The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

need help with dps..

cIear

Im on the training dummy and i still cant hit past 1300 for some reason.

Sharpshooter Spec'd

stats:

all un-stimmed.

2085 cunniing

660 bonus dmg

36% crit chance

75% crit mult

101% accuracy

DG relic of cerelan nova

DG relic of boundless ages.

around all 61s in my gear.

from what i hear, someone in my gear should be hitting around 17 - 1800 on teh ops dummy.

heres my rotation its pretty simple.

- flourish

- jump into cover for auto charged burst

- trickshot

- speedshot

- aim shot

- trickshot

rinse and repeat for 3 mins.

please help. i hvae the higher dps class and im doing such low numbrs still.. why???

using mox for parsing

Edited by cIear

yea 1800 seems very hard. I mean I understand that we miss alot with our offhand and most of my abilities are 'ranged' and not 'tech' as sharpshooters. but there has to be some way to get dps above 1300 at least.

In Campaign level gear 1800 DPS is definitely doable. I've seen legitimate parses/videos of dummy rotations as high as ~2k in Campaign or just over 2.1k in Dread Guard level gear (depending slightly on spec), but anywhere in the ballbark of 1700-1900 is probably more common, depending on spec, gear and buffs/stims.

Missing out on Quickdraw does hurt us a bit, but most other classes are in the same boat. Likewise, if you're full Dirty Fighting you miss out on DPS from the Cold Blooded talent as well.

The first three things that come to mind when I've seen people under-performing on dummies are

- Energy Management. I'm assuming your rotation is solid, but if it's not then managing your energy wrong and using too few/many Flurries will really kill your DPS.

- Lag/Latency. Depending on how high your latency normally is or whether or not you're using a ship dummy or a fleet dummy can make a pretty big difference, and nothing you can really do about that. It shouldn't affect you THAT much though.

- Your APM (Actions Per Minute). This is probably the thing that messes up the most people. If you're using bad keybinds, clicking (or worse, SLOWLY clicking) or just pausing too frequently in between casts your DPS will suffer very greatly. It can easily add up to 400 or more DPS if you're really slow. There are some exceptions, but a very good rule of thumb is that you *always* want to be doing *something*, even if it's just your base attack. Don't clip your previous shots, but don't sit around waiting in between casts, either.

Other than those things, I'd highly recommend browsing through the mmo-mechanics forums (specifically, http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-953.html) for tips on improving your rotation.

Edited by Synavix

Your APM (Actions Per Minute). This is probably the thing that messes up the most people. If you're using bad keybinds, clicking (or worse, SLOWLY clicking) or just pausing too frequently in between casts your DPS will suffer very greatly.

Very much this. Simply not pushing enough buttons is by far the biggest thing most players do that reduces their DPS.

:p

Edited by Tibbel

• 2 weeks later...
Im on the training dummy and i still cant hit past 1300 for some reason.

Sharpshooter Spec'd

stats:

all un-stimmed.

2085 cunniing

660 bonus dmg

36% crit chance

75% crit mult

101% accuracy

DG relic of cerelan nova

DG relic of boundless ages.

around all 61s in my gear.

from what i hear, someone in my gear should be hitting around 17 - 1800 on teh ops dummy.

heres my rotation its pretty simple.

- flourish

- jump into cover for auto charged burst

- trickshot

- speedshot

- aim shot

- trickshot

rinse and repeat for 3 mins.

please help. i hvae the higher dps class and im doing such low numbrs still.. why???

using mox for parsing

I've been playing around with SS , since ive been basically DF / DF-Sab on my sniper since launch.. still need a lot of practice! For your opener on the dummy try this:

(WITHOUT Burst Volley)

XS (get into cover, pop relics/adrenal) - AS - (FS) - TS - (SL) CB - CB - (FoB) - TS - SS - (FoB)

(WITH Burst Volley):

XS (get into cover, pop relics/adrenal) - AS - (FS) - TS - (SL) CB - CB - (FoB) - TS - SS - (BV) - SS

Then continue with::

(FS) - AS - TS - (SL) CB - CB - (FoB) - TS - SS - (FoB)

By the end of Speed Shot, Aimed Shot should be up. You may need to do a Flurry of Bolts after Speed Shot because sometimes Aimed Shot still needs a half second before coming off cooldown. You can repeat the above rotation indefinitely and never run below optimum energy levels. With the above rotation you will also see that Speed Shot lags slightly behind Trick Shot in damage done. Also this is not taking into account the usage of Cool Head everytime it's up. I think one way of converting energy into damage (from Cool Head) is by spamming CB when Aimed Shot / Speed Shot / Trick Shot is on cooldown while sticking to the above rotation.

It changes a lot when you need to use Cool Head, XS and Burst Volley throughout the 5 minute dummy fight. And you need to keep those 3 abilities, especially XS and BV on cooldown to be able to do your MAX DPS. Using XS and BV everytime is up will throw the above rotation into disarray lol. I still need some practice but I think you will want to CAST XS only when you have the Alacrity buff from Burst Volley AND you want Aimed Shot / Trick Shot / Speed Shot to be on cooldown while you do so.

Abbreviations:

XS = XS FREIGHTER FLYBY

FS = FLOURISH SHOT

AS = AIMED SHOT

TS = TRICK SHOT

CB = CHARGED BURST

SS = SPEED SHOT

SL = SMUGGLER'S LUCK

FoB = FLURRY OF BOLTS

Edited by paowee