Sentinel PVP Tree is FOCUS!

jaytrust

I wish this weren't true. I really don't like the playstyle of watchman or any dot classes typically. I just respecced into it @ level 25 and it feels clunky. Maybe I can get used to it. :/

Just stay with it. It's not all dots, because the moves themselves actually do have a DD component. Also, make sure you get Repelling Blows @ 26.

Watchman is just plain sick for single target damage. When you really need to take someone down, blow Zen and drop Cauterize and 3 stacks of Overload Saber and then just spam Slash. It's an easy gg after that.

Also, I'm not high enough level to experience it yet, but I'm willing to bet once @ 50 where you can have Swift Slash in focus, Dual Wield Mastery from Combat, and your 31 pt Merciless Slash, that would just border on the unreal.

Burst DPS is overrated in this game. Right now it's all about being able to stick to target and keep the steady damage up. If you can build enough focus and do your best to keep centering up at all times (saving Zen for when you need it) it's unbelievable.

Edited by Pheros

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still doing comparable damage as I was doing with other specs, it just doesn't feel like I am doing anything. I am also still trying to work out the rotation. Mainly figuring out 1v1s all over again is kinda annoying. I do however, like the trickle healing that gives me more medals/commedations. :D

I'm currently playing Watchman and i'm level 42. Like you I am a best in Warzones I am top damage every match aside from rare occasions and win the vast majority of my games. The one difference I note from your post is that I feel downright invincible 1v1 to the point were I feel overpowered so I will point out the things that I think make Watchman an amazing spec.

#1 Burns deal elemental damage which means they aren't mitigated by armor so when I'm up against anything other then the light armor classes I notice a big difference from my time spent as Combat.

#2 Centering generation, focus generation and heals. The heals Watchman has are amazing I can't count the number of times that 3% of my max health heal has saved my life coupled with a defensive ability like Guarded by the Force. The 100% critical chance and heal via Zen from centering is amazing and seems like I build centering so fast its always up.

#3 Watchman's slow is tacked on to one of there core abilities Cauterize, so you rarely ever need to spend extra focus or global to use leg sweep. This becomes even more prevalent once you get Mind Sear in tier 5 and then again when you get merciless slash since the chance of resetting the cool down on your Cauterize goes up.

#4 Merciless Slash, I wasn't sure I was going to like this ability since it costs so much focus and it doesn't benefit from many talents in the tree but I love it. One small issue I was having with this spec in earlier levels was the complete lack of burst damage but once I hit 40 have an ability on a varying 9-12 second cool down that hits for 2-3k critical depending on the target was awesome.

#5 2 seconds off of our interrupt cool down. pretty self explanatory :p

The one downside I do see in this spec is it can be kited if you have a lot of your abilities on cool down, which from looking at the tree is something Focus looks to deal with pretty well. The one upside to that is the few seconds we get off of Force Leap and the removal of the minimum range.

Overall I feel like the Sentinel is a really fun and very viable class though I think the high learning curve leads a lot of players to give up and just say the class or AC is bad before actually learning to play it. The Amount of control and mitigation I have in fights on such short cool downs actually surprised me since I had only made it to 24 in the beta. Glad to see there are other people who are enjoying the Sentinel as much as I am and not everyone is just re-rolling to an easier to learn Class/AC.

Edited by Jorha

I'm currently playing Watchman and i'm level 42. Like you I am a best in Warzones I am top damage every match aside from rare occasions and win the vast majority of my games. The one difference I note from your post is that I feel downright invincible 1v1 to the point were I feel overpowered so I will point out the things that I think make Watchman an amazing spec.

#1 Burns deal elemental damage which means they aren't mitigated by armor so when I'm up against anything other then the light armor classes I notice a big difference from my time spent as Combat.

#2 Centering generation, focus generation and heals. The heals Watchman has are amazing I can't count the number of times that 3% of my max health heal has saved my life coupled with a defensive ability like Guarded by the Force. The 100% critical chance and heal via Zen from centering is amazing and seems like I build centering so fast its always up.

