[Video] 1.5 Powertech Pyro PVP Guide

Sippix

I put together a guide for the build I run with and how to spec and gear for it. I also talk about rotations, and some other skills to use in damage dealing situations. This really only covers the damage aspect of PT Pyro PVP and not the situational/taunt abilities. I do have an older video from 1.3 that gets WAY more into detail about other situational abilities, and even though the guide is dated, that part of the video is still relevant. Feel free to leave questions and comments below.

I like it! Makes me want to PvP with my PT again, which is something. I didn't catch that Thermal Detonator and Explosive Dart no longer shared a cooldown when I read the patch notes, so I definitely learned something there! I also dig your rotation.

One thing, and I haven't tested it, but isn't the Sorc/Sage bubble just a certain amount of damage and it pops? By that I mean, it doesn't matter how long you wait or how you front load up the damage, it will pop when it takes enough damage. By that reasoning, you should go ahead and burst as much as possible to get it down quickly so they have to wait longer before casting it again.

The only thing that could affect my reasoning there is if the shield absorbs the extra damage on the last attack. For example,

250 "hitpoint" shield

three attacks of 100 apiece

first attack = fully absorbed, 150 "hitpoints" left

second attack = fully absorbed, 50 "hitpoints" left

third attack = EITHER fully absorbed OR partially absorbed, sage/sorc takes 50 damage

If it works the former way, it might make sense to ramp up the damage instead of bursting them down fast at the beginning.

If it works the second way, it doesn't matter how you change your rotation, in fact, burst is better so they can't recast the bubble as quickly.

A potential error in your commentary in your remarks about sweltering heat starting with, "everytime you apply flame burst" @ approximately 1:10 - 1:42.

Sweltering Heat is not guarenteed to apply its effects consecutively.

CGC applications will proc Sweltering Heat for no more than 2 times in a row if CGC is first applied via any method (e.g. flame burst, rapid shots, unload, railshot).

To enable Sweltering Heat the ability to be applied again, you must either:

Wait for the entire CGC dot to not be present on your target.

or

Have another railshot refresh the CGC dot on your target (Superheated Rail).

If you would like to test this for yourself, you can easily do so at a target dummy.

Edited by Evuo

I put together a guide for the build I run with and how to spec and gear for it. I also talk about rotations, and some other skills to use in damage dealing situations. This really only covers the damage aspect of PT Pyro PVP and not the situational/taunt abilities. I do have an older video from 1.3 that gets WAY more into detail about other situational abilities, and even though the guide is dated, that part of the video is still relevant. Feel free to leave questions and comments below.

NIce post thank you!

One thing, and I haven't tested it, but isn't the Sorc/Sage bubble just a certain amount of damage and it pops? By that I mean, it doesn't matter how long you wait or how you front load up the damage, it will pop when it takes enough damage. By that reasoning, you should go ahead and burst as much as possible to get it down quickly so they have to wait longer before casting it again.

Yes, the Sorc/Sage bubble does absorb a certain amount of damage before popping. The amount absorbed is directly relative to the stats a Sorc/Sage has. The better geared a Sorc/Sage is, and the better the bubble will be. On a Recruit-geared Sorc/Sage, their bubble will absorb about 3k damage before popping. On a fully augmented WH Sorc/Sage, they can absorb about 5k damage.

You don't want to have the bubble absorb all of your TD and then 1k of your RS. Instead, you want to pop the bubble before you try stacking the burst damage on TD+RS. The most effective way to do this is via ED+FB. ED will crit for ~2.7K for me, FB crits for ~2k, and CGC crits for ~1k. That more than enough to pop a WH-geared Sorc/Sage bubble and still be able to apply the full burst damage of TD+RS. This is why it's important to use Explosive Fuel in a fresh opener, to get the near-guaranteed crits. Even if everything does not crit (i.e. EF is on CD, or you get really unlucky), you stil apply 90% on your burst damage, rather than just 25%.

