The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

powertech dps end game

detowne

Hey all just started back up anyways thinking of rerolling my merc and making a powertech . I like to PvP a lot but I would also like to Do some end game dps for hm`s and ops. Is this something I can do with a powertech or will I never get into an op as dps?

Thanks

Edited by detowne

for Ops, (PVE) you'll never get picked over an Arsenal Merc. well i guess it *could* happen. in a Pug. or if your guild absolutely needs a dps and no "real" DPS is available.

This what I was afraid of. They look like a lot of fun in pvp but I don't like tanking so I would pretty much be useless outside of pvp. Thanks for the reply.

Hey all just started back up anyways thinking of rerolling my merc and making a powertech . I like to PvP a lot but I would also like to Do some end game dps for hm`s and ops. Is this something I can do with a powertech or will I never get into an op as dps?

Thanks

If your primary focus is PVP, go with a Pyro PT, since Merc will never be as good of a DPS in PVP, comapred to a PT.

If your primary focus is just running Ops, then stick with the Merc - You probably won't want to go through rerolling and gearing just to have a PT, in that case.

Mercs aren't necessarily better a DPS, compared to a PT, they just get a 30m Interrupt and a long mez CC. A good PT will also always be chosen over a mediocre Merc. If you play your AC like poo, you'll always be picked last for Ops, regardless of what class/role you choose.

If your primary focus is PVP, go with a Pyro PT, since Merc will never be as good of a DPS in PVP, comapred to a PT.

If your primary focus is just running Ops, then stick with the Merc - You probably won't want to go through rerolling and gearing just to have a PT, in that case.

Mercs aren't necessarily better a DPS, compared to a PT, they just get a 30m Interrupt and a long mez CC. A good PT will also always be chosen over a mediocre Merc. If you play your AC like poo, you'll always be picked last for Ops, regardless of what class/role you choose.

Yeah I think I might just say F it and roll PT. I will most likely be doing more pvp than pve. If I don't get into ops then oh well. Thank you for the reply

Edited by detowne

Yeah I think I might just say F it and roll PT. I will most likely be doing more pvp than pve. If I don't get into ops then oh well. Thank you for the reply

Powertechs are more than viable dps for Operations. Raids usually like to bring along 2 melee and 2 ranged dps. It is optimal to bring along 2 marauders, because they do more single-target damage, but powertechs have 2 important advantages over the marauder:

1. AOE: Powertech AOE is far better than marauders. Some fights, like Kephess nightmare require extraordinary AOE and having a powertech in the group helps a lot.

2. Burst: Powertechs have the best burst in the game. They are able to dish out tens of thousands of damage in a few sec without relying on a lot of luck with crits (Powetechs crit about 75% of the time when explosive fuel is up). Burst is necessary for several fights, and marauders pale in comparison to powertech dps.

Powetechs are viable end-game raid dps. They put up a few hundred less dps than the marauder, but their aoe and burst make them a good addition to a raid.

Powertechs are more than viable dps for Operations. Raids usually like to bring along 2 melee and 2 ranged dps. It is optimal to bring along 2 marauders, because they do more single-target damage, but powertechs have 2 important advantages over the marauder:

1. AOE: Powertech AOE is far better than marauders. Some fights, like Kephess nightmare require extraordinary AOE and having a powertech in the group helps a lot.

2. Burst: Powertechs have the best burst in the game. They are able to dish out tens of thousands of damage in a few sec without relying on a lot of luck with crits (Powetechs crit about 75% of the time when explosive fuel is up). Burst is necessary for several fights, and marauders pale in comparison to powertech dps.

Powetechs are viable end-game raid dps. They put up a few hundred less dps than the marauder, but their aoe and burst make them a good addition to a raid.

Thanks! You have given me something to work towards. I was thinking about making a marauder but it seems like they are EVERYWHERE.

1) Absolutely yes.

2) PT has very reliable burst, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it best. Pyro PT and Carnage Marauder are far and away the most desirable in terms of on-demand burst ability. MM Sniper is also very strong in that regard.

But most importantly, you missed:

3) Mobility. PT has near-complete freedom of movement within a 10m radius circle around a target. So long as they get in once every 12s or so for a Rocket Punch, they can output peak DPS from anywhere in that circle.

Regardless of the paper numbers and the leaderboards, PT is an incredible DPS to have in a raid group because it is so consistent. It will blow anything except Marauder out of the water for pure DPS, and is much *easier* to maintain DPS on than Marauder.

