PvP and to a lesser extent PvE armor progession

chadbrewer

This is simply a plea to stop making older armor sets useless with each addition set added. I don't mind grinding new gear and getting new armor, it's fun but I hate when my work becomes meaningless. That battle master set I worked so hard for becomes cheap, then it gets taken away. Now war hero is becoming cheap too? What did I spend all that time for? It's frustrating for newer 50s too. they've started to grind out a few wh pieces maybe and now it becomes cheap and everyone has it now. By leaving in battlemaster at least the 50s that have played a little while will feel like they have something more invested in their character other than the guy that just hit 50 20 minutes ago. Then if you keep the previous sets in, you don't have to make the new gear so damn expensive because you only have 2 tiers of gear.

I still have plenty to do now that I finally have a full set. I have fun. But with the way things are going it makes me feel like i could just quit for a year then catch up in a couple weeks. It makes me want to quit. Thats why I finally said goodbye to EverQuest.

MMO's having moving goal posts? WHAT MADNESS IS THIS? But seriously, what you're asking in essence is to slow gear progression to suit your particular rate of progression. So what about the players who are more active than you, should they be bored while they wait for new things to do? It's always a tough question to answer for designers, how soon is too soon to be shifting the progression goal posts? I think they have found a fairly good middle ground.

I never asked to slow progression down, I want my hard work to not be thrown out the window. I'm totally fine with them adding new armor sets. What annoys me is that the tier below gets thrown out the window and then recruit is upgraded and given away for free. I feel like if someone just waits 3 months after new gear is released, they can get the gear in 1/3 of the time.

I have a character and companion in full war hero. In previous mmos I've never been in the top tier armor sets and my opinion hasn't changed whether I was on one side of the fence or the other

Edited by chadbrewer

When something that was originally crazy difficult to get becomes incredibly easy to get, it devalues the item and time it took to obtain it. Why did I even bother? Sure that's going to happen in an mmo but does it have to happen all the time? If you keep all the gear progression items at a reasonable cost, the top tier gear doesn't have to be ridiculously priced because it will still take just as long to get it if you are a new 50. Hell I don't even care if the top tier gear is made more reasonable, I was just offering a sound alternative. I just prefer for my time not to feel waisted and not give a free ride for everyone to the top.

When something that was originally crazy difficult to get becomes incredibly easy to get, it devalues the item and time it took to obtain it. Why did I even bother? Sure that's going to happen in an mmo but does it have to happen all the time? If you keep all the gear progression items at a reasonable cost, the top tier gear doesn't have to be ridiculously priced because it will still take just as long to get it if you are a new 50. Hell I don't even care if the top tier gear is made more reasonable, I was just offering a sound alternative. I just prefer for my time not to feel waisted and not give a free ride for everyone to the top.

PvE progression will almost always be a vertical shift since they want players to feel like they're progressing, i.e. making the lower content easier for them at their current power level. It's what drives the PvE crowd to one extent or the other.

As for PvP, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a horizontal shift whereby, the stats stay relatively unchanged (from a "stat pool" perspective) but there are more options for looks and set bonuses. I can see this working out well and possibly allowing for some unconventional builds with the right set bonuses.

Edited by althene

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.