The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New Assassin Tank

Lumsang

Hi Everyone,

I've been playing for only a few weeks now, and I have some questions about my tank-spec assassin. I've done a lot of reading, but was hoping for some specifics.

First, what should I be looking for in equipment? Right now I've been focused mainly on a balance between willpower and endurance. Is one more important than the other? I keep seeing that willpower is our primary stat, but endurance is #1 for tanks-so which side to I err on?

Secondly, my build. I'm going with a basic 31/0/10. The first one I came across was here.

And I've started following it. However, I've come across some builds that are similar, but have some small changes-for example this one, listed in the codex thread. The main difference that caught my eye was the point in shroud of darkness. This seems more common-should I go back and add pints there?

FInally, how do you all allocate your points? All into one tree, then the other? Or do you build both trees at the same time?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi Everyone,

I've been playing for only a few weeks now, and I have some questions about my tank-spec assassin. I've done a lot of reading, but was hoping for some specifics.

First, what should I be looking for in equipment? Right now I've been focused mainly on a balance between willpower and endurance. Is one more important than the other? I keep seeing that willpower is our primary stat, but endurance is #1 for tanks-so which side to I err on?

Secondly, my build. I'm going with a basic 31/0/10. The first one I came across was here.

And I've started following it. However, I've come across some builds that are similar, but have some small changes-for example this one, listed in the codex thread. The main difference that caught my eye was the point in shroud of darkness. This seems more common-should I go back and add pints there?

FInally, how do you all allocate your points? All into one tree, then the other? Or do you build both trees at the same time?

Thanks for any advice!

The best build is the 2nd you listed. Premonition is a must, with defense bonus, especially versus the worthless electric execution that boost yor dark charge procs by peanuts (not discharge, the proc only)

As far as how to allocate your point, all the way to 31 in darkness first, and madness to boost damage at the end.

The point in shroud of darkness comes as a filler at 35ish to access the 5th tier of the three.

On either of those specs, you have put at least 1 point into Duplicity. It's just one point, and it so worth the added damage and reduced force cost of Maul. Using Spike, and then a procced maul is just amazing.

When is the last time you saw an ops boss fall on his butt to your spike? Or just a flashpoint boss.

Just like nerve wracking, duplicity is to be considered for PvP builds. For pve, only if you are to be an offtank and if you got field respec handy.

When is the last time you saw an ops boss fall on his butt to your spike? Or just a flashpoint boss.

Just like nerve wracking, duplicity is to be considered for PvP builds. For pve, only if you are to be an offtank and if you got field respec handy.

Yes... I am talking about PvP....

Even in PvE though its useful. Situations where you are behind mobs are very common. Of course you cant lift up an Ops boss.... I don't recall myself saying that you could.

Yes... I am talking about PvP....

Even in PvE though its useful. Situations where you are behind mobs are very common. Of course you cant lift up an Ops boss.... I don't recall myself saying that you could.

The few times it can be useful are very scarce. 31/0/10 being a typically PvE build makes me think its mostly what the OP is aiming for with this.

For PvP there are many options for sin tanks. Some with DF, some with wither, some with fade.

Lots of variation there

Thanks for the information! I should have specified that I am primarily looking at PvE tanking. I think PvP would be fun, but I've never personally gotten very good at it, especially with a character I am gearing/speccing for PvE. Perhaps SWTOR will be different.

Again, I appreciate all the advice so far.

That spec is better for PvE tanking, however I would take the two points out of Thrashing Blades and cap off Shrouding Darkness with the full three points. Since you're a tank damage is not your primary concern, how hard you are to drop is.

That spec is better for PvE tanking, however I would take the two points out of Thrashing Blades and cap off Shrouding Darkness with the full three points. Since you're a tank damage is not your primary concern, how hard you are to drop is.

Not exactly true. Damage = threat which IS important. A single point in shroud of darkness is there to access the top tier, since you pretty much have a choice between it and electric execution, which is so poor leaving that point unused is nearly more profitable (sarcasm but still).

2% extra life is not exactly a life saver, unless you take avoidable damage.

It does nothing to your mitigation, adds barely a 1 HP on each ticks of HD FL (2% x 2% x total health) and overall you are better off making more threat on thrash which is used often enough to warrant it.

Thanks again for all the advice. I'm about to hit 40, and the last few levels have been great. I've corrected some of the mistakes I made in my spec, and have had no problem questing or tanking flashpoints.

What should I start looking for in terms of gear as I approach 50? Or will I be doing all my gearing in lvl 50 groups?

Thanks again.

Not exactly true. Damage = threat which IS important. A single point in shroud of darkness is there to access the top tier, since you pretty much have a choice between it and electric execution, which is so poor leaving that point unused is nearly more profitable (sarcasm but still).

2% extra life is not exactly a life saver, unless you take avoidable damage.

It does nothing to your mitigation, adds barely a 1 HP on each ticks of HD FL (2% x 2% x total health) and overall you are better off making more threat on thrash which is used often enough to warrant it.

I would have to disagree. Thrash is so rarely used and costs so much force that the points are better served elsewhere. (I personnaly did use them for the extra endurance/ health regen), but there are other options as well. Thrash just gimps your dmg/threat output, so IMO it's not worth wasting 2 points on.

Edited by Grumpftard