Could the Death Star destroy the One Ring?

revansowns

Yes it can.

If we're combining the two universes, then the force = magic. Just because the book says they possess no craft or means of destroying the ring, doesn't mean it didn't exist at one point or will exist in the future. Sauron was not even the biggest baddie to have ever lived. He's merely a lieutenant to the "Lucifer" of the LOTR universe who is Melkor. I'm 100% positive Melkor could have destroyed Sauron's ring using magic or whatever if he was still around. Thus, the "needs Mt. Doom" requirement is moot.

There is no known force technique/ritual that would be able to withstand the Deathstar, thus if force = magic, then Deathstar can destroy the One Ring.

Edited by Smashbrother

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not letting star wars get trumped by a Star Trek transporter.

I hereby contend that a lightsaber, let alone a star destroyer, could destroy The One Ring.

After all, all those guys saying what could and couldn't destroy the ring were neither omnipotent nor infallible in their assessments.

Edited by Vonstagger

You have missed it mate, the ring CANNOT be destroyed!! Itmust be brought to Mount Doom where it was made, only there can it be destroyed!! Must i tell you everything:(

Possibly. That's what Gandalf said. But Gandalf (and the rest of the White Council) are not infallible.

In any case, it could just be that the fires of Orodrurin were the only things on Middle Earth hot enough to destroy it. Given that there were no other alternatives, it would be perfectly reasonable to say "nothing else could destroy it", even if other things from other universes (e.g. the Death Star, or Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, or Azathoth) would be powerful enough. And Gandalf's description does seem to imply (although not state explicitly) that it is an issue of heat - Frodo's fire won't melt ordinary gold; dragons used to be able to melt Rings of Power, but there aren't any left who are hot enough to do so, and none could melt the One Ring.

I suppose it's possible that Sauron, when making the Ring, put a specific spell on it so that it could only be destroyed in the fires that made it, but it seems more likely to me that it was simply so tough that only Mount Doom was hot enough to melt the materials to make it in the first place, and only Mount Doom is hot enough to re-melt it.

Also, as regards highly-specific magical conditions, the way it is presented LotR suggests that the Lord of the Nazgul is inherently unkillable by Men (but a woman plus a Hobbit can circumvent that). However, when that prophesy is mad in the Silmarilion, it seems to me to be more the case of immutable fate (i.e. he will be killed by Eowyn and Merry, therefore noone else can kill him beforehand).

Besides, if we take that statement literally, that means that Eru couldn't destroy the Ring, which just isn't plausible.

Yes the Death Star and a lightsaber could destroy the one ring. The reasoning being was that MT doom was the only place that was hot enough in middle earth to destroy the ring, they lacked the technology to make anything hotter. Ergo a lightsaber being much hotter would go right through the ring. Plasma> magma. Lastly who care about a ring when middle earth goes poof.... One ring to rule all asteroids left of middle earth.