Clone Wars Episode 16 Review

Bird_of_Thunder

I think this was done intentionally..

1. Maul was trained under Sidious since he was a child. He probably got serious beatings like this before under Sidious. I think his mind regressed back to those days. He remembered how bad those beatings were and resorted to acting the way he did back then as a Day 1 Apprentice.

2. Maul isn't the first Sith to cry out for Mercy. In the Darth Bane novels, Bane talks about "those that cry out for Mercy, do not deserve it". Nevertheless, it's still worth a shot, when everything around you is taken away from you. Maul lost everything.

3. It was a cowardly deception. Sidious used it too against Mace Windu. If your going to lose, then humiliate yourself to make yourself look even weaker. Maybe the person about to kill you will have sympathy or find you so pathetic that they will let you live. Either way, YOUR ALIVE !! and every Sith would much rather be alive, then dead. Who cares about things like pride and honor. Start over, gain power, and try again.

In this case I agree it is just an out of character writer screw up. If Maul would have taken advantage of a lull in Sidisous' attack, I would agree with you.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Palps originally had two sabers. Think about it. His got thrown out the window during his duel with Mace Windu. Then when Yoda showed up he had another one to replace it.

OMG THIS IS THE GREATEST EPISODE I'VE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!

SPOILERS!!!

Bum Reviews Joke aside I liked this episode, but I found it quite repetitive in beginning what with the Rescue, Escape,...Caught....Rescue, Escape....Caught again.... Can't say I wasn't a little bit happy when Maul killed Satine.....because it was the end or at least a sign of the the end of the New Mandalorians I've despised greatly ever since their debut in Season 2. REAL MANDO'ADE FTW!!! :csw_fett:

Love the New Hope References...With the luring the grunt aboard your ship to knock him out and steal his outfit move which might be where Obi Wan and the gang got it from in ANH. Also Darth Maul quoting Vader. "I sense I presence I haven't felt since...." Funny.

That Duel between Maul and Sidious, EPIC.

Kinda disappointed that the Mando with Horns wasn't Maul. I mean it makes sense that he would wear armor like that being the *Grumble Grumble* Mandalore *Grumble Grumble*. So that makes me wonder WHO THE KRIFF WAS THAT?!

I can't help but get the feeling that Darth Maul is going to be doing what Starkiller does in TFU during Order 66 or during the Jedi Purge.

Interesting thought: the confrontation between Sidious, Maul and Savage is likely if not definitely the first time Sidious fought a lightsaber wielding opponent in a real battle. I've read Darth Plagueis and nowhere from the beginning of his apprenticeship with Plagueis to Plagueis' death does Sidious actual duel a lightsaber wielder, even when he kills his master he does so when his master is incapacitated. Sure he probably sparred with Plagueis and maybe even Maul but never engaged in a real duel. So this fight was actual a first time for Sidious and technically both Savage and Maul had more experience.

Maybe that's why Sidious didn't flat out destroy them, after all just like learning to swim, you've got to learn these things from experience.

Lol yeah, you mean the films? :p

all of those things, Plagueis book, books about Luke, completely everything should be reshaped!

and to comment below, he most definately was not keen on destroying them fast, it was just a nice fun bang-bang

Awesome episode.

I liked the funny parts of Obi-Wan, him killing/knocking out the guy in the elevator, and having the Twilight go out in a bang - 2 out of control spinning ships were in this episode. :) It is awesome how Obi-Wan knows how to use a blaster.

Satine's death was sad, surprised Obi didn't do anything in revenge, or did he and I'm just forgetting? :D

Palpatine came and shizzle went down, Savage died and Maul got beaten. I would have liked to see Maul throw Palp at a wall and run away or something, I also loved the way he took out the black-saber when he was filled with rage.

It would have been cool to see other characters in the arc, like Cody or Rex or Anakin, I would have preferred this arc to be how many episodes the droid arc was, speaking of which, the droid arc should have ended at either the first episode or the Gregor episode, but they just continue it when you think it should be over XD

Again- Awesome episode.

I just watched the episode again (kinda had to :p) and I think the best thing about it was the choreography of the fights. Not just Sidious, Maul and Savage, but Bo-Katan as well. It was amazing how intricate, complex and inventive they were, and how they flowed so well. I especially liked it when Bo-Katan shot her grapple hook at one Mando then attached it to the other and sent them flying. Really creative. I hope to see quality like this in the films. I also liked Satine's hair :p

This is by far my favourite episode of the entire season. But the next arc may trump that... I hope so.

