Cyrillic in the chat (Russian Topic)

Buks

• Replies 849
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would like to rise this problem.

There is no support for cyrillic in the chat.

I think this is the issue, because SWTOR is officialy released in Russia, and we need suport for cyrrilic letters ingame.

Thank you for understanding.

Thank god no russian chat XD /dance /party /dance

We dont want weird letter in the chat.

Edited by Brainstormz

Eto bolshaya oshibka.

See I used transliteration, to spell "that's a big mistake". Do you feel better that you don't understand latin rather then cyrillic?

It's a common rule in MMO not to use 'wrong' language, say Russian or Spanish on an English server. But in private communication it will save much hassle by just typing cyrillic.

Be that as it may, from my experience in mmo´s, and risking generalizing an entire country, Russian players are far more willing to use cyrillic in general chat than a portuguese speaking portuguese in chat.

Maybe i should have phrased my initial comment better, but i dont think its a bad idea to allow Russians to speak their own language only in guild, /say or /private chats, the same would apply to any other languages that are not listed as official server languages....

How to implement it? dunno.

And please tell me(honestly) how are you not being double standard if you read russian forums/newsboards/etc(not to mention the father of it all M.Zadornov :)

You coming into this thread and saying how rude russians to other nations, i dont see how this statment touch topic of Cyrillic, its only looks like you trying to make this ppl hate us more.

And Im not using double standarts, my boyfriend is englishman and native nigerian. I do not separate ppl by nations, ok.

Honestly, the only valid concern you could have is the letters that don't have a Latin equivalent, if there are any. For example, in Serbian alphabet, we have the letter "Љ", which simply doesn't exist as a latin letter, but we use two Latin letters, "lj" to transliterate it and it's no issue whatsoever. If there are letters that have no transliteration from Russian Cyrillic to English Latin alphabet, then I get ya, but after looking up the Russian alphabet on Wikipedia, I see no such letters.

Look better. About 2/3 of Russian letters don't have direct analogues in english alphabet, so different combinations are used (up to 4 english letters per 1 russian), some letters are impossible to transliterate at all and they are usually ommited, also there is no any kind of an official system, and many common vocal conversion are rather obscure. The resulting gibberish is usually so bad, that using transliteration is banned on most Russian sites, and people who don't have access to Russian keyboards for any reason are required to use online convertors or virtual keyboards.

Anyway, I don't see how using transliteration is better for anybody than cyrillics - those who don't speak Russian would not understand it as well, and it would be just as annoying (probably even more, since its not instantly obvious someone is typing in a foreign language).

You coming into this thread and saying how rude russians to other nations, i dont see how this statment touch topic of Cyrillic, its only looks like you trying to make this ppl hate us more.

And Im not using double standarts, my boyfriend is englishman and native nigerian. I do not separate ppl by nations, ok.

I'm sorry but why do you think it is appropriate to point out that people are being rude to you here, without remembering how people are rude on the other side of the barricades.I have lot of russian friends, and my father is russian(and lives in Moscow), and i certainly don't want people to hate anyone.I'm just trying to be objective about the reasons people here are what they are.

My wife is from the Ukraine, i don't understand - we are comparing for a competition or what?

Tbh, I'm Finnish. And I speak English in party.

Quite good of you. You even type latin letters to write English or Finnish words. Russians does not. That's why cyrillic letters in guild and group chats is an issue we demand to be solved.

There are letters wich have no direct equivalent, but we can translate them as two- or three-letter combination. There are 8 or 9 such letters (of 33). And two letters (Ъ, Ь) have no equivalent at all, we translate them both as '.

Those last two letters are what I meant. Odd really, that there's no Latin equivalent, wonder how it works when you're forced to, say, sign your name in Latin?

In Serbian, we have "ш, ђ, ч, ћ, ж, џ" and transliterate them as "š, đ, č, ć, ž, dž" though often we just write them as "s, dj, c, c, z, dz" and simply read/distinguish letters from context (some also use "sh, dj, tj, ch, zj, dzj", which makes the meaning more accurate/obvious, but it's far more rare). Don't suppose you have a similar, nonofficial standard like that for writing on the internet?

Edited by Vrachara

yeah, for EVERYONE!

its not enjoyable to talk to my russian friend through another language. Would YOU enjoy that if you would be on my place?

We just asking for unicode in private/party/guild charts, how da hell it touchs you?

Oh well i can smell some double standarts over here...

Because if it was supported it would invariably be used in the general chat to the annoyance of everyone who doesn't understand it and who want to play on a genuine english speaking server.

