Leveling with friends a level or two above and EXP reduction.

HauksbokT

Okay,

Me and a couple of friends have a number of alts, and we sometimes see that we're up to the same area, and we decide, let's level together. And we've encountered this following problem many times to the point where I don't want to level with them anymore because of the consequences.

We're currently doing Aldaraan bonus series, and we all have rested exp, and bonus xp boosts from the CM.

Our perspective levels are 42, 41 and 40, all on par for aldaraan bonus series, with 42 being slightly ahead.

We tend to do most of the bonus quests cause alot of exp lies there with killing the mobs and the bonus itself.

However, killing reds sometimes gives literally 58 exp, versus 500 exp for a red if we're not grouped, thus, less experience than killing mobs on coruscant at it's perspective level.

This is incredibly counter-productive to group play to the point where I have decided I'm not going to level with them anymore because leveling solo will earn you more experience even when you counter in the fact that you're doing it faster and earning extra exp for completing a group members bonus quest.

Why is it like this bioware? What mechanics in the game make it so it's negatively impacting experience gain to the point where I don't want to party because I can level faster solo.

I fully agree and would love them to introduce the option of auto adjust for levels for teaming

Most MMOs call this sidekicking, so if i was lvl 50 and my mate was on lvl 10 then i could join him and auto lvl down to his lvl and play together. ( my powers would grey out for those obtained after lvl 10 )

I fully agree and would love them to introduce the option of auto adjust for levels for teaming

Most MMOs call this sidekicking, so if i was lvl 50 and my mate was on lvl 10 then i could join him and auto lvl down to his lvl and play together. ( my powers would grey out for those obtained after lvl 10 )

City of Heroes had awesome level scaling five or six hers ago. Made playing with friends easy.

This would be fine too!

But we're talking in the same level range, in an area where our levels on par with!

It's 100 percent pointless to level with them :/

This game (and all MMOs with levels really) needs a level adjusting system bad. More people are going to play your game if they can play with their friends more. Level adjusting allows for more people to play together more, plain and simple and that is a core selling point of a game being an MMO.

Hmm... very strange. I'll need to pay attention to that. I group a great deal and level up with friends on my alts. And.. thus far, although I have not looked at closely, I seem to level faster when grouping with friends at level. I even capped a toon this way and hit 50 before Voss.

Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out and see if the same holds true for my other alts.

Something is amiss here, I mean 42 is the highest, and you're fighting level 42/43 in areas of that bonus series, you should not be losing any XP

Yeah most of the posters in this thread are missing the OP's point. He's not talking about a mentor system so that people of different levels can level together.... he's talking about when he grouped with appropriate level friends on appropriate level mobs, why do they get so much less xp per kill?

Could it be that you get less xp per kill but you kill a lot faster?

Hmm... I've always felt that I've lvl:ed faster when grouping with others. Not that I've looked at each individual kill for the amount of experience it netted. Rather from how long it's taken me to lvl:ing my Sith Warrior soloing on the imperial side versus lvl:ing with guildies on the republic side.

I am less interested how much xp I get from every single kill and more interested in the overall xp-gain. I've felt it as lvl:ing with other players was much faster.

However, killing reds sometimes gives literally 58 exp, versus 500 exp for a red if we're not grouped, thus, less experience than killing mobs on coruscant at it's perspective level.

This is incredibly counter-productive to group play to the point where I have decided I'm not going to level with them anymore because leveling solo will earn you more experience even when you counter in the fact that you're doing it faster and earning extra exp for completing a group members bonus quest.

Why would someone get the same XP from a 3 person kill of a mob that they would get from a solo kill of the same mob? That wouldn't make any sense as grouping would far outpace solo play in terms of XP. In a group, you're killing more and killing faster so that is supposed to balance the XP difference somewhat. See the following dev comments for explanation: http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/15797-damion-schubert-on-balancing-group-solo-xp

You also get a bigger bonus for completing group quests than you do solo quests and the quest XP is more tied into the completion bonus than just mauling trash mobs. But if you're more worried about your XP and leveling rate than you are playing with your friends and enjoying the game, then play whatever way power-levels you up fastest.

I am a part of the three people levelling. I was the level 40 guy.

Killing a level 40 normal in the group was gaining me 48 experience.

Killing a level 40 normal when not in the group was gaining me 487 experience.

Killing a level 40 strong in the group was gaining me 286 experience.

Killing a level 40 strong when not in the group was gaining me 1647 experience.

No reason to group at all. There should be incentives to grouping, not the opposite. Yes, when we complete the bonus, the extra 1800 experience is nice, but we would have earned ALOT more exp along the way doing it solo.

Why would someone get the same XP from a 3 person kill of a mob that they would get from a solo kill of the same mob? That wouldn't make any sense as grouping would far outpace solo play in terms of XP. In a group, you're killing more and killing faster so that is supposed to balance the XP difference somewhat. See the following dev comments for explanation: http://www.darthhater.com/articles/swtor-news/15797-damion-schubert-on-balancing-group-solo-xp

You also get a bigger bonus for completing group quests than you do solo quests and the quest XP is more tied into the completion bonus than just mauling trash mobs. But if you're more worried about your XP and leveling rate than you are playing with your friends and enjoying the game, then play whatever way power-levels you up fastest.

The exp you lose from mobs alone is phenomenal, I level'd up from 41-50 in just over a few hours, yet with friends it's annoying to get from 35-38 :/ and all the exp you get from doing it with friends completing their missions etc is not even CLOSE to making it up. It's definitely slower by a decent margin.

Sure, if this wasn't our hundredth alt to soon to be 50 we might not care (our server sucks so leveling is alot better than sitting in Q's for an hour.

The thing is, with 3 people, they still get way less than a third of the experience they would've gotten if they were alone. If it were just a third, then they would've gotten about 167 experience each, not 58. So there seems to be something off on the experience adjustments.

In my opinion, all players should always get the full experience for their level per kill. Grouping should be rewarding, not discouraging in a MMORPG. Then again, Bioware has never cared much about the cooperative multiplayer aspect, as can be seen by the lack of features like chat bubbles that make communication and thus cooperation with other players easier, for example.