The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is reporting rude behavior even worth it?

Radzkie

I did something completely different on this issue, and my enjoyment of SWTOR in some ways has gone down, but I am also no where near as upset while playing as I used to be when I watched chat closely...

I shut off general chat completely. All chat actually, even say and whisper. I now enjoy a pleasant gaming experience in a Star Wars environment, and I leave everyone alone to enjoy SWTOR the way they wish to, even if their way is rude and obnoxious. I don't see it any longer, so it doesn't bother me any more.

Sounds crazy to do in a MMO yes, but running a MMO without Chat Moderators is even more crazy, and that is how BW/EA is doing it since launch. So... am I really the one doing it wrong?

I did something completely different on this issue, and my enjoyment of SWTOR in some ways has gone down, but I am also no where near as upset while playing as I used to be when I watched chat closely...

I shut off general chat completely. All chat actually, even say and whisper. I now enjoy a pleasant gaming experience in a Star Wars environment, and I leave everyone alone to enjoy SWTOR the way they wish to, even if their way is rude and obnoxious. I don't see it any longer, so it doesn't bother me any more.

Sounds crazy to do in a MMO yes, but running a MMO without Chat Moderators is even more crazy, and that is how BW/EA is doing it since launch. So... am I really the one doing it wrong?

I do a bit of this, too. While part of me acknowledges the uniqueness added by interaction with others, there is a part of me that wishes that this game would evolve totally into a single-player game; as the people seem to be the single biggest problem with this game at times. This isn't all the time, but my rate of reporting disgusting behavior and adding to my ignore list is increasing every week it seems. What else will I do when I run out of ignore slots on all my characters? Either play less or run entirely with chat off- which I can't imagine the devs really want . Those who back freedom of speech won't like this, but there are people who will not act decently unless there is a deterrent force present- which none of us players can be at this time. Conversation in chat is fine and doesn't bother me even if it does go off-topic(bacon talking may soon be an exception), but when the chat goes malignant it is time for something to be done.

Edited by amaresch