A potential error in your commentary in your remarks about sweltering heat starting with, "everytime you apply flame burst" @ approximately 1:10 - 1:42.

I was testing this in WZ's, and I found that with each application of CGC (either from FB or Superheated Rail), you will apply the Sweltering Heat snare ONLY if it is not already present. That means, under ideal circumstances, there is a one second lapse between each possible application of the Sweltering Heat snare.

So, I was wrong in my statement that the snare is applied every time you use FB/RS (on burning targets), however, the concept still remains the same for the usage of the synergy.

Edited by Sippix
Typographical

I was testing this in WZ's, and I found that with each application of CGC (either from FB or Superheated Rail), you will apply the Sweltering Heat snare ONLY if it is not already present. That means, under ideal circumstances, there is a one second lapse between each possible application of the Sweltering Heat snare.

Just to clarify:

Sweltering Heat can be applied at most two times consecutively via any of the following (e.g. Rapid Shots, Flame Burst, Railshot, Unload). Superheated Rail will always apply Sweltering Heat and allow you to reapply Sweltering Heat two more times (acting as a sort of reset button) via any of the aforementioned abilities.

So, I was wrong in my statement that the snare is applied every time you use FB/RS

Which was the comment in question. It makes quite difference having the slow limited to such conditions rather than always being eligible for application as the tooltips would seem to indicate.

... Sweltering Heat can be applied at most two times consecutively via any of the following (e.g. Rapid Shots, Flame Burst, Railshot, Unload). Superheated Rail will always apply Sweltering Heat and allow you to reapply Sweltering Heat two more times (acting as a sort of reset button) via any of the aforementioned abilities. ... It makes quite difference having the slow limited to such conditions rather than always being eligible for application as the tooltips would seem to indicate.

All things considered, it's really actually a sweet Skill to have - Despite the previous nerf from 50% to 30%, and the fact Sweltering Heat isn't applied with every use of FB. It's a great kiting tool, and it works very, very well for snaring heals that are trying to escape.

I would love to see the snare buffed back to 50% again, since player tracking is absolutely horrid in this game. Being a 4m - 10m AC, you'd think we'd have a substantial snare.

I'm going to be making a key binding video very soon with tips and tricks. It will also include interface editor tips. Of course, it will all be centered around pvp, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't be applicable to pve, as well.

Havent got around to watching the videos but definitely will soon.

May as well ask: how would you gear a fresh 50 powertech? Gonna have one soon with 1.6. What gear should I get to start, then how should I min-max?

Edit: nvm, it is shown in your vid. Awesome on you for doing that. The question is now, does anything change with 1.6 and EWH? Def gotta watch your vids in more detail now.

Edited by Z-ToXiN

The question is now, does anything change with 1.6 and EWH?

Yeah, from what I've see, the EWH Implants and Ear aren't as good as the WH versions for the build I run, and the primary stat gains are pretty worthless for secondary stats that are replaced.

It's still going to be a better idea to buy the set pieces first for the Armoring 27's, since the Armoring pieces offer a way higher stat gain than the Power mod and enhancement pieces from the gloves and boots.

Now that Ive watched your video in full (thanks for giving me something to do at maintenance), I have to say: excellent work. A great commentary to explain hwt to play from the basics. Im not new to the class but Im certainly no expert on it, its great to have all of this extra info and reinforcement. I especially like how you explain how to fight healers.

Very excited to play my Powertech in 1.6. Gonna have complete full WH when I hit 50.

I love your video and it was extremely helpful. I was wondering on one item to see what you thought.

If you put only 1 point into intimidation, thereby giving you just a 2% bump to all fire effects, and instead put 1 point into Hot Iron. That would net you 5% bonus instead of 4% for your flame burst. One thing I wasn't sure about was, is the proc from CGC considered a "fire" effect? Even if it is, the amount of times I use flame burst is probably significantly more than the amount of times CGC procs. But I am not sure.

