how can u change servers

Firestein

Couple things:

First, my friends and I created a facebook group to coordinate server selection so we would all be on the same one. Worked great! Hooray for planning.

Second, I am too lazy to look up the specific comment, but I am fairly certain I saw Stephen Reid mention in his AMA on reddit that server changes would be coming, but they wanted to let populations settle after launch first so they don't get hordes of people moving out of full servers creating dead servers, which causes server merges, which are a bad thing.

Due to rolling access from EGA and the never-before-seen number of launch subscribers they had to leave some restrictions in place to start with in order to limit the chaos.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

games nowadays have a lot of "you're screwed down the road if you make the wrong decision now" moments.

HA! I had to reply to this because of hilarity. Games nowadays are INCREDIBLY forgiving compared to the games of yesteryear.

I don't think I'm too old in my late 20's, but does no one remember old games? XP penalties for death were common in the first MMOs. You could actually LOSE A LEVEL from dying. You had to run back to your corpse from town with none of your gear in order and hope there were no mobs around because you had the wrong target selected when you used one ability.

Games nowadays are FAR easier than they used to be, and I'm not complaining, just making sure you young whippersnappers know how good you've got it.

EDIT: And to more directly address the point, server changes have NEVER been in place at launch on any MMO. That capability is added later on once populations are settled.

Edited by Gwyd-yon

HA! I had to reply to this because of hilarity. Games nowadays are INCREDIBLY forgiving compared to the games of yesteryear.

I don't think I'm too old in my late 20's, but does no one remember old games? XP penalties for death were common in the first MMOs. You could actually LOSE A LEVEL from dying. You had to run back to your corpse from town with none of your gear in order and hope there were no mobs around because you had the wrong target selected when you used one ability.

Games nowadays are FAR easier than they used to be, and I'm not complaining, just making sure you young whippersnappers know how good you've got it.

I agree with everything said here. In the old days you could REALLY get messed up from deaths. Ultima Online you could really die in some senses if you where not careful enough. Asheron's Call where you dropped more and more of you items on each death and had to fight to get them back. If you didn't get them within a certain time frame your body opened up and anyone could loot your stuff.

I miss the real games with real dangers.

I agree with everything said here. In the old days you could REALLY get messed up from deaths. Ultima Online you could really die in some senses if you where not careful enough. Asheron's Call where you dropped more and more of you items on each death and had to fight to get them back. If you didn't get them within a certain time frame your body opened up and anyone could loot your stuff.

I miss the real games with real dangers.

Not to turn this into a nostalgia thread, but remember in Asheron's Call having to experiment with spell ingredients to learn new spells? How about the classless leveling? Dungeons that required platforming?

In EQ, mobs that never stopped chasing you? TRAIN TO ZONE!!! Spawn camping for hours for a single drop when enemies only spawned once per hour.

Man, games are so easy now.

Not to turn this into a nostalgia thread, but remember in Asheron's Call having to experiment with spell ingredients to learn new spells? How about the classless leveling? Dungeons that required platforming?

Yes, and no "free spell casting" everything required you to carry three bags of components with you. That is to this date the coolest and best full character customization that existed. Dungeons required some real skill, no quest guides, no easy down this hall and back.

But, in re-guards to this thread server transfers IMO are overrated. If you want to change servers for personal reasons roll a new character. If it comes to dwindle population then I can see why the company needs to step in, but otherwise seems like a pure luxury item. Especially when you are not even close to max level.

Yes, it is dumb. There's no way around it. There are literally hundreds of scenarios I could come up with to illustrate how your called/texted/emailed quip is weak and lame, much less your need to put the word friend in quotation marks, but clearly that all speaks for itself and quite frankly, should go without saying. You'll probably try to come up with some snarky remark with a dramatic emoticon, but at the end of the day, I'm right. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to move my character to another server.

go back to wow.

My Server (who's name I can't remember :p) had a large community when I first joined, it was easy to do Heroics and Flashpoints, and the Trade Market was booming.

Now theres only 10-20 people per planet. Its nearly impossible to do anything. I don't know what happened, but my server seems to have just been...abandoned...

Its practically ruined the game for me and has taken all the fun out of SWTOR. I might be a small minority with this issue, but not being aloud to change servers has made my game unplayable. Thanks bioware...

Edited by zz-man

My Server (who's name I can't remember :p) had a large community when I first joined, it was easy to do Heroics and Flashpoints, and the Trade Market was booming.

