'Female only' and 'male only' gear

winterjane

I realised something during discussions on a couple of other threads tonight, when as ever some of us wearily sighed, as an aside, over the plethora of 'Slave Girl Looks' in this game. (It isn't that they exist. Just that there is so much of them compared to other social looks.)

I realised that although I have been roleplaying since Dungeons & Dragons came in a red box (kindly translate as 'perhaps somewhat over thirty years' to spare my feelings) - I simply cannot recall any other game that contains gear segregated by sex of character.

Historical games where certain character classes were off-limits to females - yep. Though most GMs would modify that to 'unless said female is In Disguise'.

Far-future games where roles were allocated strictly by gender - only some very minor settings.

Games in which the male and female artwork differed vastly for what was supposedly the same armour set? Oh lord yes, more than I can count.

But I don't ever recall a game that says, as this does "If you want Elegant Social gear, girls must buy frocks and men must buy trousers. No girls! You may not have the trousers option!" or "Here are several slave outfits you can wear in our game. But only on female toons."

Can anyone else think of another game that does this?

Females are not forced to wear skimpy gear its just there for them should they want it.

There are TONS of unisex pants in game, along with robes for both sexes. Just because there are some items that are sex specific doesn't mean they are forcing that on you or anyone

Females are not forced to wear skimpy gear its just there for them should they want it.

There are TONS of unisex pants in game, along with robes for both sexes. Just because there are some items that are sex specific doesn't mean they are forcing that on you or anyone

I never said anything was forced on anybody (some of my characters wear this stuff, others would rip your face off if you tried to make them).

I asked if anyone recalled another game where all gear was not available to each gender, because I'm actually curious!

Weeeellllll, I don't know how many people would actually want to see a man in a metal thong, but I certainly would like women to be able to wear the Social I diplomatic outfit in blue and black. You can even preview it on a woman and it shows up - looks quite nice.

Then again, I have no desire to actually put my female characters or companions in the dancer stuff in general. I've only had one of my characters wear it once, when my agent and a bunch of her colleagues were RPing infiltrating the Hutt palace on Quesh dressed as entertainers. What kinds of sexy outfits would you want for RPing situations with your male characters? Again, I can't imagine most people finding the metal underwear very attractive on a man, but what else might be attractive instead?

EDIT: To actually answer your question, I can't think of any game with items that couldn't be equipped by one gender or other. Baldur's Gate even had an item that swapped your gender and one companion's storyline in BG2 involved such a thing happening. I don't remember that it then became impossible to use any item that one had previously been able to use.

Edited by Estelindis

Wizardry 8, one of the best RPGs ever, has gender-spesific gear.

There's not really that many gender-spesific outfits in TOR though. There's like 4? That blue noble one (male), slave girl, dancer and 3 more varieties of dancer/slave girl, basically a bit of both.

Edited by Pscyon

I never said anything was forced on anybody (some of my characters wear this stuff, others would rip your face off if you tried to make them).

I asked if anyone recalled another game where all gear was not available to each gender, because I'm actually curious!

Yes there was another game there were certain outifts (revealing skirt, revealing bikini) in SWG that only a girl could wear at least when I played.

Star Wars Galaxies had a large amount of clothing that was only available to females and only a few pieces that were restricted to males.

NWN (and many other DnD games, though perhaps not online ones) had gender specific clothing yes. And even in games where gender is not specified, the look or an armour will be determined by the gender of your character and often race and class as well.

Here are some pics of Lineage 2 armour showing the different looks depending on all of the above - http://lineage2.fansite.cz/download/2010/06/destino.jpg

I miss that game, it was so ahead of its time :(

In many ways I find the SWTOR approach to social gear of 'girls get dresses, boys get trousers' far more honest than, say, the Wow approach to the Black Mageweave set....

And that's refreshing.

And yet...and yet...I'd still kinda like the option of buying the trousers as well as the dress. Because I'm just that sad a costume junkie. If that means men being allowed to squeeze into the dancer costumes, well...I dare you!

Weeeellllll, I don't know how many people would actually want to see a man in a metal thong,

Nothing wrong with men wearing tight and revealing clothing. What if your character happens to like wearing things like it? Bioware games should promote role playing and character development. What would a homosexual crime lord do with his male slaves if they are not allowed to wear skimpy outfits?

It's also eye candy for the female players, so you can put your male romance in the skimpy outfits like the guys do for their female companions.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.