The best Jedi for PvP??? Guard-Sent-Or-Shadow!?

Red-Chief

There's really no contest here. Sentinels have it all. They have all the CC and utility the guardian does stacked with group DPS buff, group speed, invincibility, invisibility, better mobility, and better damage. Sentinels are out of control in PvP.

I see questions like this in almost any MMO I've played, and rarely are things so imbalanced that one class is completely uber over all the others.

Figure out what each approach's playstyle and find what's right for you. That's always the answer for questions like this. If your happiness in any MMO is dependent on having a slight edge over other classes, get used to disappointment. If there was too much of an edge, it'll most likely be nerfed or adjusted at some point. If it wasn't that much of an edge, you're having delusions of grandeur.

If you feel like being stealthy with your Jedi, go Shadow. If you like force powers, that's what Sages and such are for. If that feels weird to you, go Guardian or Sentinel. I went Guardian tank because that felt like the epitome of being a Jedi for me, and I rolled another Guardian to go for the Vigilance tree because I liked the sound of single saber combat over all the "I'm too cool for school" other Jedis with their double and staff lightsabers. ;)

To be honest, I think they all rock. I play a guardian tank in PvP, and do pretty well. No complaints at all with teh class or the mechanics. The sentinels are absolutely top notch dps with some decent utility, and shadows are great utility. They are all solid choices. It is more a question of what style you prefer to play.

Sentinels are GREAT dps in pvp and they can dip out with their cool downs when things get hairy .. but thats almost all they have aside from transcendence (the group speed boost, inspiration doesn't really do much in pvp.) Guardians have the best utility between all the jedi when it comes to pvp imo. They can take a bit more of a beating as dps thanks to the heavy armor, have that huge focus aoe for dps and awe (the group aoe) is amazing when trying to defuse doors / capture things etc. Guardian leap is the single best skill aside from sage pull in huttball. I wear a shield during huttball so if I get the ball I can swap stances on the run and give myself a little more survivability, leap to an enemy, leap to a teammate then leap to another enemy (get the ball from our endzone to enemies in 10 seconds xD.) Shadows are awesome at dps and tanking plus stealth makes them a great asset when needed to guard things, they can stealth cc and wait for help to arrive if they're alone on a turret. Sages are awesome group healers but get focused down pretty fast. Stick to a DPS hybrid sage as they can tear people apart with dots and TK throw. I run both a 50 sage and guardian and usually top the damage charts (focus aoe is awesome and again, sage's eat people up.)

TL:DR

Sage for ranged dps / heals (you can spot heal in a pinch too)

Guardian for tanky dps and awesome versatility

Shadows for stealth and cc's galore

Sent's for highest dps (if done correctly) - but that's all they can do

Let me start out by saying I have a 50 Guardian, 50 Shadow and a 50 Marauder (Imperial Sentinel).

Guardians can be very frustrating in PVP. Everyone seems to know exactly what to do to take you out. And fast. But it's also my best geared PVP toon. I love the class, it's just weak in PVP.

Marauders/Sentinels are one of the best PVP classes. They have a lot of utility, do a LOT of damage (LOLSMASH!) and are quite surviveable.

Shadows are fun 1v1 because pretty much no one can beat you, except maybe a well geared Vanguard/Powertech that knows what they are doing. But I find the rotation to be a bit boring. That and if you've ever got steamrolled by a premade that's running nothing but Assasins/Shadows, you learn to hate them. Even if you like playing them.

In the end, you need to play what you like. Just be prepared to appreciate the following:

Guardian - You'll be dead. A lot. But a fun class. Hey, Obiwan was one!

Sentinel - Tons of fun. But everyone else is playing one.

Shadow - Good 1v1 and Huttball. 2 or more and you're toast.

Former watchman spec sentinel (retired) , hybrid shadow (retired) and fresh faced guardian here.

Running a smash tank hybrid.

For me Guardian is the hands down winner we just have so much utility. The only class that can take me 1v1 is a very well played marauder/sent if your getting beat of snipers then your playing it wrong. We can hold a node v 5-6 men when all defs are off CD for more than long enough for reinforcements. We can keep the healer alive and if the healer is repaying the favour then your a guard machine whilst still getting in there for smashes.

Hybrid shadows are good, Sents are good IMO Guardians just offer that little bit more to a group.

If your wanting the best 1v1 class then go sent or hybrid shadow if your wanting the best class that will do exceptionally well in 1v1 and offer far more to a pvp group irrespective of warzone then go guardian.

Former watchman spec sentinel (retired) , hybrid shadow (retired) and fresh faced guardian here.

Running a smash tank hybrid.

For me Guardian is the hands down winner we just have so much utility. The only class that can take me 1v1 is a very well played marauder/sent if your getting beat of snipers then your playing it wrong. We can hold a node v 5-6 men when all defs are off CD for more than long enough for reinforcements. We can keep the healer alive and if the healer is repaying the favour then your a guard machine whilst still getting in there for smashes.

Hybrid shadows are good, Sents are good IMO Guardians just offer that little bit more to a group.

If your wanting the best 1v1 class then go sent or hybrid shadow if your wanting the best class that will do exceptionally well in 1v1 and offer far more to a pvp group irrespective of warzone then go guardian.

What is your smash tank hybrid build please? Always looking for more viable Jugg/Guard builds. :)

I think it depends on what you are doing.

For tanking obviously sentinel is out. I find guardians make a better personal defender while shadows make a better defending someone without being in your face...if that makes sense.

For Novare Coast and Alderaan I think Shadows are the best for solo defending a node, Sentinels and Guardians are better for rolling with the group; and I think Sentinels and Shadows make the best Rambos.

For Voidstar all 3 are great. Obviously shadows' stealth is amazing here and CAN be a game winner (although sometimes stealth falls flat on its face); sentinels have a nice open area to fight in along with guardians where people are usually all over enough there's always a close target if they are trying to kite you.

For the new one truthfully I don't know tactics there well enough (I understand how it works but I don't know good strategies beyond the obvious) so I won't comment on that.

For Huttball they are again, all great, but I'd say Guardian and Shadow are ahead. Both can be tanks and that's great for ball carrying, Guardians are one of, if not, the best ball carrier in the game. Shadows can stealth, sprint and have good defensive CDs making them great receivers. Additionally both have a knockback (with pros and cons to each) which is great there. Sentinels have lots of little utilities that help there (a leap, a short stealth, and good defensives and a ops speed boost) that are nice but to me I enjoy huttball more on the other two compared to sentinel which is my main.