Question on graphics settings

alexkman

Hi all. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me, and please mind my knowledge of computers is very limited.

I've been running swtor on my august of 2011 alienware m14x laptop. i5 2.3GHz, 6gb of installed physical ram (3.83 available), and a 1.5gb Nvidia GeForce GT 555. I typically run the game on low except with texture anis. on medium and get a framerate that hangs between 30-50 FPS.

I am wondering if this sounds about right or if my PC should be able to run the game faster on higher settings, because my specs significantly exceed the minimum requirements and are above the recommended requirements, but i still run on low.

Thanks again.

Your specs look pretty good. You should be able to kick the graphics up a bit.....keep shadows turned off.

The only way to get the most out of any game is to experiment and tweak your hearts content. You will find a balanced setup im sure if you put some time into it.

Edited by HiltoftheDragon

Have similar specs except I installed more ram, and I'm experiencing god awful fps when I log in. My settings are all low and it looks like I'm playing SWG when the fps finally gets to a playable rate. Can someone please help us. I've tried running it in Xp comp mode with no success. I have the latest drivers and software.

Have similar specs except I installed more ram, and I'm experiencing god awful fps when I log in. My settings are all low and it looks like I'm playing SWG when the fps finally gets to a playable rate. Can someone please help us. I've tried running it in Xp comp mode with no success. I have the latest drivers and software.

I'm on windows 7, but could XP comp mode help? If so, how do i put it in this setting?

I'm on windows 7, but could XP comp mode help? If so, how do i put it in this setting?

Yeah something about a feature in vista and 7 conflicting with how the game was optimized or something. Don't have a link to the post, but all u do right click on the launcher and client file each, select properties, go to compatibility tab, check the first box and select Xp service pack 3 (if 7) or sp 2 (if vista)

1. Make sure SWTOR is set to use the 555 in the Nvdia control panel DO NOT leave it on automatic control as this leads to it switching between the 555 and the onboard intel card which causes issues (its generally best to have the system force use of the 55 at all times)

2. Make sure your power scheme is set to maximum performance across the boards.

3. Run in SP3 Mode.

I had serious issues with SWTOR running on my m17x r3 until I did the first two, third one as previously mentioned can help a bit (sometimes)

Hi all. Thank you in advance for any help you can offer me, and please mind my knowledge of computers is very limited.

I've been running swtor on my august of 2011 alienware m14x laptop. i5 2.3GHz, 6gb of installed physical ram (3.83 available), and a 1.5gb Nvidia GeForce GT 555. I typically run the game on low except with texture anis. on medium and get a framerate that hangs between 30-50 FPS.

I am wondering if this sounds about right or if my PC should be able to run the game faster on higher settings, because my specs significantly exceed the minimum requirements and are above the recommended requirements, but i still run on low.

Thanks again.

make sure you Nvidia card settings are set right. your card settings can play a large part in causing lag in game if it conflics with the game settings

I opened the NVidia panel and started messing around with some of the features and got it running much smoother. I'm not running on high and averaging around 45 FPS although sometimes it drops tot he 20's. on low-medium I'm getting around 60. Is there anything specific in the features I could try to get it to run even better? Or is it all about experimenting because it varies from system to system?

Thanks for the help thus far.

The only strange thing now is that I'm getting about the same framerate on low as on high.

Generally speaking if the framerate isn't changing in a high vs low test, the bottleneck isn't your graphics card (the actual rendering). For instance, if the CPU in a laptop gets too hot the laptop will underclock the CPU to reduce heat, but this kills performance.

Do you experience this with other games or just this one?