Story content in the new expansion

Sverrir

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be prepared for another mass exodus BW if you fail to deliver on the stories.

Now playing alts will be even more of a drag as there wont be any unique story to the class.

Oh, puh-lease. On an RP server I've met dozens of players who levelled both adv classes of most of the 8 basic classes(i.e. both sorc and assassin or both jugg and mara). They won't mind doing 5lvls of same sheet(!) with more characters after that.

Oh, puh-lease. On an RP server I've met dozens of players who levelled both adv classes of most of the 8 basic classes(i.e. both sorc and assassin or both jugg and mara). They won't mind doing 5lvls of same sheet(!) with more characters after that.

So instead of playing the same story twice, they will play the same story 16 times.

This is the beginning of the End I think. They have decided to abandon the best thing about the game, maybe the only truly good thing about the game. Every review and every comment about SWTOR has praised the class story content. Even the harshest critic that sets out to slam the game with as much hate as possible usually starts out with "the class stories are great, but..." So that's the one part that Bioware decides to toss out.

Nobody has ever said warzones are the best thing in the game, but we will get more warzones.

Nobody has ever said operations are the best thing in the game, but we will get more operations.

Nobody has ever said anything positive at all about space missions, but we will get more space missions.

Every single person who has ever commented about SWTOR from the biggest fan to the most enraged hater has said the class stories are great, so EA/Bioware are ditching class stories.

Incredible. I can only assume EA/Bioware are trying to bring SWTOR to its end as quickly as possible.

Edited by Arodin

This is the beginning of the End I think. They have decided to abandon the best thing about the game, maybe the only truly good thing about the game. Every review and every comment about SWTOR has praised the class story content. Even the harshest critic that sets out to slam the game with as much hate as possible usually starts out with "the class stories are great, but..." So that's the one part that Bioware decides to toss out.

Nobody has ever said warzones are the best thing in the game, but we will get more warzones.

Nobody has ever said operations are the best thing in the game, but we will get more operations.

Nobody has ever said anything positive at all about space missions, but we will get more space missions.

Every single person who has ever commented about SWTOR from the biggest fan to the most enraged hater has said the class stories are great, so EA/Bioware are ditching class stories.

Incredible. I can only assume EA/Bioware are trying to bring SWTOR to its end as quickly as possible.

Although this is pretty hyperbolic, you make really good points.

The class stories are the part of the game where everything excels. Build on them.

You can't expect the best parts of the game to keep the game running if they go without an update for years. If there's one part of a game that is incredibly strong, you want to milk that and not just drop it.

This. Couldn't have said it any better.

So instead of playing the same story twice, they will play the same story 16 times.

Pretty much. If they went through every effin planet 16 times and did at least some of their side quests available to everyone(unless they WZ'ed/FP'ed their way just to skip side quests to get to story ones), they won't mind 5 more levels. It's the mindset thing. Like enjoying being a healer. Different breed of people. :rak_01:

I resubbed about a month ago because I wanted to continue the class and companion stories. If I've completed all 8 class stories and all 40 companion stories by the time this expansion launches and the reviews aren't great, not only would I not buy it, I'll unsub too.

Without the class stories and companions this game is a very average MMO.

I'm actually fine with that as long as those 2 new stories actually reference what I've done during chapters 1-3 and the quests differ in their execution according to what class I play. Since no class stories are confirmed for Makeb and yet Makeb was wildly advertised as AAA BW storytelling, then this is next best thing and I could see this work.

However, if it turns out to be just like Ilum (aka copypaste everything but change the name of the class during the dialogues) then yeah, I expect a MASSIVE wave of "I'm done with this game" posts, unless the features that come with Makeb will be 100% amazing.

For now, I'm caustiously optimistic though.

Edited by gibmachine

Hi everyone - I asked Jeff Hickman for some clarification for you on whether Makeb will feature an extension of class stories. Here's the info:

"The intent for Rise of the Hutt Cartel is to continue your character's story, but envisioned as part of the ongoing struggle of the Empire vs. the Republic. There are lots of great moments for you to enjoy, and it will be shared as two clear storylines. No class specific storylines are included, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."

We hope this helps clarify!

Bullcrap.

I actually agree with you. This is why I play this game and no other MMO. I like the star wars story, my story, my PERSONAL story. I dont want to be part of an avengers team. I would play DCO if i wanted that. I already have that onboard my ship as it is with my companions.

I continue to subscribe because i believe in the personal story adventures that bioware are famous for. Dont cop out on us.

You PERSONAL story, that is the same as everyone elses lol......:rolleyes:

this so much this.

EA you have as expected lost the so called "hardcores" Stop trying to cater to them they are not a sustainable customer base. The story of this game is what keeps people paying subs and playing. Not more of the same junk as in every other MMO out there. This is just depressing.

i dont understand inquisitors that think that their story line was wrapped up... i made like 3-5 decisions at the end of what was written that should have enormous impact on future telling of the story... let alone all my companions and I have been through...

and the end of the inquisitor story to me seemed like just the beginning.

and now with the layoffs, shady business practices and horrible decision maker as the head, we will never get to expand our class story legacy, because let's face it, they don't have the money or enough talented people to pull it off.