#3 Watchman's slow is tacked on to one of there core abilities Cauterize, so you rarely ever need to spend extra focus or global to use leg sweep. This becomes even more prevalent once you get Mind Sear in tier 5 and then again when you get merciless slash since the chance of resetting the cool down on your Cauterize goes up.

#4 Merciless Slash, I wasn't sure I was going to like this ability since it costs so much focus and it doesn't benefit from many talents in the tree but I love it. One small issue I was having with this spec in earlier levels was the complete lack of burst damage but once I hit 40 have an ability on a varying 9-12 second cool down that hits for 2-3k critical depending on the target was awesome.

#5 2 seconds off of our interrupt cool down. pretty self explanatory :p

The one downside I do see in this spec is it can be kited if you have a lot of your abilities on cool down, which from looking at the tree is something Focus looks to deal with pretty well. The one upside to that is the few seconds we get off of Force Leap and the removal of the minimum range.

Overall I feel like the Sentinel is a really fun and very viable class though I think the high learning curve leads a lot of players to give up and just say the class or AC is bad before actually learning to play it. The Amount of control and mitigation I have in fights on such short cool downs actually surprised me since I had only made it to 24 in the beta. Glad to see there are other people who are enjoying the Sentinel as much as I am and not everyone is just re-rolling to an easier to learn Class/AC.

Great post, and you are right Focus shines in the ability not to be kited, you have no idea how many times zealous leap has change the course of a battle.

After reading your post especially point 5, 3, 2 pretty much have me leaning towards trying it out.

Edited by jaytrust

The consensus is starting to lean a bit toward Watchman for PvP with Focus a close second. I'm not saying this is incorrect, but the names sure seem counterintuitive. One would think the Combat spec simply by it's name would be on the higher end for dps.

It certainly felt that way when I spec'd into combat. However I'll be switching to Watchman now to test it out. I hate dots...

It certainly felt that way when I spec'd into combat. However I'll be switching to Watchman now to test it out. I hate dots...

I've always been a burst guy. Probably comes from my FF RPG days doing rediculous damage with single spells like meteor or weapon skills. From what I've read, it sounds like Combat is more burst oriented.

Just wanted to add something.

Stasis.

3s channel.

damage ticks 4 times though.

so, it gives all 4 stacks of singularity.

(also does more damage then you would think)

only 3 focus however.

Now, the 47s cd with focus talents, doesn't exactly make it short cd. but it can then be worked into dps rotations, esp for uber sweeps.

Of note. exhaust has an 18s cd with talents, while sweep and zleap are 15. Meaning, you can wait 3s for each zleap/sweep for exhaust to come up.

Exhaust and stasis damage do work vs bosses, even if they are cc immune.

Watchman is the best 1v1 spec because of the sustained armor penetration on the DOTs, the self-heals, and the lower CD interrupts.

Combat doesn't get its core abilities until the mid-30s, and doesn't complete its core set of abilities until 43. After that, Combat should be superior for group PvP where you have support. Combat provides superior contact time and assist train burst.

I'm focus, level 27 & I very much enjoy it. I love force stasis --> sweep. The extra 100% dmg with singularity is great. I love zealous leap too, I'm pretty new to MMOs & aren't too great with them. I'm terrible at moving & fighting at the same time so the second leap is great.

Master strike being uninterruptible is good - I hope that also means when you start a master strike & the target moves away, the end dmg still hits them. I barely ever use slash - only when I use zen is the time I use slash. Blade storm & leap hit higher so I tend to use them instead.

Lastly, the 10% heal with resolute is really nice. It has saved me many times.

I would be tempted to try out watchman but unsure how much it costs after the first respec.

• 2 weeks later...
focus rocks better on a guardian

But guardian lack all the cool cds Sent has so it balances it out.

Force Camo/Transcend all work well with preventing kiters the only real challenge for us...