Now theres only 10-20 people per planet. Its nearly impossible to do anything. I don't know what happened, but my server seems to have just been...abandoned...

Its practically ruined the game for me and has taken all the fun out of SWTOR. I might be a small minority with this issue, but not being aloud to change servers has made my game unplayable. Thanks bioware...

I too am on the other side of the fence. I thought that I had leaned my lesson playing other MMOs and waited until "Prime Time" and chose a server in the "Light" category. Well, unfortunately, it's stayed in the "Light" category which means, for me, that there is virtually no trading on the "Galatic Trade Center", worlds are almost vacant (Tatooine with 9 players on it at 22:00 Eastern), so I can forget doing any heroics or flashpoints. Therefore, SWTOR, has basically become a single player game for me. I'm left paying ~$14/month for what?

I understand full well the need to let server populations even out before turning on the "Switch Server" option but this situation alone has the ability to kill what is otherwise a game that has great potential.

Bioware has to realize this and open the floodgates for a limited amount of time, say 1week, in order to solve this issue. I'm not going to quit or even threaten to quit but I'm afraid that if something isn't done i'll have no choice in the matter and the time and money I've spent on SWTOR will be gone because OTHER people won't be as understanding and will jump ship in droves.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm in the same boat. I was the first of my friends to the game. Sadly, none of them asked me where I was playing. Since then, I've made other friends who are playing on other servers as well.

As it is, the server I'm on also remains in "light" status even at 2200 EST. There might be 10 or 20 people on Tatooine at that time, but since I also play mainly when I get off work at 0800 EST, the server is most definitely entirely dead, and I've had to abandon almost a dozen heroics just to have room for my class quests in my log because I can't ever find anyone to do them with me.

Seriously, barring the people whining about trolls (gee, you REALLY think they won't just troll from another character on the same server? do you honestly think that limiting a troll or cheater to one char per server is actually going to affect THEM at all? that argument is like saying gun laws stop criminals from getting guns) what good does preventing people from switching servers do? Isn't this 2012 now? I don't give a crap what other AAA MMO's do, I don't play those games because they suck for so many reasons, from WoW to STO to EVE. I want this game to do its own thing, be its own game, and be better than the other MMO's, and that's what they'll have to do if they want to keep my interest.

There's no excuse in this day and age to hold on to a relic of MMO past that was not based in any wise decision by the developers of WoW, but merely an old systems/hardware/software limitation of the earliest MMO's that has long since been overcome. If STO (what a crappy game that was) and EVE can do it without limiting people to a single server, why can't a brand new game like SWTOR?

Needs to be fixed pronto, otherwise you're seriously limiting the length of time I will pay for this game, because I'm not going to pay for an MMO I can't play with my friends, nor one that has me stuck to a single server that is always empty.

I'm a little unsure if i ought to have chosen to go on a PVP server rather than PVE and am pretty surprised theres no server swapping at all. No way i'm starting again as my friends all have characters on the server but am sure they would all swap too.

I think 1 per account per month or something would be fair, and a fee for more

Hello ,

I played other MMO-s , this is nota STANDARD mechanic. Some indeed choose to implement it ( to have the character bound to a server ) . Still when i started to play i could not find enough accessible information about it in SWTOR. Not saying it's not there somewhere ( bottom line is that if you look hard enough and KNOW what to look for you could find it on forums). But since it's a rather important aspect it should be clearly explained.

Atm i'm not bothered about it. But it might come a time ( including waiting in line to get on a server - i know in some MMOs it's standard procedure but i see it a sa BIG flaw - you should NOT have to wait ) when i'll want to switch servers and i hope it will be an option.

I also dont like the replies - "just make another character" - yes it is a option but not everyone is happy with it. While some people might have time to build and play with more than one character i and others might not. It's a long discussion over weather you would need or not this feature, enough to say that if YOU don't need it does not mean that others don't.

The real question is if you would be able to switch servers will you have an advantage over the players on your new server ? If that's the case you should not be able to do it. As far as i can see there would be no real advantage against the players already being on a server since ( xp rates , drop rates etc are the same on all servers ). But then again more experienced players might come with arguments here - if there are any.

Just as a side note you should bear in mind that if it's a feature that will help players , and it does not impact gameplay it should be introduced. Some games ( EVE being the most known ) have gone so far as in allowing players to trade characters ( legally ). Sure it's a measure that makes much more sense in that game's context where top characters have been trained for 4-5 years ( and even more ) and there is no read way in avoiding that time ( you can shorten it somewhat but the order of magnitude remains the same). To be noted is not the solution implemented but the willing to find one in order to facilitate player's comfort.

