Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Zabuza's PvP tanking encyclopedia

NamikazeNaruto

Well here is the thing, I am not claiming anything. I appreciate your efforts as well as theirs. Reading all this info and applying my logic helps me reach better conclusions. For me though a big factor is that Dipstik, KBN, and Kitru asked for types of damage/amounts/input. If you go thru the thread you can see where they quote different values of Def/Sh/Abs for different input of types of damage. You are right so much is situational in PvP. The bottom line for me though is based on the input these guys ran calculations to determine these values. They are not theory crafting, they are evaluating based on cold hard data. As such I would offer that you should take a look at what you offer above as the types (2 sniper & 1 mara) and see what the numbers come up with for proper mitigation and how much endurance.

If you do not, I might :).

Again though thanks for all you do :)!!

Right I read the thread multiple times. They calculate numbers assuming a team will be 60% F/T attacks and a scenario where there is 60% M/R attacks. With the F/T team they pretty much exclude defense from the equation. With M/R They stack a lot more defense. The thing is there is no one best setup for PvP, because the composition of the enemy team is always changing. So therefore, I almost think the best solution may be to achieve a sort of balance between endurance and defense/shield/absorb. I have added a third build that is a middle ground between the Mitigation Build and Endurance Build.

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

Out of curiosity what order did you purchase your gear in when hitting 55? And what order did you go about replacing it? Any pieces that helped improve performance noticeably?

Thanks

Hmm, well I would purchase the MK-1 implants/earring(Shield/Absorb) first, followed by the healing relic. After I would probably get the legs, head, and body since they also have all shield/absorb/defense. Then bracers/belt and defense relic because of the low comm price. Then saber, then after that the pieces that have other stats like alacrity or accuracy on them come last(Head, Gloves, Shield.)

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

Hmm, well I would purchase the MK-1 implants/earring(Shield/Absorb) first, followed by the healing relic. After I would probably get the legs, head, and body since they also have all shield/absorb/defense. Then bracers/belt and defense relic because of the low comm price. Then saber, then after that the pieces that have other stats like alacrity or accuracy on them come last(Head, Gloves, Shield.)

Thanks, I appreciate the straight answer. Most people answer with a lack of thought or ***** about bolster :)

Thanks, I appreciate the straight answer. Most people answer with a lack of thought or ***** about bolster :)

No problem, technically pve gear in certain slots is better because of how bolster works atm, but I don't support gearing in a way that isn't intended and one I feel Bioware will most likely eventually fix.

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

Do you have any videos? Just curious I don't see many Sin tanking videos about most are all DPS specs of some sort.

Well after 2.0 vids I mean. Thanks

Unfortunately, I average between 5 and 20 frames per second on my current computer. So I don't currently have any videos. Sorry :\

• 2 weeks later...

May want to add this spec specifically for huttball.... a lot of assassin's/shadow's run this in RWZ huttball on the bastion

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/assassin#1322123212110023322-100032221-20

gives you the mitigation out of the tank tree and also you get darkswell for those times you pick up the ball and you need an extra cooldown (25% dmg reduction is nice)

Also in tank tree you pick up instant spike for fire pulls and incase anyone didnt know you want to

Pull-->spike--->(after they break) Electrocute gg your ball

• 2 weeks later...
Any thoughts around using the 2pc Survivor PvE set bonus? An additional 5% to shield with Dark Ward seems nice, especially since I'm mitigation-built, but is it worth the expertise drop?

The reason I haven't used the 2 piece PvE set bonus is because I definitely do not believe it is worth the expertise drop. Expertise is needed above all else. That being said I wish they'd change the 4 piece PvP tank bonus to something more defensive.

Edited by NamikazeNaruto

• 1 month later...
I've been running full Endurance/shield/absorb on my PT tank based of Sef's guide and love it. I plan to do the same on my Sin in 2.4. 15% shield chance + up to 8% Absorb, really supports the increased shield/absorb and since you have a % heal in your rotation and a % heal on your Cooldown, they get a nice boost. Also, with 38k health a medpac heals me for 11k. I really enjoy stacking endurance for pvp so far, though as long as a tank has defensive stats in his gear I'm mostly concerned about his skill, so I think it's just a matter of playstyle/preference. Edited by KevMeup
mistaken on 2 piece forcemaster

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Any suggestions for tanking in war zone arenas?

Keep an eye on your healer ( as allways ) .... Switch guard if someone is in Trouble... Keep Sniper/Gunslinger alive so they can do their Job and dish out a freaking amount of dmg...annoy the hostile healer as much as u can (sap, Interrupt, cc, pull him, push him,...)

if thers a dps sin/shadow i mostly try to stay on them. ignored they are too deadly.

well thats for reg`s. iam sure some PRO could give a few ranked tips and tricks

Edited by rlionherz

Excellent guide.

I only chime in as I didn't see it previously mentioned. You said to try to keep Phase Walk up for your healers as much as possible, and currently, if you right-click the buff off yourself before it ends, then Phase Walk does not go on cooldown and can be cast again.

Yes, well, the specific use of it nowdays is that you reposition phasewalk as much as your healer needs. Again it's 5% but it adds up as the match gets longer. Also if the healer is e.g. hugging the pillar in voidstar is good to just drop it there so hes in that area even when kiting around.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.