Just wondered what you thought about that.

Thanks in advance.

Could you put this into a blog please.

Sorry to say but I can't stand video guides. I can read and put to memory pages of information in minutes ... video guides are like humans telling stories before the printed language was invented thousands of years ago. Incredibly inefficient. Granted parallel to video.

Appreciate the time and effort though.

Edited by Tamanous

Sorry to say but I can't stand video guides. I can read and put to memory pages of information in minutes ... video guides are like humans telling stories before the printed language was invented thousands of years ago. Incredibly inefficient. Granted parallel to video.

While watching this vid I wrote down the following for my own quick reference. Hope this helps a bit.

Rotation: against Healers:

Rapid Shots > Explosive Dart > Thermal Detonator > Rail Shot > Rocket Punch > Rail Shot > Flame Burst > Rapid Shots

Against DPS: leave out Explosive Dart

Alternate Rapid Shots and Flame Burst until Rocket Punch is off CD

Incediary Missile if under 30% and close fight, and can afford heat

Explosive Fuel: use often, esp. on healers

Vent Heat: use whenever necessary at ~60%, then be careful

Thermal Sensor Override: save for big burst on healers

Now that Ive watched your video in full (thanks for giving me something to do at maintenance), I have to say: excellent work. A great commentary to explain hwt to play from the basics. Im not new to the class but Im certainly no expert on it, its great to have all of this extra info and reinforcement. I especially like how you explain how to fight healers.

Very excited to play my Powertech in 1.6. Gonna have complete full WH when I hit 50.

Thanks! I appreciate that! Sorry for the delay, I've been working hard trying to get RL stuff done and my EWH grind finished. :rak_03:

Awesome video. Going to dust off my Pyro PT right now...

Are there any other class videos of this quality out on YouTube ?

Thanks!

None that I personally know of. There's other video guides, but fromt he ones I've seen, they don't give a lot of detail in one aspect or another.

I love your video and it was extremely helpful. I was wondering on one item to see what you thought.

If you put only 1 point into intimidation, thereby giving you just a 2% bump to all fire effects, and instead put 1 point into Hot Iron. That would net you 5% bonus instead of 4% for your flame burst. One thing I wasn't sure about was, is the proc from CGC considered a "fire" effect? Even if it is, the amount of times I use flame burst is probably significantly more than the amount of times CGC procs. But I am not sure.

Just wondered what you thought about that.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, all Powertech elemental damage (other than IGC) is considered a Fire Effect. This means that FB, CGC, IM, FT all benefit from Intimidation. If you only put 1 point into Intimidation, there would not be a substantial gain in DPS over short periods of damage - which is what Pyro PVP DPS is. Intimidation with your CGC and IM dot applied to targets under 30% almost doubles that potential 2% FB damage lost from not spec'ing into Hot Iron. Also, remember that you don't just FB until PPA proc - You're using other abilities to either manage heat, set up burst, get your PPA proc, or CC. During that time, your CGC should always be ticking on your opponent. The harder CGC ticks, the more damage you're able to do while using fillers.

Sorry, but I'm not just sitting there telling you a story. There's a lot "show-and-tell" occurring the video via demonstration. It's actually more practical to have a visual walk-through, rather than simple text, when it comes to relating complex information. If you have an issue with information retention, that's not my problem - Although, you are more than welcome to make your own text guide using the information provided in my video.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the guide.

It was really useful to a returning player.

One question, I've bought the eliminator pieces for the set bonus, and now i need to buy the next round of items for the power mods.

What pieces of pvp armour are you buying to rip out the power mods and enhancements?

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Xerzil

Great video. Just had a quick question.

In the Shield Tech tree I see you put the final 2 points into Intimidation. Wouldn't it be better to take a point out of Rail Loaders and max out Intimidation? Wouldn't 2% more damage to all Fire effects be better than a 3% boost to just Rail Shot?

:rak_02: