15 dollars for one set of armor?

Mcwall

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the military that I used to work with, gold is expensive not because of how rare it is, but because the U.S. government buys it up and trades it to countries we have a debt with. It is one of the few currencies they accept as payment. This is why all these "cash for gold" businesses cropped up.

As far as the 15 dollar price tag on armor, it is plain stupid. If you buy it, you really need to learn the real value of a dollar. Even if you are rich, it is a very irresponsible use of money. Unfortunately when people feel like they have a surplus of funds, it becomes real easy to let go of it for frivolous things. Therefore Bioware gets away with it.

Even at $5.00, I would have worked pretty hard for 15 minutes for it at my job just to get pixels that really don't do anything but make my character pretty. What I do during that 40-50 hours a week seems way more important to me than a set of game armor, therefor no silly spending for me.

Edited by Network_Error

For vanity items any price is a fair price, only a section of the user base will buy them and that section would pay any price anyway.

If you don't want to spend real money just wait until they appear on the GTN.

Maybe it shouldnt be a fair price. Maybe it should be laws preventing that kind of abuse.

One day maybe, when this kind of stuff will be on the debate of the general public audience, and not being a niche of only video gamers.

Gold watches and diamond earing are nothing like the same however, as each item always has large production cost involved, and then mark up on top.

Um.... actually... the reason gold and diamonds are so rare is not the cost of production.... it's vanity. It costs so much because humans (especially rich ones) care so much about what other think of them that they just have to have anything that they have been told is rare or hard to find. So the few people that have them make everyone else pay a crap-ton for them.

It's because the raw material is controlled a few greedy people taking advantage of human greed and vanity that they cost so much, not because of the cost of production.

Um.... actually... the reason gold and diamonds are so rare is not the cost of production.... it's vanity. It costs so much because humans (especially rich ones) care so much about what other think of them that they just have to have anything that they have been told is rare or hard to find. So the few people that have them make everyone else pay a crap-ton for them.

It's because the raw material is controlled a few greedy people taking advantage of human greed and vanity that they cost so much, not because of the cost of production.

Again, no. :)

lol, um... yes

Again no, as mentioned diamonds aren't expensive purely because they are wanted.

They are expensive because they are rare , relatively (and the better quality and size the rarer), and then it takes fair amount of skill to create a cut diamond from a raw one and then you've still got the create the jewelry and then you've still got to transport the jewelry and cover the costs of the shop it is sold in.

So there is a significant production cost on top of any mark up at the end.

Virtual items aren't like that, the Santa Speeder has a production cost of $0.00 and only a very small one off design cost, so almost 100% of any sale is pure profit.

Edited by Goretzu

Whoever buys SithRaider armor should be shot. I've seen the same visual set more than 3 times while leveling.

My thoughts exactly. However it is the only Sith-like set for Lord Scourge. I bought one for him. He looks worst than I expected (lack of cape dosn't suit him) but it's better from the Jedi sets he can get.

This isn't WoW. :csw_yoda:

SWTORs Cashshop is expensive (even ignoring the $18.00 Santa Mount), WARs cashshop was much cheaper under Bioware EA, so I don't understand why they are going so high with SWTOR.

Remember these items have effectively $0.00 production cost, so almost everything is pure profit.

Allow me to correct you on the zero production cost...

Step 1. The set is concepted out over several itterations between a voncept artist, their lead, and usually a producer.

St ep 2. Each piece is singled out by the concept artist and handed to a modeler.

Step 3. Each piece is given shape and handed to a rigger/technical artist.

Step 4. Rigger defines how the model can move. Technical artist does any custom behavior at the model level (such as wriggle and folding) as well as setting up havok cloth settings.

Step 5. Item designer takes all art assets and assigns stat values, defines the set and creates a player ownable item out.of the art

Step 6. QA

Step 7. Item placed in cartel market and given a launch.

Theres at least 60 man hours there. Assuming 20$ per hour thats $1200 of production value. BW needs 80 purchases to break eben on the armor......

Allow me to correct you on the zero production cost...

Step 1. The set is concepted out over several itterations between a voncept artist, their lead, and usually a producer.

St ep 2. Each piece is singled out by the concept artist and handed to a modeler.

Step 3. Each piece is given shape and handed to a rigger/technical artist.

Step 4. Rigger defines how the model can move. Technical artist does any custom behavior at the model level (such as wriggle and folding) as well as setting up havok cloth settings.

Step 5. Item designer takes all art assets and assigns stat values, defines the set and creates a player ownable item out.of the art

Step 6. QA

Step 7. Item placed in cartel market and given a launch.

Theres at least 60 man hours there. Assuming 20$ per hour thats $1200 of production value. BW needs 80 purchases to break eben on the armor......

If anyone took 60 manhours to redo the Santa speeder I can tell you right away why Bioware EA is having SO many content delivery problems. :)

But again even with such ridiculous costs, they sell 66 of them and then every single one after that is 100% profit. :csw_yoda:

I remember Blizzard putting out a sparkly pony mount for $25 a pop on their cash shop. They made millions in just an hour or so I'm guessing. Perhaps more. So many people were buying that the site couldn't handle the traffic. I don't remember if that pony was account wide though. But to answer the question, I think the Cartel Shop is a total rip off! :mad:

If anyone took 60 manhours to redo the Santa speeder I can tell you right away why Bioware EA is having SO many content delivery problems. :)

But again even with such ridiculous costs, they sell 66 of them and then every single one after that is 100% profit. :csw_yoda:

Just because an item is simple conceptually does not mean it is simple to make. Twinkling lights are really simple conceptually but hard to make without tanking performance.

