Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Speilberg, Abrams, Favreau say no

BrandonSM

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/10/abrams-favreau-on-star-wars-episode-vii-rumors

"I think both J.J. and I come from a generation of people who formed our whole creative persona around what we experienced as kids from watching those films, and I have had the good fortune of working with George [Lucas] and around George, and whether it is doing a voice on Clone Wars, or being at the Skywalker Ranch mixing Iron Man – so I have been very happy and lucky to just experience the culture that Lucas has created, both in my own life growing up as a kid and professional – whether it was interviewing him at film festivals on stage, he is just a really wonderful, talented gifted guy who has changed the business so much, so I am just giddy, first and foremost as a fan, to see what happens with it."

Tarantino as well

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/11/09/news-spielberg-tarantino-snyder-on-star-wars-episode-vii

It looks as though we may be seeing a fresh director, as all the major one's are slowly coming out and saying No.

Thoughts?

Apart from spielberg they all say no because they know it will snow in hell before those

idiots get to make star wars.Tarantino lol, maybe he will have the movie talk us to death about nothing.

Hmm

Considering that Abrams and Favreau have all had made highly rated blockbuster films, I'd think its safe to say your in the minority.

Favreau, who did Iron Man 1 and Iron Man 2, Made, Elf, Cowboys and Aliens.

Abrams who did, Star Trek, Lost, Super 8, Mission Impossible 3, Fringe, Person of Interest, and Alias.

He too said no..

But I didn't think it was worth mentioning since I didn't like his past movies. However I do like him as a person and know he is a big SW Fans.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/08/kevin-smiths-poignant-thoughts-on-star-wars-vii

He did? That's a shame. He is a very good director no matter if one likes his movies or not. Personally I really dislike Tarantino's movies, as they are completely shallow, pointless, and utterly uninteresting (obviously imho - other people may like it :) ), but he is a very good director nonetheless, and has a great connection with actors.

I can't think of anyone good enough then.

Honestly I hate it how many people, including directors, presume that Star Wars under Disney will be horrible. First of all we can't do worse than EP1. Secondly - Marvel has it's most glorious movie days now after Disney takeover (the games suck though ;) ), and thirdly - besides the Old Republic era started with the KotOR 1, we haven't seen anything really good in SW universe since the 80's so... I guess some optimism is needed. We're on the bottom - now we can only bounce back :).

Too bad Jackson is already busy with the hobbit. He is a SW fan to heart and he could do something great with it.

And i am not suprised Speilberg said no. He's done with blockbusters movies, he said it after the last Indi movie.

Still they are a lot of other good directors out there.

Del Toro would be a fine choice. He is one of the few that think that CGI is not good for EVERYTHING! Just look at Pan's labyrinth. Pure pratical effect goodness.

Edited by sarazoul

Hmm

Considering that Abrams and Favreau have all had made highly rated blockbuster films, I'd think its safe to say your in the minority.

Favreau, who did Iron Man 1 and Iron Man 2, Made, Elf, Cowboys and Aliens.

Abrams who did, Star Trek, Lost, Super 8, Mission Impossible 3, Fringe, Person of Interest, and Alias.

JJ should never get close to star wars, man is a moron, talk about destroying star trek to make

a movie were Kirk is not even Kirk, and some patetic love stories in the movie to atract the braindead

US teens, no thank you.

Dude new star trek movie is nothing but garbage, pure garbage, and i'm a star trek fan aswell.

And Iron man 1-2 is not great movies by any means.Fun yes with some cool action but not great.

JJ should never get close to star wars, man is a moron, talk about destroying star trek to make

a movie were Kirk is not even Kirk, and some patetic love stories in the movie to atract the braindead

US teens, no thank you.

Dude new star trek movie is nothing but garbage, pure garbage, and i'm a star trek fan aswell.

And Iron man 1-2 is not great movies by any means.Fun yes with some cool action but not great.

Let's be honest here. JJ is not a moron just because he didn't made Startrek to what it used to be : a show for the sci-fi geeks. I know, i am one of them.

He chose to make a reboot to appeal to audiences of 2010+. Not old relics like us. While i do agree with you on the fact that the old ones were "smarter", the new one is a perfect REBOOT for the new public. And this is something the franchise definitly needed. Call JJ stupid all you want, he did a much better job than the directors on the 3 films that precedeed that reboot.

I love the old movies, Revenge of Khan was my favorite. But i think you are stuck in the past. The franchise needed to go on a new direction or die. JJ made the right choice. Time for a new generation of startrek fans. Like it or not.

Which is why i think it would be best to set episode VII hundreds of years after VI. Let the fan boys cry that Luke and han are not in it.

When you try to appeal the old fans too much you make stupid decisions. Like Anakin building C3PO as he was a kid. This was stupid non-sense. Same thing for resurrected Kirk fighting along side with Picard. Dumb and non-sense.

All done for one reason : To appeal to the old fans.

The old startrek had it's run, and is still enjoyable to watch today. Same for the starwars movies. Time for something new, just not as bad as the prequels.

Starwars needs to start fresh. No more vader, no more luke , no more C3PO. New characters, new vilains, same universe. And this is a hardcore fan of the original trilogy talking.

Edited by sarazoul

I love the old movies, Revenge of Khan was my favorite. But i think you are stuck in the past. The franchise needed to go on a new direction or die. JJ made the right choice. Time from a new generation of startrek fans. Like it or not.

You mean The Wrath of Khan was your favorite, right?

Edited by Asbiorn

Kevin Smith - I always wanted to see him as a maker of the new SW movies. And he didn't say "no" ;)... I just hope they will consider him.

Smith would be a horrible choice. Yes he likes Star Wars but he can't do action. All his movies revolve around people talking. He said himself he sucks at writing or directing action. I do not want a Star Wars movies where it's all dick and fart jokes.

Plus he said he has retired from making movies.

It's gonna be some craptard Disney contract director that works on commercials for Disneyland, garanteed.

The new movies are going to suck balls, because Disney does in fact... suck balls

Hmm'

Pirates of the Caribbean, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Aladdin, Mulan and, the Lion King would like a word with you.

All those movies are considered masterpieces among the general public except for maybe 2 of the POTC Movies.

Hmm'

Pirates of the Caribbean, Toy Story, Finding Nemo, Aladdin, Mulan and, the Lion King would like a word with you.

All those movies are considered masterpieces among the general public except for maybe 2 of the POTC Movies.

Okay, pretty much only POTC is applicable because the rest are animated, you can have the best animated director ever yet flunk out like fireballs when it comes to live actors, it requires more to direct live action and get the most out of the actors, where as animation it's as easy as adjusting a few settings, bam, the character is sad, again, bam, happy again.

As for POTC, they weren't masterpieces by any means. :p

Okay, pretty much only POTC is applicable because the rest are animated, you can have the best animated director ever yet flunk out like fireballs when it comes to live actors, it requires more to direct live action and get the most out of the actors, where as animation it's as easy as adjusting a few settings, bam, the character is sad, again, bam, happy again.

As for POTC, they weren't masterpieces by any means. :p

Give me an example of a good animated writer that took on Live-action and failed?

Let's be clear though, these sequels can't be any worse than the god awful prequels Mr Lucas delivered. The fact that Lucas isn't directing or writing the script already makes these sequels better than anything we have received in the last 15 years. I have high hopes purely because Lucas isn't allowed to screw it up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.