Pvp?

xNYROx

You should try it and see if you enjoy it. There's a lot of posts griping about it, but there're a lot of posts griping about everything else too. I've been PVPing regularly since launch and haven't gotten sick of it yet.

Gearing's not bad, and much easier to get than previously at level 50. Sub-50 wear decent PVE gear/stats and you'll be fine.

Edited by Joesixxpack

You should try it and see if you enjoy it. There's a lot of posts griping about it, but there're a lot of posts griping about everything else too. I've been PVPing regularly since launch and haven't gotten sick of it yet.

Gearing's not bad, and much easier to get than previously at level 50. Sub-50 wear decent PVE gear/stats and you'll be fine.

What about concealment ops are they any good in pvp here?

stealth characters do play an important role in all of the warzones, they're just a little hard to get good at. you'll never do as much damage as a pure dps or directly shield allies from damage or have high healing numbers, but my infiltration shadow that i pvp with is usually responsible for the wins. either distracting multiple opponents so your team has an advantage or stealth capping objectives are what you're going to be doing. i'd suggest getting practice at pre-50 warzones first as it's a little difficult to master but don't get upset if your team doesn't know how to capitalize on what you're doing at those early levels. it's a little frustrating when you're waiting for the perfect time to strike and a guardian leaps in bringing loads of enemy reinforcements, or you're keeping 3 enemies away from objective and all of a sudden you've got a dps and heals trying to "help you out" instead of capping a node. so in short if you like being really important but under appreciated you'll be fine. it's good for a lone-wolf style of gameplay, just don't worry about your numbers at the end of the match. :)

How is PvP in this game? Have not tried it yet because I heard it was bad. Also how hard is gearing up in PvP?

The biggest problem with PvP is that the warzone match scheduling is random so a team full of n00bs like you will occassionally get matched against one or even two 4-man premade groups who have the best gear, are far more skilled than you and are on voice chat to boot.

The best way to work around the problem above is to find a guild and queue with 3 other friends who are in voice chat. This won't fix the fact that you are still a PvP n00b and have weak gear but you will learn faster and win more games because of the improved coordination between you and the 3 buddies you queue with.

I like PvP warzones myself. Open world PvP happens now and then but is a minor part of the game.

The biggest problem with PvP is that the warzone match scheduling is random so a team full of n00bs like you will occassionally get matched against one or even two 4-man premade groups who have the best gear, are far more skilled than you and are on voice chat to boot.

The best way to work around the problem above is to find a guild and queue with 3 other friends who are in voice chat. This won't fix the fact that you are still a PvP n00b and have weak gear but you will learn faster and win more games because of the improved coordination between you and the 3 buddies you queue with.

I like PvP warzones myself. Open world PvP happens now and then but is a minor part of the game.

dont you get commendations even if you lose though so you will gear eventually?

Also whats the difference between a smuggler and a Operative if you go concealment?

Edited by xNYROx

dont you get commendations even if you lose though so you will gear eventually?

Also whats the difference between a smuggler and a Operative if you go concealment?

Yes, you do get commendations when losing. You get quite a bit more if you win. Win or lose, I think you need to get 3 medals to earn a respectable amount. I think at 8 medals commendations or more you get the maximum commendations available.

smuggler/operative are mirror classes. From a play perspective, all mirror classes are identical. Only the names of the classes and abilities have been changed.

Again, you will have more fun even when you lose, win more and learn faster if you group and get in voice chat with friends. If you can group with someone who is experienced in PvP that will also provide a big boost to the learning curve (compared with only grouping with other n00bs).

Check out the sticky posts in the PvP forum to learn basics. E.g. the resolve sticky is great. Ignore the folks who complain about the resolve system (people saying "I hate it, it is broken") and focus on learning how resolve works and how to use it. E.g. don't white bar the huttball carrier unless you are certain to kill him (e.g. with a fire pull).

Good luck!

Edited by funkiestj

The drawback of the stealth classes is your benefit to the team isn't easily measured. Even when your actions single handedly win the match You will rarely top the scoreboard at the end of a match, and most Mvp votes are based on those numbers.

If you PvP do it for the fun of it. If you just want to be the player with the biggest numbers so you can wave you epeen it may not be for you.

The drawback of the stealth classes is your benefit to the team isn't easily measured. Even when your actions single handedly win the match You will rarely top the scoreboard at the end of a match, and most Mvp votes are based on those numbers.

Truth. It reminds me of this joke

A drunk loses the keys to his house and is looking for them under a lamppost. A policeman comes over and asks what he’s doing.

“I’m looking for my keys” he says. “I lost them over there”.

The policeman looks puzzled. “Then why are you looking for them all the way over here?”

“Because the light is so much better”.

Damage/protection/heals numbers are where the light is. Did you slow the enemy enough so a teammate could get a node cap? No number for that. Were you an amazing node guard? No number for that. Did you help your team come from behind by solo capping a node? OK, folks will probably notice but there is still no big number for this. Did you render a dangerous opponent ineffective (e.g. kept their usually excellent sniper from controlling mid in huttball)? You'll get some damage and kills for this but you won't top the charts. The guy you locked down is more likely to recognize your effectiveness (you get marked next time he sees you in WZ -- the best compliment) than your teammates.

