Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Light side vs Dark side choices

Vinjar

Probably been brought up before but I wish this had been better implemented. I wish there better options when having to make decisions that effect your standing. It seems most of the Dark side choices have you act like a jerk as opposed to making a more diabolical choice. Sometimes I don't want to make either choice but am only given the two options.

I propose a neutral option. Possibly a neutral faction--Cartel?

It can feel you're playing a role not of your choosing when it comes to some of the dialogue options, but the best advice I can give is just to turn off the dark/light side indicator and go with the choice most appropriate to how you envisage your character. Yes there will be times when neither choice feels right for your character, but you know what? you can refuse the quest. That's the neutral option and really there are so many missions in game, that refusing some will not hold your character back one bit.

And before anyone points out that some relics are dependant on light/dark side points. If that is more important to you than character development, then go ahead and meta game. I manage fine with my matrix shard relic and the PvP relic, neither of which have a moral requirement attached.

It can feel you're playing a role not of your choosing when it comes to some of the dialogue options, but the best advice I can give is just to turn off the dark/light side indicator and go with the choice most appropriate to how you envisage your character. Yes there will be times when neither choice feels right for your character, but you know what? you can refuse the quest. That's the neutral option and really there are so many missions in game, that refusing some will not hold your character back one bit.

And before anyone points out that some relics are dependant on light/dark side points. If that is more important to you than character development, then go ahead and meta game. I manage fine with my matrix shard relic and the PvP relic, neither of which have a moral requirement attached.

I see y our point here but at the same point Picking all dark side or light side choices does not equate to meta gaming when developing a character. Though I do think that they should add a neutral option as well.

I totally forgot we could turn off the LS/DS indicator and was unaware (probably because I only look at armor) that there are pvp relics. Thanks.

I remember a quest on Ord Mantell where you are sent to recover stolen Medicine. The hitch: If you return the stolen medicine it's DS and if you let the thief keep it it's LS (yeah, it got stolen from the thief too. So you have to kill the new thievies to get the Medicine).

Probably been brought up before but I wish this had been better implemented. I wish there better options when having to make decisions that effect your standing. It seems most of the Dark side choices have you act like a jerk as opposed to making a more diabolical choice. Sometimes I don't want to make either choice but am only given the two options.

I propose a neutral option. Possibly a neutral faction--Cartel?

Actually, many of the times you can make a light/dark choice, there is a third option that gives no points either way.

I see y our point here but at the same point Picking all dark side or light side choices does not equate to meta gaming when developing a character. Though I do think that they should add a neutral option as well.

If you pick an option solely on whether the game mechanic tells you it is light or dark, then yes that is metagaming. I wasn't using 'metagaming' as a slight by the way; it's quite surprising (and interesting) the amount of options that one might think are 'light' yet result in 'dark' points and vice versa. Edit: Yes Morolac, I too returned the medicine to its rightful owner and was shocked when my character was given dark side points. It's a great example of how light and dark isn't always a direct correlation to what we might thing of as "good" and "evil".

There are also some questionable decisions that don't penalise or reward at all and overall most missions don't have any consequence on your character's morality, at least that is the impression I get. On balance, I'm not sure there does need to be neutral options for every mission - there are only two sides in this war and sometimes our character's will have to make a stand about which side of the line they stand (you do this the moment you pick either Rep or Emp as your first character creation choice ofcourse).

Don't get me wrong, I would love for there to be consequences for rolling up a Rep character who then accumulates dark side points. NPCs become less than friendly forcing me to do business on only disputed planets, for example. But being neutral, whether by accident or design, is pretty much free of consequences as far as I can tell and not something the game caters to. I understand that is your issue, but if you can look at it a little differently - i.e. there are degrees of light and dark and you can choose how far down each road you want to take your characters - then it does become easier to approach those two defined choices. Or at least that has been my experience from the way I have played it.

Edited by KariTalRathe

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.