Replace Sniper Volley With What?

ScytheEleven

So I'm building an MM sniper right now and loving it. I'm getting to the point where one of my next skill tree selections could be Sniper Volley. From my own viewpoint (and after doing some reading from other people), this skill is pointless. I won't go into detail why I think so, since it's probably been discussed many many times.

My only question is: what should I put that one extra skill point into? Nothing else looks really "must have"...Diversion would be great if it worked on Ops bosses, but hey, it doesn't...so should I just take sniper volley for the energy regen and suck it up?

No idea why you'd replace sniper volley. Set aside the energy regen, which is awesome, and just look at the extra damage it allows you to do. SoS is already a hard hitting ability. My SoS hits for around 4k and with crits I've hit for 8k

So, why on earth wouldn't you want to have that ability ready immediately to fire again???? I actually have a macro set up to fire SoS, Sniper Volley and SoS again. Then follow that up with a 1.5 sec Ambush and Followthrough....well, you get the picture.

p.s. I mainly play PVP

Edited by thefishdude

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400dsrbbMsRRZbc.2

That is my skill tree as of right now (level 41).

Right now my rotation is Shatter Shot (for the armor reduction) > enter cover > Series of Shots > Insta Snipe > Interrogation Probe > Followthrough > Ambush. By that time, Series of Shots has cooled down and I just repeat it again (minus the interrogation probe).

One thing to keep in mind is that Orbital Strike is even good on single targets (e.g. boss fights), and the 10% alacrity and 50% regen really helps. Example rotation:

SoS -- SV -- SoS -- Snipe -- FT -- OS

If you have the 2-piece PvP bonus (one extra tick of OS) on top of that, the amount of damage you get with a <2.4 second cast time is not something to shake a stick at.

I would recommend you read this thread before discounting Sniper Volley:

http://mmo-mechanics.com/swtor/forums/thread-953.html

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#400dsrbbMsRRZbc.2

That is my skill tree as of right now (level 41).

Right now my rotation is Shatter Shot (for the armor reduction) > enter cover > Series of Shots > Insta Snipe > Interrogation Probe > Followthrough > Ambush. By that time, Series of Shots has cooled down and I just repeat it again (minus the interrogation probe).

Where are you getting interrogation probe in your build?

dont bother with scatter shot while leveling unless it's a boss fight

and sniper volley is very good, and there's nothing better to get by going hybrid anyway

sniper is all about energy management, SV helps a ton

Edited by adezero