Edited by siegedeluxe

Hi everyone - I asked Jeff Hickman for some clarification for you on whether Makeb will feature an extension of class stories. Here's the info:

"The intent for Rise of the Hutt Cartel is to continue your character's story, but envisioned as part of the ongoing struggle of the Empire vs. the Republic. There are lots of great moments for you to enjoy, and it will be shared as two clear storylines. No class specific storylines are included, though I know you guys are going to love what RotHC has to offer."

So replaying RotHC with alts will be an absolute boring spacebar ridden crap.

Great job.

Edited by Rogoo

I'd prefer my character to be done with his rise to power quest line and instead focus on the actual story happening in the galaxy right now. This is a good direction, imo. A more Mass Effect style of storytelling is welcomed. You never had a class specific story in that game and look how well it did.

I'd prefer my character to be done with his rise to power quest line and instead focus on the actual story happening in the galaxy right now. This is a good direction, imo. A more Mass Effect style of storytelling is welcomed. You never had a class specific story in that game and look how well it did.

And when you finish the Makeb storyline on one character in a week and are faced with the same exact endgame you have now, only 5 levels higher?

And when you finish the Makeb storyline on one character in a week and are faced with the same exact endgame you have now, only 5 levels higher?

Didn't stop me from completing Mass Effect twice. Many different endings, you don't know how this story line will play out. I'll do it. Did it stop me from leveling 12 alts to 80 in WoW? Same quests, same story? Nope. You should be fortunate to have a story at all in this game, it is an mmo and mmos usually do not support expansive stories like this one.

Edited by spectreclees

:sideeyes ME3: Oh yea that's what we need more of ...

:sideeyes ME3: Oh yea that's what we need more of ...

Did I say ME 3? I said MASS EFFECT, I meant across all games it had great storytelling. Regardless of it's ending, the entire game throughout was a great story. Nobody denies it and it's proven as the game has won a few awards this year. They also gave it a better ending after the uproar. It was actually not that bad.

Selective reading.

Edited by spectreclees

Didn't stop me from completing Mass Effect twice. Many different endings, you don't know how this story line will play out. I'll do it. Did it stop me from leveling 12 alts to 80 in WoW? Same quests, same story? Nope. You should be fortunate to have a story at all in this game, it is an mmo and mmos usually do not support expansive stories like this one.

Sure but that doesn´t make it fun. The game will be empty and meaningless. Besides Bioware made it clear that every story of each class was going to be different, unique and they were going to keep it like that as a long term thing so we wouldn´t have to find any other game to fullfill our needs of excitement, now they are bailing on that so of course players get pist off because this repetative formula is just depressive and boring and I was hoping for once, especially since Bioware had made such an amazing version of the Star Wars Universe, that they could atleast keep it alive. I´m sorry but I find it sad that you are willing to waste your time leveling alot of alts up to lvl cap for absolutely nothing because I think most people would play it once have fun then look for something new and since Bioware can´t provide that of course it´s going to be loss for them.

I have no beef with Allison, but I am so tired of seeing the community treated distantly.

Oh...how about those SGRA's you guys promised? Any progress on that? :rolleyes:

~JC

Not to be that person, but chances of you seeing a post on SGR's is about slim to none...Pretty sure they shelved that and are ignoring it. lol For the dev's, ignoring something in hops it will go away is never the best option. lol

Also from what I understand the story content as far as voice acting goes, is expensive. So I gander from that and the lack of high amounts of subs is that they simply cannot afford the actors for the content of new class story lines. That would be a guess.

Makes me a little nervous about end game content to be honest...=(

Edited by Narsissia

Not to be that person, but chances of you seeing a post on SGR's is about slim to none...Pretty sure they shelved that and are ignoring it. lol For the dev's, ignoring something in hops it will go away is never the best option. lol

Also from what I understand the story content as far as voice acting goes, is expensive. So I gander from that and the lack of high amounts of subs is that they simply cannot afford the actors for the content of new class story lines. That would be a guess.

Makes me a little nervous about end game content to be honest...=(

It is and that is why they should have wasted less time focusing on repetative content for endgame and focus on the one thing they did right from the begining : Class Storylines. If they had done that they might have kept their subscribers since they could pump out more of the good stuff, not just the ok stuff the consumer can find anywhere else. Even now there is way to much repetative stuff to make me want to play another class but I´m sure they could have made fewer side quests and make instances in class quests longer. I mean comon most instances are bearly bigger than an average house even though we are talking about an instance inside a Dreadnaught that is 600-800m in length. I bet when Obi-wan and Anaking were rescuing Palplatine from Grevious ship it didn´t take them 5 minutes like when I invade a ship. and Inside every instance there might be several side missions to keep things interesting and not just those boring (kill that) bonus missions.

An MMO cant succeed over others unless they can offer something that the others can´t and SWTOR is killing their unique thing (I´m sure Bioware doesn´t want it to happen but those who invest in this product (EA )aren´t funding enough to make the neccisery changes to do so (or that the guys on the top are taking a big chunk on that subscriber fee), thats why we the players have to pay more for new content. The F2P system is acctually PM2P ( pay more to play) if you want to play this game to the fullest even as a subscriber)

Edited by Sverrir

The implement of F2P pushed the date back a bit to early January and not to the point where it's arriving sometime in March.

Spring March 20th to June 20th, is Spring in 2013 in the USA according to the almanac.. They have a wide door to get it out... who knows /shrug