Bloodthirst is useful, but I'd seriously prefer a PT to a 2nd Marauder in an Ops group. An off-taunt, a grapple, very easy, consistent DPS. What's not to like?

As a matter of fact, my current Ops group runs with 2 PTs, a Marauder, and a Sniper. The only fight that causes any sort of headache is Z&T, and that just requires a little coordination and awareness on the part of the PTs to trade sides each leap due to Fearful, and keeping range so that the PT switching to Zorn doesn't pick it up by mistake. The rest of the time, it's just utter domination due to the sheer DPS/burst from the entire group.

3) Mobility. PT has near-complete freedom of movement within a 10m radius circle around a target. So long as they get in once every 12s or so for a Rocket Punch, they can output peak DPS from anywhere in that circle.

that is dependant on your spec. i do not use RP(SS) and i parse higher that when i do. i am running 8/8/25.

so, you can stay at 10m while producing excellent DPS, and avoid most AOEs and such.

Go PT...you will not be disappointed, unless you just don't care for the class and how it plays.

it's functionality and performance is without question.

1) Absolutely yes.

2) PT has very reliable burst, though I wouldn't go so far as to call it best. Pyro PT and Carnage Marauder are far and away the most desirable in terms of on-demand burst ability. MM Sniper is also very strong in that regard.

Regardless of the paper numbers and the leaderboards, PT is an incredible DPS to have in a raid group because it is so consistent. It will blow anything except Marauder out of the water for pure DPS, and is much *easier* to maintain DPS on than Marauder.

Bloodthirst is useful, but I'd seriously prefer a PT to a 2nd Marauder in an Ops group. An off-taunt, a grapple, very easy, consistent DPS. What's not to like?

As a matter of fact, my current Ops group runs with 2 PTs, a Marauder, and a Sniper. The only fight that causes any sort of headache is Z&T, and that just requires a little coordination and awareness on the part of the PTs to trade sides each leap due to Fearful, and keeping range so that the PT switching to Zorn doesn't pick it up by mistake. The rest of the time, it's just utter domination due to the sheer DPS/burst from the entire group.

Yeah the more research I do the more I'm finding PT to be pretty viable at end game. I've decided to level one and can't wait to get started. Thanks a lot for the info.

that is dependant on your spec. i do not use RP(SS) and i parse higher that when i do. i am running 8/8/25.

so, you can stay at 10m while producing excellent DPS, and avoid most AOEs and such.

Go PT...you will not be disappointed, unless you just don't care for the class and how it plays.

it's functionality and performance is without question.

My real concerns were end game dps because I don't really like tanking. I mean I bear tanked in wow up until cata and I was good at it but I got bored. So who knows I may end up tanking when it's all said and done. I really like pvp and this is where PT's look like a lot of fun to me. The only problem is I already leveled a merc so the story will be same ol same ol. Oh well. Thanks for the response.

So do you put 2 into Cardio and 2 into Infrared, instead of investing into Iron Fist?

2 in cardio, 2 in jets.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=582095

has some good info, either way or spec you choose.

i choose to kite, and stay ~9.85m out on most if not all encounters. every once in awhile i will hit RP just cuz i like the rifle butt stroke to the face animation (VG), but my parses have shown me (with my spec and playstyle) that FB/CGC > RP...and over time, even with the greater proc chance, FB/CGC > RP in the long run, or fights > 6 minutes.

i have all kinds of info posted, parses, testing, etc. if u care to dig thru my posts :)

*EDIT* and i am in 61's, not BiS.

also, i did take 2 in Iron Fist while testing the DPS differences. FB/CGC still > RP

*corrected for PT audience*

Edited by T-Assassin

My real concerns were end game dps because I don't really like tanking. I mean I bear tanked in wow up until cata and I was good at it but I got bored. So who knows I may end up tanking when it's all said and done. I really like pvp and this is where PT's look like a lot of fun to me. The only problem is I already leveled a merc so the story will be same ol same ol. Oh well. Thanks for the response.

you'll be "tanking" quite a bit if you're not guarded, and don't slack on DPS...

i do :)

you'll be "tanking" quite a bit if you're not guarded, and don't slack on DPS...

i do :)

Lol yep. On Zorn last night after pulling agro 4 times before the first jump.

Tank: Olos you're not supposed to be tanking today.

Me: what I wasn't even taunting.

This discussion got me interested, so I did a little bit of testing (emphasis on little). Over about 1.5-2 minutes, I found the slightly less chance of rail shot proc'ing meant heat management was a little harder, but about 50 dps more.

