Twi'lek Lore and Skin Colours

Leiralei

So I found out that the colours and religion as listed in the Twi'lek Lexicon are not considered to be canon, and the entire dictionary is merely fanfic with a few correct things listed. However, where do I find out what is canon and what is not?

So far found skin colours but not necessarily words for the types, especially not for the common types such as blue, brown, orange, green, and yellow.

Yuthura Ban ~ Purple

Tott Doneeta ~ Gray

Kharis Fenn ~ White

Suu ~ Pink

Shakka ~ Lethian (Red)

Aayla Secura ~ Rutian (Turquoise)

Only the Lethan and Rutian races of Twi'lek have been named in-canon. Pink and Purple are also considered part of the Lethan race in addition to Red. All shades of Blue are Rutian. The other races of Twi'lek don't have canon names yet.

There's an extensive collection of fanon lore that's been created over the course of several years that might prove useful. Much of it was put together by various people and groups in the Star Wars: Galaxies world, but it's really pretty robust. As a player of a twi'lek, I've found it really useful.

I'd encourage you to check it out here and here.

Only Lethan and Rutian as far as canon is concerned, what is interesting is that almost all Lethan Twi'leks have been Sith/Dark Jedi and are the rarest where as Rutians are believed to be the most common Twi'leks.

Which ends up translating to Lethan being the most commonly RPed colors, it seems like.

When that happens, I've always wondered if we should stop RPing Lethan being rare if 75% of Twi'leks in the environment around us are Lethan. It kind of makes sense. :)

I think Lethans get picked for Dark Jedi/Sith so often simply because red is a color of choice for many of those (same thing with the Zabrak, where they even limited red skincolor to the Empire-side in TOR, inunderstandably! Also other races have similar stuff, like the Devaronians).

There's NO indication that red skin has any correlation with evilness, agression or any other 'dark' trait.

I really like how they implemented the lekku-twitching in TOR (although I'm still not certain whether it's intended or just a graphic-bug ;)). What I find strange however, ist that in TOR, Twi'leks never wear their lekkus resting on their shoulders or even wrapped around them, although this has been a very common practice also in many canonical works.

remember our characters are exceptional individuals. Lethans may well be rare in the greater society, however they may for various cultural reasons be more common among the "Adventureing classes" also if Lethans are more common among the Sith it's possiable that Lethans simply make up a greater percentage of twi'leks among the sith then otherwise. MOST Twi'leks among the empire apparently can trace their linage back to POWs taken dureing the Great Hyperspace War. if for some reason the Sith simply took more Lethan Twi'leks prisoner (perhaps due to the sith species red skin they thus saw red skin as simply a more desireable trait period) this could have the result of Lethans being more common among the Sith's twi'lek population.

Another factor to consider is cosmetics, it's entirely possiable that among the twi'leks they dye their skin (given the state of technology being able to change your skin colour is proably child's play) considering how popular dyeing hair is with women this certinly is a possiability

Pink and Purple are also considered part of the Lethan race in addition to Red.

Oh so purple is considered Lethan? Where is that listed? From what I read on Wookiepedia and some complaints about non-Canon info, only turquoise is Rutian, blue is not named. It would make sense to be for dark blue, blue and turquoise to be related, but then where is the line drawn?

I'm fine with Fanon for my RP - especially since so little is truly considered Canon about the Twi'lek - but looking for as-solidly-known-to-be-Canon infos as much as possible.

So please if you have a piece of information, annotate it to help me out! Thanks. :)

Edited by Leiralei

well, in the end, these lines can never be drawn definitely. it's like with humans when's a man black or white, when he's got ancestors from both? and there are also caucasian people with lighter skin than others ...

so, why shouldn't rutians have different shades of blue? or lethans different shades of red?

Oh so purple is considered Lethan? Where is that listed? From what I read on Wookiepedia and some complaints about non-Canon info, only turquoise is Rutian, blue is not named. It would make sense to be for dark blue, blue and turquoise to be related, but then where is the line drawn?

I'm fine with Fanon for my RP - especially since so little is truly considered Canon about the Twi'lek - but looking for as-solidly-known-to-be-Canon infos as much as possible.

So please if you have a piece of information, annotate it to help me out! Thanks. :)

I guess I had always looked at it from more of an artistic view of pigment: that the terms had to do with a range of color rather than a specific shade (pink is a form of red, and a lot of aesthetically pleasing purples (in terms of cosmetics) have more red than blue).