P.S. Is it just me or did the music played when Sidious arrived on Mandalore sound like a Sith theme from the Old Republic?

Despite my general disdain for TCW. I must say that this arc was fantastic.

I liked the contrast between how Obi-Wan deals with loss in this arc while remaining true to himself and the Jedi, with how Anni deals with loss by murdering people.

I liked seeing Pre give Maul a run for his money, and proving a competent Mando can put up a good fight against a force user.

I liked everything about Maul, his voice acting, his personality, his interaction with the other characters, the way he manipulated people, how utterly terrified he was when Sidious burst through the door, the last mournful "brother" when Savage died. ect. ( This coming from someone who wasn't too happy at him being brought back).

I liked Bo being given an actual interesting character.

I liked that the Mandalorian pretender Satine died.

I liked that the useless plot device known as Savage Opress finally was removed.

I liked Sids proving that he is the greatest Sith ever to swing a saber.

I Disliked Maul begging for mercy, Sids "there is no mercy line" was great but begging is not something I see maul doing. When he thought Sidious was going to kill him during his training, Maul spat on him in what he thought was one final act of defiance. Would've liked to have seen something similar here.

I wasn't a fan of how rushed the pace of the arc seemed, one or two more episodes would’ve been nice (and let’s be honest, the droids arc did NOT need to be four episodes long, two maybe, if even that)

My personal fantasy was Fenn Shysa killing both Satine and Visla, but barring that, these episodes were the next best thing.

FOR MANDALORE!!!

Just saying, a lot of certain alien species seem to land on the wrong side of the law in the Republic

well in his original episode, he went to any lengths to protect his brother, but he was not overly violent or bloodthirsty. The nightsister turned him that way. I think he would have made a great Jedi. Savage actually says in the most recent episode how he "was never like Maul."

Have we met before?

Not that I know of, though trolling doesn't have to be personal. I'm just making you a target because I knew that there would be butt hurt fans whining over Satine's demise, which I felt coming, and before these episodes, knew was coming due to a guy on the Mando Mercs forum spoiling the details last year. From then on I knew that someone wouldn't take this news sitting down. It just happened to be you. It was inevitable. :rak_03:

Long Story Short...I'm a Troll Trolololololol :rak_05:

If I was Maul, I would have killed Obi-Wan and let Satine watch. He already killed a loved one for Obi-Wan waaaay back in Episode I. Yeah, it will hurt him to see her die, but this doesn't quite seem the revenge I would want as Maul.

Or maybe even better: Cut Obi-Wan in half, like he did, then kill Satine in front of his eyes, then kill him/let him die. But not simply kill her and put him into a comfortable prison.

If I was the writer of this episode, I would have let Satine die in the ship crash. It would make much more sense than what happened. (Still awesome episode, though.)

If I was Maul, I would have killed Obi-Wan and let Satine watch. He already killed a loved one for Obi-Wan waaaay back in Episode I. Yeah, it will hurt him to see her die, but this doesn't quite seem the revenge I would want as Maul.

Or maybe even better: Cut Obi-Wan in half, like he did, then kill Satine in front of his eyes, then kill him/let him die. But not simply kill her and put him into a comfortable prison.

If I was the writer of this episode, I would have let Satine die in the ship crash. It would make much more sense than what happened. (Still awesome episode, though.)

Maul wanted revenge on Obi-Wan, you can't exact revenge on a corpse. And as Obi is a Jedi, killing him would be pointless because Jedi don't fear death. He'd feel brief pain and then it would be over. Maul wanted Obi Wan to suffer and exploiting his connection to Satine made that happen, and that was just the beginning, Maul had only just got started. He doesn't care about Satine, she's just a pawn in his revenge against Maul.

I dunno about your last point, personally I really liked the scene when Satine died (no, not in a sadistic way :p), it was really emotional, suspenseful, distressing and strangely, unexpected. Believe it or not but I didn't see her death coming until Maul ignited the darksaber. I think her dying in a ship crash would have been somewhat anti-climatic, and far less chilling. You wouldn't have those ghostly chimes, or see that sadistic, cruel smile when Maul sat on his throne and watched on. I think that was the best scene in the whole episode, even better than the duel.

Edited by Beniboybling