Spec and approximate gear used: http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/character/097cce6a-3e89-4773-8728-d681559b0689

FB/CGC was hitting for approximately 1300+549. I forgot the individual crits, but combined it was as 3.4-3.6K. This is without the additional damage from HI. RP was hitting for about 1500-1600, criting for 2.9K. That was with IF. Both cost 16 heat. I got my friend to do a little testing as well. He was getting about the same DPS with a rapid shots/FB two button combo as he was with the normal rotation for that 7/6/28 build. I'm going to see if I can convince our best DPS to change and give it a go.

here's what mine looks like (8/8/25) in 61's. (63/61/61 MH&OH, 63/61 bracer) 99.89/35/75/~1050.

http://www.torparse.com/a/93926/4/0/Damage+Dealt

i've yet to get better with any "normal" spec using SS(RP).

you had me on the ropes last week, i tried your spec. On an operation dummy sure it works. In a raid it does not. The amount of DPS you lose not taking the burnout ability is monumental. For one it adds 30% crit chance to both your IM(witch you dont use) and your dot from FB so your looking around 70% crit chance and 95% when EF is up. Also spamming flame burst over and over does not give a chance for your CGC dot to tick at all. While trying this spec i lost almost 2-300 dps on some fights.

Using rocket punch is the way to go. The reason i think this is, assuming you have your IM up(which it should always be) and your CGC dot combined with the 3.5-3.9k rocket punch(what mine crit ) your getting more dps.just looking at avg. dmg from a few parses i've done those 3 combined your looking at roughly 3900 dmg hitting together. If i took crits of all 3 that 5000 dmg at that point(which would be like 30% burn phase). And even if none crit its still 2722 all of which would come up on top rather than just using FB. Even with the 2 points in hot iron your flame burst crits are roughly 700-1000 dmg lower than RP. You add the 2 dots ticking and its really not even close.

Edited by wetslampigduex

While I agree with your overall point (especially on burnout, though I think its only 3% crit?, plus the execute effect)

Spammung fb should still get CBC ticks, check on mmo mechanics, they talk about the interaction between a small bit of Lawrence and cgc dot.

Also, unless you have someone armor debugging for you on dummy, rocket punch will be even more affected by armor, while fb is elemental damage.

While I agree with your overall point (especially on burnout, though I think its only 3% crit?, plus the execute effect)

Spammung fb should still get CBC ticks, check on mmo mechanics, they talk about the interaction between a small bit of Lawrence and cgc dot.

Also, unless you have someone armor debugging for you on dummy, rocket punch will be even more affected by armor, while fb is elemental damage.

^ your right im not awake, 30% dmg increase 3% to crit. As far as the FB yeah your still gonna get the cbc ticks but assuming you jsut used FB and the CGC dot is burning away you get a bit more out of a rp b/c the 2 dots(IM and CGC) ticking rather than his FB with just the CGC... he doesnt use IM at all

Edited by wetslampigduex

^ your right im not awake, 30% dmg increase 3% to crit. As far as the FB yeah your still gonna get the cbc ticks but assuming you jsut used FB and the CGC dot is burning away you get a bit more out of a rp b/c the 2 dots(IM and CGC) ticking rather than his FB with just the CGC... he doesnt use IM at all

i've never claimed this to be the be all, end all spec. as a matter of fact, i've even doubted its DPS potential versus OPs bosses.

but, OPs mobs are just a small percentage of things i shoot during the week. sure, if all you do is kill mobs with high HP, then my spec is prolly not best.

i take into consideration FP's, OPs, trash, dailies, etc. i don't have the luxury to test my spec on OPs bosses on a regular basis.

so, OPs bosses <30% HP, i cannot argue. but, that makes up approx 2% of my DPS time throughout the week. (i could prolly respec specifically for boss fights, but i prefer my playstyle of 9.5m+)

and while i bring up the range, i can guarantee i take less HPM than any other spec. i don't run with a solid OPs group everytime, often times PUG'n for weeklies. i'm the last survivor on wipes 90% of the time. (or the first to die :p )

lots of variables to take into consideration.

if i was in a top tier raid guild, with a consistant, solid group (that i trusted the healers), i would probably go 6/7/28.

but, for what i do, and what my testing has shown, 8/8/25 does just fine. (go have a look at torparse. only ran MP last week, twice (daily GF)...check out the numbers. again, 61's...NOT BiS.

*EDIT* and i would guess the majority of players are in a similar situation as i, and would benefit more from 8/8/25.

Edited by T-Assassin