Leveling, smash vs carnage

Icebergy

Thanks for the info, guys.

Boss fights are trivial because of heroic moment and all the legacy attacks that I have, so I am mostly just looking at what would be best for trash/silvers. I am enjoying Carnage, but I find myself having to stop and regen after fights more than I would like, so I may switch it up and try Rage next for the AoE.

Ok...so ignore the most survivable spec and try fotm...that works....until the nerf bat comes around because of all the QQing about it.

Ok...so ignore the most survivable spec and try fotm...that works....until the nerf bat comes around because of all the QQing about it.

Sigh...I know I said I appreciate all the responses, but I don't appreciate this one. Really there was no reason to even post this. I never said I wasn't going to try Annihilation, just that I would try Rage NEXT.

Not sure why I bothered to respond to you, its not like you were really even interested in the topic at hand. You were just looking for an outlet to complain because someone beat you in PvP.

You know...

FOTM is FOTM for a reason.

Usually because it's the strongest choice.

And for leveling, especially after 30 when you can generate Shockwave stacks via Berserk, it IS the strongest choice.

Edited by Omophorus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Any spec is good for leveling.

But if you're wanting the absolute fastest, how much faster really is one spec from the other when you take in the number of days it takes to go from 1-50.

Let's say Rage is fastest... would you hit 50 a day sooner than Annihilation? Is that one day that important? That's all you need to ask yourself really.. to me it's all about having fun leveling, and that spec (for me) is Annihilation with Quinn.

If that one day faster is because NPCs die 3-5 seconds faster in each combat, then I'm certain I wouldn't notice.

If that one day faster is because over the course of the leveling process I suffered one full day's worth of unsuccessful missions, deaths, running lowbie Warzones and repeating Flashpoints to grind up extra xp so I can overlevel my Class missions because the only way to beat them is go come back when they're green, then yes, that inhibits the fun that I'm having while leveling.

After leveling several characters to 50, my goal is typically to do the Class Mission, and then the bare minimum amount of World Missions or Flashpoints necessary to move forward. And if there is a spec/companion combination that allows me to solo Heroics, then even better, because I haven't done those missions nearly as many times. I refuse to sit around waiting on a group when I could just move forward and skip them.

Leveling faster does not always just mean being speedier; more often it has to do with avoiding a whole ton of things that have the potential to be annoying, the very things that ruin the leveling experience and make it less of a game and more of a chore.

For Sith Warrior, my experience has been Rage during the earlier levels because it's less dependant on upper tree abilities. The first 20 levels don't really matter on any class because everything is so weak, but near level 30, you feel the difference between a spec that is still missing their keystone ability and a spec that already has it.

I leveled my Mara up to 30 with a screwed up, spread out tree. I'm an mmo noob and didn't know any better. I reset my tree a few days ago. Now using rage with Quinn and I'm running heroics solo. They're still challenging of course, but the ability to do heroics solo makes the game even more fun than before. I'm going to try the other trees later on, but for PvE right now, rage is king.