A Sawbones Guide to Alacrity

Azaranth

I respectfully suggest that if the limit of your PVE Healing Experience is, as mentioned earlier, Story Mode TFB, you're not really qualified to comment on end game encounter design as it relates to healing needs. (Apologies if I misunderstood your earlier point)

The whole post is chock full of good food for thought.

Just to be clear, I've tanked and DPS'd pretty much everything except NiM EC, and I'm a maniac about reviewing parse logs (part and parcel of being an effective Assassin/Shadow tank).

I don't claim to know the exact ins-and-outs of actually accomplishing the healing, but I do know when burst healing phases occur and about how much healing is required for all 8 man content except NiM EC.

Edited by Omophorus

The whole post is chock full of good food for thought.

Just to be clear, I've tanked and DPS'd pretty much everything except NiM EC, and I'm a maniac about reviewing parse logs (part and parcel of being an effective Assassin/Shadow tank).

I don't claim to know the exact ins-and-outs of actually accomplishing the healing, but I do know when burst healing phases occur and about how much healing is required for all 8 man content except NiM EC.

Please don't take my post as condescending, it's not intended that way. Promise :)

Healing Nightmare Kephess (in the aforementioned phase where he's applying his crazy DoT) is unlike healing anything else in this game. As I stated earlier, I don't think it'd even be possible without alacrity. You have to keep your SRMPs rolling, but you're basically cycling Underworld Medicine+ EMP (and sometimes Kolto Pack, when things get dicey enough) nonstop through this phase. Hope you brought adrenals! This phase defines healing throughput.

Not that I think it has much to do with the overall conversation, other than to suggest that throughput is important, and that it's a big part of the hardest encounter in the game right now. Again, I propose that you gear up for the hard parts of the game, not the easier parts.

Ultimately, my conversation always circles back to the heart of the matter: Surge beyond 300 sucks way more than Alacrity sucks. If there was another tertiary stat worthy of consideration we might make this into an interesting debate about when and how Alacrity is useful. However, since it's only a question of Surge versus Alacrity, and the effects of Surge beyond 300 rating are negligible, Alacrity has to be the choice by default.

• 3 months later...

Hi Swtor community- as an ex SWTOR designer and coder, i can tell you that- while the OPs analysis seems plausible, the math is all wrong I'll post how everything really works with respect to the "3 tiers." Alacrity is, in fact, a silent stat that is meant to be undervalued at risk of developers having to re-evaluate the entire game dynamic. I'm only telling you this because the game is F2P now, and I lost my job so iIhave nothong to lose besides my subscription

If this post doesn't get deleted quickly, i will show you a graph and quote some internal emails re: the main stats to include alacrity, surge, rtc. Believe me, you will find this interesting! I am only doing this because i am a disgruntled ex-employee. Believe what I post at your own risk.

EDIT: I have a bridge I'd like to sell you after reading this post. I am joking! Good job OP.

edit: Is alacrity the same as cast speed?

Edited by Genttry

Hi Swtor community- as an ex SWTOR designer and coder, i can tell you that- while the OPs analysis seems plausible, the math is all wrong I'll post how everything really works with respect to the "3 tiers." Alacrity is, in fact, a silent stat that is meant to be undervalued at risk of developers having to re-evaluate the entire game dynamic. I'm only telling you this because the game is F2P now, and I lost my job so iIhave nothong to lose besides my subscription

If this post doesn't get deleted quickly, i will show you a graph and quote some internal emails re: the main stats to include alacrity, surge, rtc. Believe me, you will find this interesting! I am only doing this because i am a disgruntled ex-employee. Believe what I post at your own risk.

EDIT: I have a bridge I'd like to sell you after reading this post. I am joking! Good job OP.

edit: Is alacrity the same as cast speed?

April fools is still 2 days away!

Thanks for the bump, but it's worth noting that this entire thread, and all the math contained therein is going to be totally obsolete in just over a week when 2.0 launches. When things go live, if there's still a lot of confusion about alacrity, I'll consider updating this thread with new information - but I suspect there will be an extremely simple rule of thumb that goes something like "Acquire 350 Surge, then stack Alacrity after that). We'll know more in a few weeks :)

Edited by Azaranth

Yeah, alacrity is going to have a profound effect with 2.0, mostly because it will apply to the GCD and regen rate. While there will be some classes that will have to heavily weigh the benefits of alacrity on their skill set, I'd wager that for Sawbones, it should be a no-brainer.

That said, I have spent zero time on the PTS so I don't know what it looks like in application.