kenatic ward yes or no

xfightx

hi , i was wondring if its true that in pvp shield is useless?

i mean i wanna play shadow full tank in pvp that means

31/1/9 in full pvp tank gear (survivor) and i wonder if its effective as playing 31/1/9 or 27/1/14 in stalker gear with out shield but focus

Shield is useless against force/tech attacks, but very useful vs ranged/melee. So like in PvE it all depends on the enemy you're facing. Pop your KW against lolrauders, snipers, mercenaries, forget it when facing sorcerers or pyrotechs for example. Anyway, except for 1vs1, any tank's survivability can only be guaranteed by a strong healer, so don't forget to protect yours :)

If you are going full survivor gear, then yes, definitely get kinetic ward. If you are going full survivor then it means your whole goal is to mitigate more damage so kinetic ward is great.

If you are going to use DPS gear in tank spec then kinetic ward is less useful. Even with a shield, your absorb rate is going to be extremely low so even if you do shield something, most of the damage will still get through. however, if you are going to actually tank then I'd say go kinetic ward anyways, every little helps! If you are just soloing in tank spec with DPS gear then probably dont bother.

Shield is useless against force/tech attacks, but very useful vs ranged/melee. So like in PvE it all depends on the enemy you're facing. Pop your KW against lolrauders, snipers, mercenaries, forget it when facing sorcerers or pyrotechs for example. Anyway, except for 1vs1, any tank's survivability can only be guaranteed by a strong healer, so don't forget to protect yours :)

PTs have 2 useful ranged attacks. That would be Railshot (the thing critting you for 4k) and the 3s channeled ability.

Every class except sorcs uses melee/ranged attacks against you. Even sorcs may use it if speed is on cd and you have your lolshield up.

So get KW and keep it up all the time.

Slightly off topic: I would argue that the gain of 4 or respectivly 6 force per shielding justifies the loss of ~200 force power for the tank hybrid in dps gear and the small DR of 20% per shielding is just the icing on the cake.

Hmmm, went and got a screenshot from my Shadowtank with KW active:

http://i1091.photobucket.com/albums/i383/Friar_Chris/Screenshot_2012-12-06_02_36_31_997887.jpg

As you can see, I'm pretty modestly geared, but with KW up, I have shield chance of 53%, with absorption of 41.21%. As far as I calculate, (given my base Damage Reduction of 38.74%) this means that for every incoming Energy/Kinetic based attack other than Force-based attacks, I have a 53% chance of only taking 20% damage... I.e. a ~ 1 in 2 chance of resisting 80% of an attack. (plus a 23.71% chance of deflecting a weapon-based attack at 100% accuracy in the first place...)

Seems worth popping to me (more than 50% chance of resisting 80% of damage? yes please) - sure, an enemy Sorcerer will bypass that shield entirely, but in so doing, they don't use up any KW charges, so I might as well have it up to protect me from excess crossfire in the meantime from other enemies - since PvP is realistically rarely 1v1; and to be fair if I was going take a Sorc on, I'd probably pop Resilience and save my stun for until my Resilience wears off so as to keep him impotent as long as possible - because let's face it. no Sorc/Sage is going to have a chance of doing melee damage to me whilst Resilience is up, now is she :rolleyes:

Inb4 'lol your Shadow sucks'... I'm not hardcore enough to grind for better gear :p

Edited by QuiQuaeQuod

As far as I calculate

You're doing the math wrong. The contributions of DR and Absorb are not additive; they're multiplicative. As such, assuming the attack isn't dodged and mitigated completely, you have a 47% chance of taking 61.26% damage (only your DR is applied) and a 53% chance of taking 36.01% damage ((1 - 0.4121) * (1 - 0.3874)). The 64% mitigation you get from shielding is a far cry from the 80% you were expecting.