So i for one i really hope you will be able to hop servers , even with a long period of cooldown after ( 3-6 months ? )

Pharon out.

Edited by PharonReichter

I see alot of people complaining about having to forfeit their 10-20 toon to get to another server. So what? It takes approx a days work to get to 15-20, especially if you've already played that bit. Come talk about it when you're lvl 50.

I played other MMO-s , this is nota STANDARD mechanic. Some indeed choose to implement it ( to have the character bound to a server ).

And which MMO is that? I've played most top MMORPGs and I can't recall any of them NOT having your char bound to a server. Is it a free-to-play MMO you played?

Edited by Bassaman

I would like to switch servers too, I unfortunately choose an RP server which was the biggest mistake i've ever made. Worst PvP action ever, ****** guilds etc. I'd pay to be able to transfer my character and all my gear, make it happen bioware.

• 3 weeks later...
I played wow for several years. I paid on several occasions to have my toons transfered to a different server to get in a different time zone so raiding worked when I was logged on. What MMORPG were you playing where they were "locked" to a server? The game is new, free transfers should be allowed, and after a while paid transfers should be allowed.

• 2 weeks later...
I see alot of people complaining about having to forfeit their 10-20 toon to get to another server. So what? It takes approx a days work to get to 15-20, especially if you've already played that bit. Come talk about it when you're lvl 50.

Ok.

I'm level 50, and would like to transfer my character to another server. The group of friends I started on the server with are simply not playing, so I'd like to join another group on a different server. I don't even mind paying a small fee for it.

Happy?

Same for me too, I have a lvl 50 and a lvl 16 toon on a server that I never play now. I have another server that I started a toon on and it is lvl 45 now, but I would love to be able to transfer those other 3 over to this one. I wont pay though, I feel I pay enough already. I want a free service for people who want to do it only once.

I would like to switch servers too, I unfortunately choose an RP server which was the biggest mistake i've ever made. Worst PvP action ever, ****** guilds etc. I'd pay to be able to transfer my character and all my gear, make it happen bioware.

Same problem man. I would like to switch servers too. Bioware plz make it.

Yeah i could definatly do with a server transfer option.

I made my first char on a pvp server where my friends that live locally to me play, then i made a char on an RP server (because i like to RP) and then a few friends i used to play another MMO with started playing on a different pvp server to my original char. The friends i used to play a different mmo with reached lvl 50 befor me (as im lvling 3 chars at this point) and decided the server they are on is a bit dull at max lvl (due to population or w/e) and have made chars on what for me would be a 4th server and TBH with my homelife work etc i do not have time to lvl 4 different chars! so being able to swap my 3rd char onto the 4th server would save me a WHOLE lot of hassle and id even be happy to pay up to £20 to do this as im probably not going to need to do it again (if they decide to change servers again they can piss off :p)

I would love to see game allowing me to log in to any server I want at any time given.

Why not after all? That could be unique and cool feature of this game.

All the nonsense about mail and traiding we used to get from Blizzard is because of their turkish code style. Hope you are diferent :*

p.s.: Galatic Trade Center could be one for all the servers as well. At lease region. That would give it a second life. At the moment it dramaticaly suck. It's imposible to find something. Try to buy 18-22 lvl blaster and you will find void of them. Bio materials to power lvl proffesion? Sure, maybe you will be lucky to buy a dozen overpriced ones, but not enought to get you even 10 skill point.

Edited by valiorik

• 3 weeks later...
When I read posts like this I wonder if any of you have ever really worked with a computer before. I realize we are paying them good money for this but even writing a code for a simple program is an absolute *****. As far as being able to switch servers at will as one person suggested, it would be incredibly annoying to have to constantly change character names as well as the nightmare of logistics involved in such an endeavor. As much as users would like to think, this is a game that is created and maintained by flawed human beings on hardware with finite capabilities. The audacity that no personal accountability should exist simply due to paying a subscription is frankly sickening. I started a character on one server. I found out my brother is on another. I'm just making a new character. Guess what, if there are long load times I have another server to go to. Coming from someone who is coming over from Rift and EQ2, two games plagued by low server populations and constant server mergers you have no idea what a blessing a server queue is. Appreciate what you have and complain less about what you don't. You will probably be a lot more satisfied.

• 3 weeks later...