I've never gotten into using either name too much, personally, because it doesn't matter that much to me. There are traits that are a lot more important about describing an individual than their race or sub-race -- but I know that attitude sort of flies in the face of traditional RPG character creation somewhat, hehe.

As someone who RP'ed twi'leks a lot on Star Wars Galaxies, I made a skin colour database for reference in our guild back there. This was based on several fanon sites, including the Temple of Kika'lekki (FYI, that site's been offline for a couple of years now). Using the data found on these sites, I made a colour wheel. The main 5 colours would be yellow (tolian), blue (rutian), brown (dorian), green (tukian) and purple (tyrian). The more exotic colours were white (torran), black (kerran), and finally red (lethan). You can find a copy of the wiki we had for it below, as well as a link to the colour wheel (since I haven't found out how to add images to this forum :o )

I want to stress that this is purely fanon, but it worked out fine for RP on SWG. :)

Twi'leks can be found in all colours, some more common than others. Since the twi'leks had not always been so intertwined as they were during the time of the Galactic Civil War, different clans originally existed of monochrome members. As most twi'leks were highly religious, these monochrome clans all worshipped their deities in different ways.

Rutian twi'leks

Blue skinned, these twi'leks are also known as water twi'leks. They descended from an underground clan that practiced worship through the observation, use, and appreciation of water and its various forms. Pigment colour: Teal to dark blue. Aayla Secura, Xiaan Amersu, Nilim Bril, Orn Free Taa, Ann and Tann Gella, Numa, and Alema Rar, Mission Vao were rutian twi'leks.

Dorian twi'leks

Brown skinned, these twi'leks are also known as stone twi'leks. They descended from an aboveworld clan that practiced worship through the creation of great stone monuments. Pigment colour: Brown. Rianna Saren was a dorian twi'lek.

Tukian twi'leks

Green skinned, these twi'leks are also known as spirit twi'leks. They descended from an aboveworld clan that practiced worship through spiritual devotion, prayers, and the conducting of ceremonies, usually involving plants and fungi. Pigment colour: Light green to dark green. Oola, Dia Passik, and Laranth Tarak were tukian twi'leks.

Tyrian twi'leks

Purple skinned, these twi'leks are also known as music twi'leks. They descended from a clan that lived in aboveworld caves, much like a mix of both worlds, and practiced worship through music, dance, song, and poetry. Pigment colour: Dark purple to light purple and bright pink. Yuthura Ban, Kopecz, and Lunae Minx were tyrian twi'leks.

Tolian twi'leks

Yellow or orange skinned, these twi'leks are also known as fire twi'leks. They descended from an underground clan that practiced worship through the mastery and use of fire. Pigment colour: Orange to yellow. Tott Doneeta, Cham Syndulla, and Ayy Vida were tolian twi'leks.

Torran twi'leks

White skinned, these twi'leks were something of a rarity. They lacked a gene to give their skin any kind of pigmentation. Usually they had red eyes. Pigment colour: White to grey and pale pink. Lyn Me, Boc Aseca, and Bib Fortuna were torran twi'leks.

Kerran twi'leks

Black skinned, these twi'leks were even rarer than Torrans. A gene defect gave them a very dark colouring. Their eyes were usually very dark as well. Pigment colour: Dark grey to black.

Lethan twi'leks

Red skinned, these twi'leks were the rarest among their species. They can show up in any of the five clans and it is unknown what causes the red pigmentation. Efforts have been made to determine its cause, but it is believed to be a genetic anomaly. Most lethans spend their entire lives in fear and in hiding due to slave owners being willing to risk anything to own one. Pigment colour: Red. Shakka, Darth Ruyn, Darth Talon, and B'ink Utrila were lethan twi'leks.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/1835/lekcolourwheelsmall.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I know I'm late to the party here, but I'm working on sourcing all of the Twi'lek lore floating around. It's nowhere near complete, but my Universal Dictionary of Twi'leki Terms includes the sources of a lot of words. Fanon sources will be noted as clearly as canon sources, but I'm only updating the project sporadically for the time being.

Yes, this is a shameless plug, but it's also me commiserating on the difficulties of discerning between canon and fanon. The dictionary is my attempt to make it easier.