Edited by jaytrust

ok. mind blown.

I got a response to my /bug on transcendence and the +centering talent.

"I am Protocol Droid W6-F1 of Human-Cyborg Relations and I'll be more than happy to assist you. I have received your transmission regarding the points or centering after transcendence that you were getting. Indeed, it is the intended effect to encourage players to create a party or group."

Working as intended.

So, 100% up-time on transcendence for focus specced sentinels in group play.

ok. mind blown.

I got a response to my /bug on transcendence and the +centering talent.

"I am Protocol Droid W6-F1 of Human-Cyborg Relations and I'll be more than happy to assist you. I have received your transmission regarding the points or centering after transcendence that you were getting. Indeed, it is the intended effect to encourage players to create a party or group."

Working as intended.

So, 100% up-time on transcendence for focus specced sentinels in group play.

Wow nice... so this actually adds some seriously good info to that skill. Thx for posting.

One thing in response to all this: Get to fifty.

That's pretty much it. I have a fifty sent and jugg there's very little reason to be a focus sent when guardian is just better. Sent pvp is all about merging healers and sages/sorcs. Can't do that when you aren't self sufficient in the slightest so you die without heals.

That's the Crux of the argument here. Look if you have a dedicated premade group to pvp with like the op then you should say that. Focus is likely the better group tree. A large majority of is are q'ing alone though and for that anything other than watchman is almost absurd.

Edited by Spideyknight

did... did you seriously miss the 100%up time on transcendence thing? do you have any idea how big that is? esp in pvp where mobility is king?

The other factors are +/1.

Awe is nice.

I actually have significantly more durability with our def cooldowns as a sent. force camo, guarded by the force, awe, rebuke. 4% all mit. 100% trans=def.

There is even a popular misconception that burns/bleeds ignore armor, and thus deal 100% damage. well they dont. They do ignore armor true, but that doesn't mean you have zero internal/burn mitigation. as focus, I have 17% internal/burn damage reduc.

Pacify.

Heal debuff.

focus guards are good in their own right, sure. but we have many tools they don't either.

Edited by MBirkhofer

I am valor rank 64 on my sentinel and have tried every build there is. Watchmen is king. Want to talk burst? force leap, over load saber, zealous strike, cautrerize, merciless strike, dead target.

Point blank force leap for an extra interrupt (in between force kicks) when you are on a healer, focus refunds on slash, merciless slash, dispatch, focus regen from burn effects, reduced cool down on force kick, force leap, and pacify.

I tried focus and although the guarenteed force sweep crt is nice, it takes too much effort to pull off. We will never be a true aoe class, we are all about single target damage.

Wathcmen tree is the healer wrecker/annoyer. I have gootten up to 60k heals from the talent in the watchmen tree, have crt for nearly 5k with merciless slash.

Tried them all, its watchmen for me.

I am valor rank 64 on my sentinel and have tried every build there is. Watchmen is king. Want to talk burst? force leap, over load saber, zealous strike, cautrerize, merciless strike, dead target.

Point blank force leap for an extra interrupt (in between force kicks) when you are on a healer, focus refunds on slash, merciless slash, dispatch, focus regen from burn effects, reduced cool down on force kick, force leap, and pacify.

I tried focus and although the guarenteed force sweep crt is nice, it takes too much effort to pull off. We will never be a true aoe class, we are all about single target damage.

Wathcmen tree is the healer wrecker/annoyer. I have gootten up to 60k heals from the talent in the watchmen tree, have crt for nearly 5k with merciless slash.

Tried them all, its watchmen for me.

^ THIS ^

Im watchman with full champ minus 2 peices which are centurion and i completely destroy people. It took a while to learn and i consider it very hard to play with about 10 years experice of pvp but it dominates. I EAT other 50s. Strong single target damage > Strong aoe in skilled pvp.

Focus is fun to play and all that, but watchman is king as quoted above.

Edited by Tobzzz