafting, only equipping. Then your set for life for all future alts except for weapon barrels, which would require a third alt for armstech if you really wanna bother. And even the blues are more then you honestly need. You can do all solo content 1-49 with just green modded gear as long as your up to level. That wouldn't require any REing which means almost no investment. Blues are icing on the cake for those who think the investment is worth the added ease of alt leveling. Purples for 1-49 are just a waste of time.

Its kind of fun finishing an RE to-do list imo too. When I got every single armoring and mod a cybertech can make to blue I felt very accomplished.

Edited by Doctoglethorpe

I have tried crafting, found it utterly boring, which i have stated numerous times and the reason why crafters put up so higher price is because they are greedy and just want as much credits as possible.

I can understand purple quality items costing alot, since when i collect underworld metals, i hardly ever get the purple quality materials required for them, but the blue quality materials, are a dime a dozen, so i fail to see why its at such a high price.

The only reason that makes sense is that they are being greedy, pure and simple, i personally don't like crafting, never have, never will, its not about how long-winded it is or isn't, i just don't like crafting, in all the mmos i have played, i have never, EVER done crafting.

I am just stating what i think is something that needs sorting out, it seems like only crafters tend to try to rip my posts apart......worried about their overpriced profits i am thinking.

Instead of leveling up mods, how about we just see mods drop from enemies.

Or maybe even let the respective crew skills actually learn the schematics hat people really want. No patron mods under level 20 or 25? No tanking enhancement or mod until roughly the same range? I mean, I understand that the flashpoints aren't really requiring a proper tank until maybe althis, but at least let them get somewhat of a jump on things. Even the gear you find that somehow happens to have the item mod your after cant be RE'd to discover them. It's somewhat of a disservice to the community, IMO.

Edited by althene

I would love to have these personally, but they would ruin the game.

Not really ruin the game, but help it survive for those that do not like crafting and for those that hate it, but do NOT have trillions of credits to waste on overpriced mods, i know how dangerous it is to state your opinion, especially when it differs to other peoples' opinion, but the only reason that majority of the players are against this suggested feature is cause they will lose loads of profit, not because it would ruin the game.

Not really ruin the game, but help it survive for those that do not like crafting and for those that hate it, but do NOT have trillions of credits to waste on overpriced mods, i know how dangerous it is to state your opinion, especially when it differs to other peoples' opinion, but the only reason that majority of the players are against this suggested feature is cause they will lose loads of profit, not because it would ruin the game.

However it would appear that anyone with a different opinion to yourself is immediately wrong?

You do not need to craft. Nobody is forcing you to do so.

There are players who do like to craft. I come from a long-line of MMORPG's and in the very first one I played a crafter and that is what I did in-game for 90% of the time. Simply crafting and doing repairs for others.

I'm not a "greedy" player and I price my items accordingly. So if I have to send out companions to get the materials I require then the price of my crafted items will be higher than if I was able to get a good deal on materials from the GTN.

Purple enchancements/mods/armouring are expensive as they reflect the fact that the purple materials are not as easy to get hold of.

However blue items are very competitively priced on the GTN. The only issue is actually lack of them. In the past I've gone looking and haven't been able to find the ones I need, hence the reason I've decided to take the time and build up crafting skills amongst my characters.

My wealth has certainly not been built-up from crafting. The income from that is a lot lower than maybe you think. The bottom has fallen out of the crystal market as for 100k you can buy a crystal that lasts from lvl 10 right through to end-game.

Planetary coms allow quite easy gathering of blue armouring/barrels/hilts.

The addition of scaling mods won't suddenly cause greedy people to lose credits and that is the reason they dare to disagree with your opinion.

It will ruin yet another crafting class. As I said at the opener, you may not like crafting however there are plenty of people who do.

Your suggestion simply takes away the fun for these people.