As a mental exercise, make a solutiin for lights without the use of lights and particles (the lights are too numeroua and too small to warrant the perf hit)

Just because an item is simple conceptually does not mean it is simple to make. Twinkling lights are really simple conceptually but hard to make without tanking performance.

As a mental exercise, make a solutiin for lights without the use of lights and particles (the lights are too numeroua and too small to warrant the perf hit)

Again, if they can't make lights on a speeder, we probably see why RvR cannot work with more than 8v8 in SWTOR. :(

And again (again), even if it cost $1200 to make the Santa Speeder (:D) they still only have to sell 66 of them before every single one after that is pure 100% profit. :csw_yoda:

Some people in this topic are full of crap.

Vanity items are expensive. End of story.

An audi will cost far more then a volvo of simular build and performance.

Diamonds are not as rare as price suggests either - their value is artficially bloated. Look it up.

Some people in this topic are full of crap.

Vanity items are expensive. End of story.

An audi will cost far more then a volvo of simular build and performance.

Diamonds are not as rare as price suggests either - their value is artficially bloated. Look it up.

Indeed, that's a common occurance for many things from oil to rare earth metals to DvDs.

Designer brands will indeed add a small premium to the mark up (although at the top end of this you have limited editions).

However none of that applies to production cost free virtual items. :)

Hood down robes seen on every trailer being referred to as vanity items. You're insane. Not a single hood down Jedi robe made it into the game since launch, despite heavy advertising on player class media. An iconic and generic Jedi look, which should be available to every player in the Star Wars game, is now being called vanity. Ridiculous.

Comparing digital vanity items to real-life items is funny, too. As Goretzu says there are no digital costs and there is barely anyone I could show off those items to.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue

The recently released sets, Valiant Jedi and Sith Raider look pretty decent( though the raider set has no cape like Malgus) but despite this, nearly 1500 Cartel Coins is ridiculous for these sets. That is around 12-15 dollars for a set of in game armor. What do you guys think of this price point?

Well, I can't speak to the Sith Raider pieces, but it just seems to me that it depends on whether you really want the armor. The Valiant Jedi armor set is a re-skin of the Jedi Battlelord Armor Set. What this set does is allow Jedi Consulars to wear a Moddable Adaptive Armor that is similar in appearance to the afore mentioned Battlelord set(which is available ONLY for Jedi Knights)

The chestpiece alone is going for a high price on GTN, not as high as the Battlelord chestpiece(currently around 3 million) but still high enough.

If you are a Jedi Knight and still want a set of moddable adaptive armor, but don't feel like paying the huge amounts asked for either the Valiant Jedi Set or the Jedi Battlelord set, head over to Coruscant and see the Knight Legacy Vendor for the Exalted Guardian Body Armor set. There is a Legacy requirement of Level 20 to equip the gear. NOTE: The complete set is going to set you back a little over 1 million credits, but you can mix and match with Battlelord pieces(the Greaves and Boots run between 15-25k each).

Hood down robes seen on every trailer being referred to as vanity items. You're insane. Not a single hood down Jedi robe made it into the game since launch, despite heavy advertising on player class media. An iconic and generic Jedi look, which should be available to every player in the Star Wars game, is now being called vanity. Ridiculous.

Comparing digital vanity items to real-life items is funny, too. As Goretzu says there are no digital costs and there is barely anyone I could show off those items to.

+1

Alot people seem to forget what was most asked thing since launch that was advertised to death yet didnt get into game until now and with what price ... ugh

Expansion is cheaper thatn one armor set, thats the oddest thing ive seen in any MMO i played - yes including micropayment model games.

Maybe many here werent around when game was launched and came back now and saying that price for single outfit is justified. If thats ok for you all, then i suggest Bioware to ask nex epic hood down armor outfit for 20-30 $ seems ok like most think.....

why would you bother to discuss this, they can charge whatever the market will bear, and plenty of people are paying for it.

why do more for less, when you can do less for more, it would be stupid

Edited by Opossumist
spelling

Well, I can't speak to the Sith Raider pieces, but it just seems to me that it depends on whether you really want the armor. The Valiant Jedi armor set is a re-skin of the Jedi Battlelord Armor Set. What this set does is allow Jedi Consulars to wear a Moddable Adaptive Armor that is similar in appearance to the afore mentioned Battlelord set(which is available ONLY for Jedi Knights)

I gotta correct you. Look over the items again and compare both sets one after another in the preview window. Everything in the Valiant set, apart from boots, is totally "new" (as in no where to be found in-game. not even an npc). Gauntles and greaves are much slimmer. Robe doesn't have a belt around waist and it does not appear to be glued to chest, like the Consular ones. There is a fair amount "black" space between the robe and the armor giving it a nice, non-glued look. Boots are the same models. I wish the Valiant boots were slimmer, too :(

You guys keep supporting the ridiculous prices and keep on buying those sets and the "Deceived" Sith armor, requested so much, is gonna be 1800 cartel coins next month. You'll see.

Imo they should be selling gear packs of four Class Sets containing four iconic looks for a single class. For 15 quid.

Edited by Alec_Fortescue