Playing a stealth class is a lot of fun in PvP but, as mentioned by the previous poster, don't be surprised if you are ignored during MVP voting in favor of the #1 DPS and #1 heals. OTOH, if you group up, it is common practice for a group to spread MVP votes around within the group.

Edited by funkiestj

what do MVP votes do?

not much. you get 1 extra commendation for each MVP vote. You probably also get a little more XP and creds. MVP votes are not a big deal but if you play 200 matches and get 1 vote each, that is 200 more commendations vs the 10,000 - 20,000 commendations (50-100 comms/match * 200 matches) you earned without MVP votes. (I'm assuming a poor win rate and medal rate when I say 50-100 comms / match).

not much. you get 1 extra commendation for each MVP vote. You probably also get a little more XP and creds. MVP votes are not a big deal but if you play 200 matches and get 1 vote each, that is 200 more commendations vs the 10,000 - 20,000 commendations (50-100 comms/match * 200 matches) you earned without MVP votes. (I'm assuming a poor win rate and medal rate when I say 50-100 comms / match).

ok thank you everyone for all the replies this has been very informative and helpful so far but I do have another more complicated question.

I used to play WoW and I was decent at PvP I guess...I was generally ranked in the top 10 in 2 vs 2 arena in our group....I usually played classes with alot of CC(for those who do not understand the term it means control effects or crowd control...ie stuns,sleeps,paralyze,slow ect...and allows you to control the pace of fights)...so I generally played a Frost mage or a Rogue.....so I am wondering which class has the most CC effects/skills?

This is my last question for now...sorry I asked so many.

ok thank you everyone for all the replies this has been very informative and helpful so far but I do have another more complicated question.

I used to play WoW and I was decent at PvP I guess...I was generally ranked in the top 10 in 2 vs 2 arena in our group....I usually played classes with alot of CC(for those who do not understand the term it means control effects or crowd control...ie stuns,sleeps,paralyze,slow ect...and allows you to control the pace of fights)...so I generally played a Frost mage or a Rogue.....so I am wondering which class has the most CC effects/skills?

This is my last question for now...sorry I asked so many.

Sorcerors, Ops, Assassins and Snipers (or Sages, Scoundrels, Shadows and Gunslingers) have good CC. Madness Sorcerors might fit what you are looking for (or perhaps a lightning / madness hybrid). Or perhaps a Concealment Op.

Most PvP mistakes in this game come from bad management of Resolve. I recommend you read up on how to manage resolve and what affects it and to what degree it is affected. CCing wildly in a warzone can lead to terrible results for your team or for you, as a full resolve bar can either result in an easy score in Huttball or a botched cap on a node or your destruction by a powerful burst class just waiting for you to give them their favorite green light in the world.

Edited by ebado

Sorcerors, Ops, Assassins and Snipers (or Sages, Scoundrels, Shadows and Gunslingers) have good CC. Madness Sorcerors might fit what you are looking for (or perhaps a lightning / madness hybrid). Or perhaps a Concealment Op.

Most PvP mistakes in this game come from bad management of Resolve. I recommend you read up on how to manage resolve and what affects it and to what degree it is affected. CCing wildly in a warzone can lead to terrible results for your team or for you, as a full resolve bar can either result in an easy score in Huttball or a botched cap on a node or your destruction by a powerful burst class just waiting for you to give them their favorite green light in the world.

On the flipside once you learn the balance of resolve an CC you can almost turn CC to an offensive weapon. I've been shut down by good operatives and scoundrels; they pop out of stealth behind me and no matter how I try I can't escape. It's bascally stunlock till death. I try it on my own scoundrel and suck at it. :p

Whats the best lvl to start PvPing?

I'd say as soon as you can. PvP is great for levelling with the daily at early levels - good whack of exp plus comms. If you need money then use those comms to buy medpacks and sell them if you're not likely to need them later.

stealth characters do play an important role in all of the warzones, they're just a little hard to get good at. you'll never do as much damage as a pure dps or directly shield allies from damage or have high healing numbers, but my infiltration shadow that i pvp with is usually responsible for the wins. either distracting multiple opponents so your team has an advantage or stealth capping objectives are what you're going to be doing. i'd suggest getting practice at pre-50 warzones first as it's a little difficult to master but don't get upset if your team doesn't know how to capitalize on what you're doing at those early levels. it's a little frustrating when you're waiting for the perfect time to strike and a guardian leaps in bringing loads of enemy reinforcements, or you're keeping 3 enemies away from objective and all of a sudden you've got a dps and heals trying to "help you out" instead of capping a node. so in short if you like being really important but under appreciated you'll be fine. it's good for a lone-wolf style of gameplay, just don't worry about your numbers at the end of the match. :)

I don't agree for 3 reasons. 1] Concealment operatives are really good at bursting a person down. 2] Healing operatives are currently the best healer in the game. 3] Jedi Shadows are great tanks when played correctly and absorb a lot of damage.

Anyways, pvp can be either some classes are great while other classes run away like cats.:eek:

There is a lot of burst and high damage abilities but their are also big heals and damage absorption.

So it all sort of balances out. But some teams are premades that unbalance everything. This can be quite annoying.:mad: and there is almost nothing you can do against it except make another premade.

Gear is simple to get in the 10-49 :D bracket but becomes harder at 50.:mad: Sorry about wall of text:)

Edited by Tmaxxz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.