The mere notion that it'd be implemented strictly in guild/private chats is a rediculous one.

The simple point here is that quite a few russian speaking players are generally rude and abrasive and will even use their cyrillic simply annoy people who ask them to speak english in the global channels.

If you're denying that you're just being intentionally daft.

Edited by Crowleyz

Those last two letters are what I meant. Odd really, that there's no Latin equivalent, wonder how it works when you're forced to, say, sign your name in Latin?

In Serbian, we have "ш, ђ, ч, ћ, ж, џ" and transliterate them as "š, đ, č, ć, ž, dž" though often we just write them as "s, dj, c, c, z, dz" and simply read/distinguish letters from context (some also use "sh, dj, tj, ch, zj, dzj", which makes the meaning more accurate/obvious, but it's far more rare). Don't suppose you have a similar, nonofficial standard like that for writing on the internet?

There is a semi-official rule in Russia how to transliterate things to Latin alphabet (used, for example, in driver's license). Still, it's hard to read and use. Honestly. :)

Look better. About 2/3 of Russian letters don't have direct analogues in english alphabet, so different combinations are used (up to 4 english letters per 1 russian), some letters are impossible to transliterate at all and they are usually ommited, also there is no any kind of an official system, and many common vocal conversion are rather obscure. The resulting gibberish is usually so bad, that using transliteration is banned on most Russian sites, and people who don't have access to Russian keyboards for any reason are required to use online convertors or virtual keyboards.

Anyway, I don't see how using transliteration is better for anybody than cyrillics - those who don't speak Russian would not understand it as well, and it would be just as annoying (probably even more, since its not instantly obvious someone is typing in a foreign language).

Yeah fair enough, I suppose it's harder for Russian than for Serbian. Again, that's what I was initially asking as I wasn't sure, only gave Wikipedia a quick glance and saw your alphabet was very similar to ours, so I figured you'd have ways around it. Personally, we omit some letters (see my previous post a page back [or two, depending on how fast this thread moves]) and never have a problem with it, but yeah, if that's really that horrible in Russian, I suppose I understand ya.

As for why it "helps", it's because allowing non English alphabets encourages speaking publicly in those languages. Your point of Russian looking/sounding weird and not being natural for you to type with Latin only strengthens the fact. Without the Cyrillic being enabled in the game, you still can speak Russian, but because it's more odd, unless you're talking with someone privately (or with a group/guild full of Russians), there's less chance you will do it.

Edited by Vrachara

There are several official and several unofficial standards, and they are slightly different.

And they are changing :) For example, I have letter "я" in surname. I has bank cards where I transliterated this letter as "ya". After that, I made a foreign passport, where officials wrote this as "ia", so I've changed my cards to this transliteration. And my mother has the same surname, and in passport it's "ja" :)

If there are letters "ъ,ь" in name or surname - they are simply ommitted in most cases.

It is silly polemic and a senseless throwing excrements each other...

I'm Russian and for me am not difficult to communicate in English with other English-speaking people... But if I communicate with Russian the person to communicate I wish in Russian...

And all remarks mind, I regard as racism and I ask employees Bioware to take corresponding measures on suppression of cases in point.

/facepalm

*Professor's voice* I don't want live in this country anymore!

Anyway... As for me, i'm planning to play with english-speaking people so i can improve my own english. That's not the only reason, but still...

And i can admit, though, that translit is somewhat REALLY annoying to use and read. I bet BW won't give a single fu...dge about people speaking their native language in general chat. Same as Blizzard did. So what's the difference between "таким написанием сообщений" and "takim napisaniem soobsheniy" for english-speaking people? In both cases they have no idea what this is about.

Well, i hope i will be wrong and BW will keep general chat clean...

Edited by Kligan

Those two are of a little concern and are usually ommited (and/or they modify how the other characters near them are transliterated). Its not just about letters, but syllables which are a total mess - most don't have analogues, and those that sound kind of similar are used. But everyone have a different feel on what is "similar"... Well, I have a common 6 letter name, and 2 of my credit cards and an international passport all have it spelled differenly.

I support Unicode. I barely read and write cyrillic but I do believe that not allowing it (and other non-Roman characters) won't stop people from writing on their own language in general channels, they will just use a transcription for it. Only respect towards the others on the server can help in this matter.

I played on an international server, we had people from the UK, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Poland, the Czech Republic, Hungary, the Netherlands, Russia etc. and everybody were speaking English just because that was the language all of us understood.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.