SWTOR Api for developers

aramilnaile

SWTOR developers,

First of all I'd like to say that I found a few topics about SWTOR Api's but I have never seen any official Bioware employee answer. We - web developers - cannot find any useful information, about realising any kind of web API, that would help us improve our websites and also Star Wars community world.

We ask You to take it seriously under the consideration because due to shared access to basic Character, Guild and Server information without any interference in these information, is able to hep us create more sophisticated portals with Star Wars information such us: character comparison, guild PVE progress, character achievements progress and in the future PVP rank list. Moreover we'd like to point out that other MMO games have their API's shared to their players.

With best regards!

May the force be with You.

Edited by aramilnaile
  • Like 1

Bump.

I hope that Bioware developers take this seriously. Could You just say if there will be any API or not? And if Yes how much time to we need to wait...

Now I'm making big project in SWTOR world and I don't know if I need to wait for API, or think about something else.

I agree and I think BW / EA needs to open up.

Internet community helps to build in-game community. World of Warcraft won't be this popular if there aren't that many of internet communities around. e.g Torhead is complete joke in terms of information compare to wowhead and they are made by same group of people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I'm a software engineer, and I'm waiting impatiently for an API. Could be fun to have access to a data feed that gives you information about your guild. guild members and their activities. But i know creating such an API would require a lot of resources and time/money, which I don't think they are prepared to invest in just yet, Even with all the benefits that it would bring.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

And as the devs said it more then once, all data is stored in databases (otherwise copying a character from one to another server wouldn't work either in my opinion, except they use a textfile for each and every character :rolleyes:)

And my personal opinion is, there isn't any bigger problem for not giving us a developer API as building a simple REST API, which is not as difficult as programming 3D shaders ;)

My best wish would be an API like the one they're currently introducing for guildwars 2, some simple webbased requests which return the data in json format or something like the facebook OpenGraph (which is also based on some simple webbased requests) where all data is represented as objects in the graph and every object could be queried for its properties.

Would be such a great thing for building thinks like e.g. a guild wide crafting table inside the guild forum where guild members could search for specific craftable items (and their material costs).

/greatbump

Edited by xeikonburns

• 1 month later...

This is definitely something that would be useful. I'm a huge fan of APIs, even if there's no real reason to use one.

Having created several APIs in my time, for various clients, I can say that over usage as well as misuse is a common thing. It'd take some effort to allow developers to access bits of information from the servers without breaking any sort of privacy and or data protection.

• 3 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.