One change to BH mercenary

Onymus

Change the 2nd tier ability Surgical Precision System to 1 point and make it make rapid scan and healing scan instant cast but with a cooldown for the normal casting time. This would not affect PVE in too much since that skill already affects casting time. It does not change heat management. It benefits PvP making healing on the move possible and eliminating interrupts to those abilities. Having be a 2nd tier ability would hopefully not terribly impact the spec of most mercs out there.

Since Surgical Precision System is now 1 point Empowered scans could be changed to a 3 point skill with a 2/4/6 bonus progression.

There are a lot of mercenaries out there that are frustrated with the current state of the class. I think this could be a workable change.

If there is a cooldown then the timing of the heals don't change. On top of that with a cooldown that means that the Mercenary could not pop power surge and do a double healing cast in their rotation. The total amount of healing done would change very little except for the healing being done is on the front end instead of waiting for a castbar to complete.

I don't really see what you are complaining about.

Edited by Onymus
grammar

Who cares about the timing if left to free cast.

PVP is not a free casting environment, you're suggesting all cast heals become instant, uninterruptable.

In other words a merc can sit there under attack, healing away at maximum efficiency irregardless.

Like I said, copying operatives is not a good thing, they already need minimal babysitting because of their escape mechanisms and instant heals.

Deadlocks due to extremely hard to kill healers are no fun.

Edited by Gyronamics

Yes, what I suggested about having a cooldown instead of castbar for healing is a buff. I do not agree that my suggestion would be overpowered.

Mercenaries have trouble with damage mitigation. Mercenaries are too easily killed at the moment. Right now we can use energy shield for mitigation and then try and heal ourselves. So they need a buff either with energy shield, healing or they need a new skill. There have been many posts suggesting new skills or modifications to damage dealing skills. I think that my suggestion would not be overpowered and works within the already existing mechanic of healing ourselves to offset damage.

You may think that having insta-cast basic healing skills with a cooldown is overpowered. I do not agree. Heat would build up quickly and just like any other healer I would get stuck in a healing loop just healing myself until I became overheated or the damage caught up to me. I could still get stunned/snared/rooted so I could not run away. The entire time I would be healing myself I would not be damaging you (except for DoTs if a pyro). I would argue that if the healing was the only thing to change I would just be a slower kill 1 on 1. What my suggestion would do is make me survive for a longer time giving teammates a chance to bail me out or the healing on the run would let me LOS or otherwise escape.

Mercenaries don't have any other escape mechanisms like operative do. I don't think your argument about this idea making mercs like operatives is accurate.

Yes trying to kill a healer for a long period of time can be less than fun. Without any other escape abilities a deadlock would be unlikely. DPS mercenaries lasting only a few seconds in most encounters is definately a lot less fun.

Edited by Onymus